• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What is "safe on shield"?

Salty Senpai

Smash Rookie
More specifically, I'm not talking about long range or disjointed aerials that are easy to space on a shield to not get shield grabbed. I wanna know what aerials are safe on shield when shffl'd and followed by a quick move. Something like fox's d-air > shine or ivysaur's n-air > jab. I've been playing falcon a lot recently and I've been trying a lot of u-air or knee > jab, I don't know if that's even a legit thing or not tho. Please feel free to drop some knowledge about any character, I don't want this to just be a c-falcon thread. Also are there any characters that have nothing like this? Like their only way of avoiding shield grabs is safely spacing their aerials on shield?

TheRealBlueBlur

Smash Apprentice
Sheik, Fox, and Falco can do it with every aerial > jab, I'm pretty sure. I'd suggest grabbing the opponent after the aerial, though. There's a reason shield breaks barely happen in competitive play.

Narpas_sword

if you look at a lot of the character info threads about, you may see things like '+1 on shield' or '-3 on shield'
This refers to the amount of frames the person attacking the shield has after the attack hits (and L canceled if an aerial).
0 is no advantage, i.e. both players have the same amount of time to act.

Positive numbers mean the attacker has an x frame advantage
Negative is disadvantage.

Cant be sure on the math or how it works out.
Something to do with damage or knockback of the move, then subtracting the landing lag...
someone will need to elaborate.

And if a move has different hitting hitboxes, it can have a different result depending on which hitbox you hit with.

Last edited:

Salty Senpai

Smash Rookie
For sure. The majority of my competition at the moment are grabbing on reaction when I land tho, not holding up shield. So if I try to grab after the aerial wont my grab lose cause they will have time to start their grab first? That's why I thought something that comes out in less then 7 frames would be a better option to interrupt their shield-grab attempts. Out of those characters aerials tho what ones are most applicable/ easiest to perform? I'm guessing its d-air/n-air > jab/shine with fox and falco, and f-air > jab with sheik? Tell me if I'm wrong

Narpas_sword

The advantage/disadvantage (from what i understand) assumes you landed the attack on shield and Lcancel correctly.

You then have x frames to do something before your opponent can act out of their shield lag.

So, if you have a +1 adv. and you use a 3 frame Jab out of the move, your opponent needs something oos faster than 2 frames.
So, Samus UpbOos will still beat out a jab.

Salty Senpai

Smash Rookie
I see, what you said makes total sense. So I'm assuming that data also assumes your connecting with your aerial on shield as close to the ground as possible? Otherwise the number of frames advantage/disadvantage would change right? Also, some of the frame data threads include frame advantage on shield, and sadly some do not =\ like I couldn't find that specific info for Marth or Roy so far =\

Badge

Smash Apprentice
The advantage/disadvantage (from what i understand) assumes you landed the attack on shield and Lcancel correctly.
That, but it should also be emphasized that the given advantage always assumes that you landed on the frame after you hit (and that the aerial is unstaled). This is the reason that late aerials on shield can be safe when early aerials aren't (when both hit asap). Whether you can expect this to happen depends on a lot of factors including your own technical precision. E.g. Lucas DJC FAir always lands on the frame after hitting as long as the DJ was buffered and the attack performed during a lenient window and spacies mix up between early and late aerials on shield, where early aerials make their shine safe and late aerials are safe themselves.
Cant be sure on the math or how it works out.
Something to do with damage or knockback of the move, then subtracting the landing lag...
The math usually is <shieldstun> - <lag of the attack>, where shieldstun is (4.45 + Damage) / 2.235, rounded down, and the lag of the attack is l-cancelled landing lag for an aerial/however many frames until FAF after hitting for grounded attacks. In rare cases there are also hitlag modifiers involved, which only affect the attacker on shield and thus however much hitlag he suffers less the advantage is better.
Does all that info assume you are frame perfect?
Aside from the aerials having to land frame perfectly to have the given advantage, you have to time your followup option at least as good as your opponent to be sure to beat the options you expect to beat. Usually this isn't too much of a problem as you don't have to react while your opponent does, making it easier to be fast on the offensive. If you want to beat rolls or spotdodges by being faster you usually have to be frame perfect, though, because those can be buffered.

Salty Senpai

Smash Rookie
Ty Badge. You meant that early aerials are safe in themselves cause you have protective hit-boxes, and late aerials are safer on shield cause shield-stun and you have a more lenient window to follow up right? Serious question, trying to deeply understand this game and make sure I don't have something wrong.

Salty Senpai

Smash Rookie
Oh and not to change the subject too drastically... But how do you buffer a double jump?? Or could you explain in a tiny bit more detail what you were saying about Lucas double jump canceled f-air?

Badge

Smash Apprentice
Ty Badge. You meant that early aerials are safe in themselves cause you have protective hit-boxes, and late aerials are safer on shield cause shield-stun and you have a more lenient window to follow up right? Serious question, trying to deeply understand this game and make sure I don't have something wrong.
If you do a late aerial after a shine certain oos options, e.g. grab, can hit you that the opponent would be hit out of by an early aerial. In return you can shine directly afterwards to hit them out of most oos options, which would have been unavoidable after an early aerial.
Of course, which oos options you have to respect depends on many factors, so an attack can be safe on shield with a certain spacing or against one character, but unsafe with different spacing or against another character. E.g. Bowser's or G&W's UpB oos can hit you out of most shield pressure unless you space yourself in a way to avoid this (which is much easier against G&W). Frame advantage/disadvantage and the speed of your own attacks thus doesn't tell you the whole story. Often you can do weaker pressure if you manage to cross your opponent up in shield, because then the option of grab oos isn't available to them anymore.
Oh and not to change the subject too drastically... But how do you buffer a double jump?? Or could you explain in a tiny bit more detail what you were saying about Lucas double jump canceled f-air?
You can buffer jumps for up to 3 frames by trying to tap jump and holding up on the control stick. Buffering a DJ is done by jumping with a jump button and immediately after, while you're still in jumpsquat, hitting up on the control stick with tap jump on.
All I wanted to say with the Lucas example is that it can be really easy to get an aerial perfectly low to the ground with certain setups. I should have posted about the mechanics behind this on the Lucas boards. Usually though, you have to be frame perfect if you want to get all the possible advantage after the attack.
This is another distinction of how good shield pressure is. You shouldn't expect to always be frame perfect, even more so if there's no direct feedback whether you were or not.* The more lenient the execution of shield pressure is, the better.
The examples I gave were such lenient pressure techniques: For Lucas DJC FAir execution doesn't matter that much after a certain point - he just doesn't leaves a larger window before the attack, but the window after it (which we're looking at here) is unaffected. Spacies can get away with being a bit sloppy because every aerial timing has merit and mixing them up by mistake prevents opponents from picking up on habits as long as every important timing is hit sometimes. (of course, if you want to read your opponents timing, you have to be on point).

Another attribute that can affect how good an attack is to use as shield pressure ofc is how high the payout of hitting it is and how easy it is to react to hitting out of doing the shield pressure. Another Lucas example (because that's who I experimented with most): Lucas Magnet->wd back on shield is super safe as magnet is +4 on shield (into jump) and already disjointed, and because Lucas has a great wavedash making it hard to catch him. As magnet knocks the opponent backwards if it hits, it's also really easy to react to a hit once your opponent's percentage is high enough and start a combo/hit a killmove out of even an unexpected hit. Airborn magnet->DJC FAir is another option that both pressures the shield and has Magnet combo into FAir automatically on hit at lower percents. Both of these option give up your position on the opponent's shield, though.
Fox's shine->wd->shine is another good example. If the first shine hits you just initiated a waveshine and if it doesn't you at least got into position to pressure the opponent's shield on the backside of their shield. It's very unsafe frame wise, though.

*Frame perfect techniques like multishines/-magnets can be done with very good consistency easier, because you get direct feedback if you fail. Still, most people then don't do them perfectly, i.e. jump cancel later than possible and thus leave larger windows of opportunity for the opponent to escape than frame data would suggest. Drilling techniques without clear feedback to frame perfect consistency is much harder as the only ways to tell wether you messed up are training & experimenting until you're certain you hit the soonest possible timing or to have your opponent punish you for not hitting it.

If you're interested in how shield pressure works, these threads and/or posts might also interest you: 1 (Melee Fox) 2 (3.5 Lucas) 3 (2.5 Lucas) 4 (3.0 Wolf)

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
It depends a lot on what OOS options your opponent has. Against slower characters, you will have more frame safe moves on block.

There's a calculator here that will allow you to calculate how much frame advantage a move has on shield (just input the damage and L-cancelled landing lag values). 0 on block means frame neutral.

Also, note that moves that are frame negative on block are not necessarily unsafe on shield. Since OOS options are inherently limited, you can still be -2 on block for example and have an option that will come out before theirs. A good example would be a frame 3 jab vs a frame 7 grab.

Salty Senpai

Smash Rookie
Oh ok, I didn't get that we were talking about aerials out of shine. That makes more sense.

Thank you for teaching me DJ buffering and the magnet > WD or magnet >DJC fair. Gonna have to try those. Great timing too cause I was just playing around with movement of different characters last night and when I was playing Lucas I thought "this guy feels good."

Another question totally non-related to the thread but I feel like you might have an answer is...
While I was messin around with Lucas I felt like it was awkward to do Double jumped aerials without breaking momentum. Things like dropping from the ledge then using a rising bair back on stage. The only way I'm aware of of keeping your momentum in a double jumped aerial is by holding x or y. I use c-stick for pretty much every aerial that isn't nair. Is this just something you have to adapt to? Play claw? Switch your jump to z? Use A for aerials and have extremely quick fingers? Don't play Lucas? I always end these posts with so many questions lol.

Edit: also thank you for posting those threads on shield pressure. I'll check them out.

Last edited:

PsionicSabreur

Smash Journeyman
E.g. Lucas DJC FAir always lands on the frame after hitting as long as the DJ was buffered and the attack performed during a lenient window
Probably not the greatest place to ask, but since you brought it up, when I was breaking DJC fair down in debug mode the other day it seemed like a FF input was required exactly on frame 4 of fair's startup to get Lucas to land after the first hitbox frame (too early and the hitbox doesn't come out, and if you're fewer than ~4 frames late and hit something you won't FF because of hitlag), otherwise you lose 2 or 3 frames trying to get to the ground (don't remember exact numbers). My inputs were SH -> DJ on first airborn frame, fair the frame after. Is there something I'm missing?

Last edited:

Phaiyte

Smash Ace
long story short, you can move more and faster when your moves hit at the end of the animation rather than at the beginning, and it assumes you also fast fall and/or L canceled it for aerials.

Badge

Smash Apprentice
Probably not the greatest place to ask, but since you brought it up, when I was breaking DJC fair down in debug mode the other day it seemed like a FF input was required exactly on frame 4 of fair's startup to get Lucas to land after the first hitbox frame (too early and the hitbox doesn't come out, and if you're fewer than ~4 frames late and hit something you won't FF because of hitlag), otherwise you lose 2 or 3 frames trying to get to the ground (don't remember exact numbers). My inputs were SH -> DJ on first airborn frame, fair the frame after. Is there something I'm missing?
It still works for me (although the window for FAir is smaller than I'd thought with 2 frames, don't know if that changed from 3.0). Did you do the DJ input on the first airborn frame or the last frame of jumpsquat? It has to be the latter.

While I was messin around with Lucas I felt like it was awkward to do Double jumped aerials without breaking momentum. Things like dropping from the ledge then using a rising bair back on stage. The only way I'm aware of of keeping your momentum in a double jumped aerial is by holding x or y. I use c-stick for pretty much every aerial that isn't nair. Is this just something you have to adapt to? Play claw? Switch your jump to z? Use A for aerials and have extremely quick fingers?
Yes, you have to do any of those (or jump mapped to L/R or use the C-Stick with the ball of your thumb while holding X/Y with the tip). If you don't have a non tap-jump jump input held your DJ will be cancelled when you do an aerial (and always for specials).

PsionicSabreur

Smash Journeyman
It still works for me (although the window for FAir is smaller than I'd thought with 2 frames, don't know if that changed from 3.0). Did you do the DJ input on the first airborn frame or the last frame of jumpsquat? It has to be the latter.
Okay, figured it would be something like this. I somehow had it in my head that the DJ needed to happen on the first airborn frame, thanks for pointing that out.

Fortress

Smash Master
If nobody's mentioned it yet, learning how to cross up on an opponent is a good way to help stay safe on block. Again, if nobody's explained it, crossing up is basically when you attack your opponent's block from behind or are moving through them by some means as you hit their block.

Some examples are Luigi wavesmashing while moving through you, Sheik's Dash Attack, and Link's nAir spaced for the knee hit. Some followups I have as a Link player, for example, are nAiring on a crossup and shorthopping into a bAir for shield pressure.

Salty Senpai

Smash Rookie
Thanks Badge for answering my question.
Fortress you're a beast! Thanks for contributing. I'm gonna pay more attention to my cross ups now.
Any info/tips you guys have on ****ing with people's shields is welcome. I wanna make ppl scared to shield >=)

GaretHax

Smash Journeyman
Most properly-spaced aerials (and grounded moves) can be considered "safe", Smash is a very movement-oriented and varied game of deceptively complex interactions between players. So as an example; if you space an early marth fair on your opponents shield you should be out of their grab range, if they wavedash oos the try to grab you can fair or uair, but if they throw out a hitbox they can stuff your fair so it would be better to pull away and fastfall or waveland backwards to avoid it, if they stay in shield you can ff dash grab, or waveland grab, or just do another aerial/ just land and let them sit in shield. Frankly there are alot more options available, and not all of these are viable depending on the opponents' character, this is just an example of the difference between being at a "frame advantage" and being safe through positioning, another interesting thing to note is that perfect shields and shield DI can turn many "safe" moves into punishable mistakes.

Also the back of the other players' shield is generally a good place to be.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Iys1krZy7qg

Last edited:

Fortress

Smash Master
Learning proper 'block strings' is also something that transitions over slightly from traditional 2-D fighters. Put pressure on a shield such that you and your opponent are moved away from one another. With Link, you can usually do this with Jab1>Jab2>fading nAir.

Top Bottom