• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What is "easier" about PM? And what "feels off" about it vs Melee?

JipC

Smash Journeyman
I know there is some weird 1-frame increase to jumpsquat but what else? Why do people keep calling PM easy? I asked someone what they specifically didnt like about PM and they went on about how Falcon combos are super easy in PM but they didnt really explain why they were.

As for the second part, I hear it a lot, what is it exactly that makes it not "feel" as good as Melee?

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
I know there is some weird 1-frame increase to jumpsquat but what else? Why do people keep calling PM easy? I asked someone what they specifically didnt like about PM and they went on about how Falcon combos are super easy in PM but they didnt really explain why they were.

As for the second part, I hear it a lot, what is it exactly that makes it not "feel" as good as Melee?
It's not a weird one frame jumpsquat increase. Melee is bugged so that every jumpsquat is read one frame earlier than they're supposed to be.

MegaMissingno

Smash Ace
NNID
missingno
It's not a weird one frame jumpsquat increase. Melee is bugged so that every jumpsquat is read one frame earlier than they're supposed to be.
How do you know it's a bug? And at this point you can pretty much just call all of Melee's "bugs" features, it's just part of the game that people are used to by now.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
How do you know it's a bug? And at this point you can pretty much just call all of Melee's "bugs" features, it's just part of the game that people are used to by now.
Because it's well documented that an error in the program is what causes the frame to not check for the full amount it's supposed to? And a majority of melee's gameplay is not bugs.

MegaMissingno

Smash Ace
NNID
missingno
Because it's well documented that an error in the program is what causes the frame to not check for the full amount it's supposed to? And a majority of melee's gameplay is not bugs.
Source on that documentation?

Leafeon

Verdant Pokémon
That's not really a source which claims it's a bug... but it's not untrue either.

Whether it's a bug or not doesn't really matter-- the actuality of it is that it's harder for no reason. If a melee player came from their game to PM with already consistent short hop timings, they would still consistently shorthop, so it really shouldn't be that big of a deal. Having better control over your character should be a good thing.
Arbitrary difficulty is hardly a "feature." But I'm not saying it's a bug either. Who knows what melee devs were thinking when they did stuff.

Last edited:

MegaMissingno

Smash Ace
NNID
missingno
[quotes in quotes]
Okay, that's a source explaining that PM's behavior is different, but that's not what I was asking for. I'm asking for a source proving that Melee's behavior is a bug.

That's not really a source which claims it's a bug... but it's not untrue either.

Whether it's a bug or not doesn't really matter-- the actuality of it is that it's harder for no reason. If a melee player came from their game to PM with already consistent short hop timings, they would still consistently shorthop, so it really shouldn't be that big of a deal. Having better control over your character should be a good thing.

Arbitrary difficulty is hardly a "feature." But I'm not saying it's a bug either. Who knows what melee devs were thinking when they did stuff.
Yeah I'm not getting into whether it's better or worse this way, simply that the argument that's it's just a bug that PM fixed doesn't hold. Unless you're able to read HAL's minds, we have absolutely no way of knowing what was intended and what wasn't. All we know for sure is that this is how the game works, intended or not. Developer intent shouldn't even matter anyway.

Last edited:
Top Bottom