• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What is it that makes Diddy "top-tier"?

PacBeast

Smash Rookie
NNID
CRYN1ME
3DS FC
4871-4293-8599
I really don't see it. I find him predictable and laughably gimpable. When he uses a banana peel I rush him and get him off the stage before he can throw it.
His recovery is weird, needing to charge it but if you get him low enough then he'll die because it slowly lowers you as you charge it, which is pretty easy to do.

So what is it that makes him to good?

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
When discussing character's viability in the current meta, you're going to have way better luck posting in the competitive impressions thread here. You probably don't even have to post, as Diddy is a hot topic. You can search for people's thoughts on Diddy Kong there.

Also, the thread right below yours is "Why does everyone think that Diddy Kong is the best character?"... If you see a thread like that, you should probably join in on the discussion there instead of making your own thread.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Best approach in the game with banana or Side B, which is also great out of shield. Two of his aerials are probably the best aerials in the game ; F Air and U Air, and they combo and finish off very well both. Is great at getting grabs, has two projectiles which are both usable in their own way, he's extremely mobile, has little lag on his moves and he has the most reliable finisher combo in the game.

Negative sides would be that he's worse in teams and his recovery is messy.

PacBeast

Smash Rookie
NNID
CRYN1ME
3DS FC
4871-4293-8599
Best approach in the game with banana or Side B, which is also great out of shield. Two of his aerials are probably the best aerials in the game ; F Air and U Air, and they combo and finish off very well both. Is great at getting grabs, has two projectiles which are both usable in their own way, he's extremely mobile, has little lag on his moves and he has the most reliable finisher combo in the game.

I see. Thank you for clarifying, though for me, I don't see Diddy as much of a problem, but then again I might just be playing people who aren't using him to the best of his abilities. Thanks again.

Last edited:

Empty Number

Smash Journeyman
I see. Thank you for clarifying, though for me, I don't see Diddy as much of a problem, but then again I might just be playing people who aren't using him to the best of his abilities. Thanks again.
Your main also stuffs most of Diddy's approaches, so...

phili

Smash Apprentice
NNID
phili11
another thing i've noticed, if you're playing For Glory mode, 95% of the diddy's on there don't really know what they're doing in the neutral game. all they really know is dthrow > uair, which they think is going to make them instantly way better at the game.

if you play in tournaments and you still find diddy easy to handle, it's probably as @ Empty Number Empty Number pointed out, your main has many projectiles that negate diddy's approaches

piscaso

Smash Cadet
The Hoo-Hah:
Dthrow to uair
Its got everyone in a tissy, because it can kill, and be used at almost any percent. It's the best throw kill combo in the game, but I'm just waiting until he's either nerfed or until sheik is the one people cry about.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789

Sideb is a pretty bad approach seeing as it's spotdodgeable on reaction. It's more for punishing landings and jumps with the kick from a distance. The grab is mostly just for people who have been conditioned to shield on reaction to pressure. Defensively you can use sideb to land safely from juggles, and now it can be used for crawl sliding and b-reversed popgun cancel sliding.

Hoo Ha is DIable at higher percents so now it's more about trying to set up aerial frame traps rather than guaranteed KOs. I think some people are uthrowing at higher percents now because people always DI for dthrow.

Last edited:
Top Bottom