• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What is Kirby's playstyle?

Omega Male

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, I have been jumping from main to main for a while, slowly narrowing it down... But I was wondering if anyone could tell me what Kirby's general play style is. I realize everyone has their own way of playing, but some characters are more defensive or aggressive than others. Just trying to see if Kirby might fit how I like to do things! :D Thanks!

jayeldeee

Smash Journeyman
Kirby can go either way. It just depends on how you want to play him. I've seen him go either way.

Jethroo

Smash Journeyman
Just like jayldeee said. I personally play my best when i'm able to play a hit and run style. I think to fully utilize kirby you have to be able to play both and it is a good way to change the pace of a match by switching your style.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Id say its more of a bait and punish kind of playstyle. Very similar to Sheik, Pika, or Peach in Melee, and Pit, or Wario on PM. Mix up being agressive and defensive. Watch for anything your opponent does, condition them, bait them, and punish hard Kirby has a very good combo game, similar to Pit's. Copy abilities can help you change your playstyle on a dime to keep your opponent guessing. Copy is a very underrated move.

I literally watch M2k, Axe, and Armada Melee videos for ideas lol. And Zero, Reflex, Coney, and Ripple vids in PM.

Last edited:

Garde Noir

Smash Journeyman
However, the style that you play will dictate which moves work better for you. A campy player is more likely to utilize jump-Nair, and jump-Bair, and love the suck. Aggro players tend to like Dash attacks, F-smash, and tilts for combos. Find which moves you like to help determine your play style!

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
I would call myself an aggro player, and i hate using normal dash attacks, its either from the ledge or a land cancelled one. But Kirby literally can be played similar to anyone in the game except maybe spacies.

Random23

Smash Cadet
Definetly use my kirby as a rushdown character, disrespect the opponents shield and mixup with grabs on it. Techchasing is fun, swallowcide is fun.

Vert

Smash Cadet
From all my friends around me in MD/VA my Kirby is always compared to Chu's. They say I'm much more aggressive than any other Kirby they've seen. I love going in peoples faces with shffl f-airs. Or spacing them out with shff hammers. I'm just in their face until I'm on the ledge. When I'm on the ledge I'll chill and wait. Either bait a swallow-side or say "screw this" and go in when I have the chance.

Kirby can honestly go either way. Just find your play style. I wanted to start playing a bit more defensively but I've just been not playing the proper aggressive game. Time to go back to the lab and study up!

Top Bottom