• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What is Marth and Lucina's sword reach compared to Link's?

Young Kai

Smash Rookie
I posted this in another site but I wanted to give the topic another chance and see if anyone could contribute their two cents.

I've been a big fan of weapon wielding characters in the Smash series and the Fire Emblem characters as well as Link as no exception. My copy of Smash isn't coming in until later in the month and I don't know anyone nearby who could help answer my question:

As I've read that Marth's sword range was nerfed slightly from Brawl to SSB4, how is the range of his sword-based attacks compared to Link's? By extension, how is Lucina's range with her sword attacks compared to Link's, given that she is shorter than Marth?

This is not a way to decide ultimately which character I would rather prefer, rather that questions interest me as well as their answers. Thank you to anyone who can help.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
I believe that when compared to Link, Marth has a similarly ranged weapon.

I have played both of them a good amount, and I have noticed that while they do have practically the same range, Link always leans in when he attacks. He moves forward, giving the illusion that he has more reach with each strike, side smash is a good example of this.

However, Marth tends to use his range a little more effectively. Where Link swings somewhat wildly, Marth often uses thrusts and precision-focused attacks. Marth's up smash out ranges Link's because of this.

Now, Lucina comes into the mix being a slightly smaller character. Her sword length is equal to Marth's, but her smaller body gives the illusion that she has less range than he does. But this is actually good for her because she doesn't need to worry about landing precise hits on the opponents like Marth has to. However, Lucina can't match Marth's and Link's levels of strength.

Ultimately, what it comes down to is NOT the lengths of the sword, but the playstyle of the character.

Link is slower, generally more powerful, and is most dangerous at mid to long range. Should he get close, killing isn't an issue.

Marth is fast, and though he can fight well at close-range, mid-range is where he wants to be to land his tipped hits. All his damage and kill power resides in the tip of his blade, and they are deadly.

Lucina is just as fast as Marth, but her sword is balanced equally. Being closer or further does not change her attack strength. As such, there is no reason to fight any further than close-range. Get in the opponent's face, that's where she works best.

It's your choice which character to use, but it's how you use them that matters.

Random4811

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Random4811
3DS FC
3093-7532-1720
I believe that when compared to Link, Marth has a similarly ranged weapon.

I have played both of them a good amount, and I have noticed that while they do have practically the same range, Link always leans in when he attacks. He moves forward, giving the illusion that he has more reach with each strike, side smash is a good example of this.

However, Marth tends to use his range a little more effectively. Where Link swings somewhat wildly, Marth often uses thrusts and precision-focused attacks. Marth's up smash out ranges Link's because of this.

Now, Lucina comes into the mix being a slightly smaller character. Her sword length is equal to Marth's, but her smaller body gives the illusion that she has less range than he does. But this is actually good for her because she doesn't need to worry about landing precise hits on the opponents like Marth has to. However, Lucina can't match Marth's and Link's levels of strength.

Ultimately, what it comes down to is NOT the lengths of the sword, but the playstyle of the character.

Link is slower, generally more powerful, and is most dangerous at mid to long range. Should he get close, killing isn't an issue.

Marth is fast, and though he can fight well at close-range, mid-range is where he wants to be to land his tipped hits. All his damage and kill power resides in the tip of his blade, and they are deadly.

Lucina is just as fast as Marth, but her sword is balanced equally. Being closer or further does not change her attack strength. As such, there is no reason to fight any further than close-range. Get in the opponent's face, that's where she works best.

It's your choice which character to use, but it's how you use them that matters.
Lucina can't play close range any better than Marth. In fact, she needs spacing more than Marth does, Ironically, because none of her attacks are safe.

I posted this in another site but I wanted to give the topic another chance and see if anyone could contribute their two cents.

I've been a big fan of weapon wielding characters in the Smash series and the Fire Emblem characters as well as Link as no exception. My copy of Smash isn't coming in until later in the month and I don't know anyone nearby who could help answer my question:

As I've read that Marth's sword range was nerfed slightly from Brawl to SSB4, how is the range of his sword-based attacks compared to Link's? By extension, how is Lucina's range with her sword attacks compared to Link's, given that she is shorter than Marth?

This is not a way to decide ultimately which character I would rather prefer, rather that questions interest me as well as their answers. Thank you to anyone who can help.
Marth's sword is longer than in Brawls, so no his range has not been nerfed. I think the hitbox doesnt extend as many pixels outside of his sword as it did in previous games though. However, I believe Marth has better range than Link.

At the very least, he has better disjoints and better priority.

As for Lucina, her range problems are mainly vertical, and you wont notice them much unless fighting on battlefield. If you are, you can laugh at her when she tries to hit you from the platform on the ground. Its a lot harder for her.

Last edited:

Cha Cha San

Smash Cadet
Link has better range because he leans in the direction he's attacking a lot of the time. Link's attacks tend to be slower and have its hitbox out longer as well.

Top Bottom