• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What is the point in shield stops

ramz zeus

Smash Rookie
I have been playing ssbm for about a year and i just never seen a point it seems like their is always a better option like a pivot so in what scenario should you shield stop

Ocean Man

Smash Rookie
Using it instead of a perfect pivot is just more consistent I believe. There is a situation however I can think of where shield stop can help you but perfect pivot cannot. When you want to do a jump out of a dash, you can use shield out of dash to jump out of shield to be able to place a precise jump in that location. If you have ever seen Gravy's video about the mechanics of jump, you know that there is analog jump and also drift. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tY3XugmyMow Using shield stop simply gives the full range of analog jump, where as jumping straight out of a dash you have less control. It's about being able to put out a precise jump every time in this situation. For example if you try to do a jump backwards out of dash, you do not jump that far backwards. However, if you do shield stop jump backwards, you can get more distance.
I don't personally implement shield stops into my game but you can experiment with it and see if it helps you at all with anything.

1000g2g3g4g800999

Smash Journeyman
Note that you can still attack in the same direction if you pivot, but it's easier to shield stop, though you can do more things out of a pivot.

Being able to suddenly change from Falcon's insane speed to stopping on a dime not only augments Falcon's abilities to force reactions and respond to them but it allows you to space in neutral easier, particularly with aerials and grabs for shield stopping.

Shield stop nair is the main one you'll see, it lets you start at perfect positions and drift in either direction, or rapidly slow down if you want to continue forward. Shield stop uair, knee, and bair are also pretty great for this purpose, but you'll see them a lot less.

If you're dashing and see the opponent do something that will put them into a mostly set position at the end of the action, and it's a reasonable frame commitment (i.e. short hop approach or roll), then if you recognize you're in position, you can shield stop grab, stomp, knee, whatever to catch them as the piece falls into place.

Because throws launch people initially from a position determined by the person who grabbed rather than the one who got grabbed, you can use shield stops or similar techniques for stopping motion to have more control and give yourself a little more room onstage to continue a combo than if you JC grabbed.

Sure you can pivot for all of these things, but everything I mentioned is simply easier with a shield stop.

And of course, shield stopping with the intent to actually block an attempt to hit your out of your dash, or in any situation, can also be good.

タオー

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1146-8863
I usually try to think of shield stops mainly as a counter option, (so similar to the last bit you mentioned). If you can manage to PS out of your Shield Stop you can find reversals in high pressure situations; but I pretty much use pivot for everything else. Would be good to learn Shield Stops out of Dash for accessing neutral jump

Top Bottom