• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What is considered the competitive Mii Gunner pick?

Magikarpow

Smash Journeyman
Seeing as how it is somewhat likely the Miis will be able to use thier "customs" in the future. I wanted to discuss the main moveset most Mii Gunners should be picking.

For Neutral B, Grenade Launcher is the usual "best" move, but charge shot can offer potential earlier kills.
For Side B, I believe Flame Pillar is considered the "best", but others say that missiles are decent tools as well.

Up-B - This is where it starts getting a little difficult- Lunar Launch and Arm Rocket are both decent recoveries- but Arm Rocket has the slight advantage of being able to control the direction more, versus the Lunar Launcher ability to deal some damage. Also, Cannon Uppercut may be a better option when facing characters that have a lot of laggy moves, life Ganondorf.

Down-B: This is also difficult- obviously the bomb is better on physical only enemies but their are other options. The shine gives you some advantages over characters like Sheik- and the Vortex has advantages over characters like Ness and has the added bonus of increasing your jump height slightly. (And stalling you in the air)

I have seen suggestions that 3132 is the most competitive orientated Mii. But with many options for each move I want to hear want you guys think.

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
3312 is easily the best set for Mii Gunner. San and I have come to an agreement that 3312 is very solid and the most optimal one.

*Grenade- This move is amazing! Charge shot is nice, but grenade is just better.

*Missile- Easily better than Flame Pillar. This move zones, sipes and gimps. It also leads to some amazing traps, thanks to the homing missiles.

*Default Up b(1)- This one is the best and most versatile one. Lunar launch has not hitbox,and the uppercut is great! But it's recovery is crap. Not worth the trade off.

*Bomb Drop- Instant staple. The other two suck. Don't ever bother with reflect or absorb.

Djmarcus44

Smash Journeyman
3312 is the best set for the gunner, but it is not the best for every matchup. Reflect and absorber are useful against zoners to help control the neutral. They also boost recovery (missile and bomb drop are too laggy for this purpose). By the way, reflector is not that useful for sheik because her needles do not go very far when reflected.

Magikarpow

Smash Journeyman
3312 is the best set for the gunner, but it is not the best for every matchup. Reflect and absorber are useful against zoners to help control the neutral. They also boost recovery (missile and bomb drop are too laggy for this purpose). By the way, reflector is not that useful for sheik because her needles do not go very far when reflected.
Ok, thanks. While on the subject, what do you believe is the height/weight of Miis. I always use Short and Thin, but tall Miis have more range. Also I believe fat miis have a benefit too, but I forget which.

Djmarcus44

Smash Journeyman
25/0 is considered the best set. It will allow the gunner to have a decent amount of range while having amazing mobility. Fatter miis will have slightly more hitstun and weight at the expense of speed. The hitboxes also appear wider when the weight is increased.

Valamway

Smash Apprentice
NNID
i38VWi
I don't get why Lunar Launch is good.
It seems more like its a trade-off between having a strong recovery move and having a strong attack.
Why wouldn't you want to prioritize one or the other instead of taking an average mix and ending up with a move that does decent recovery and is almost useless as an attack?

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
Why would you use reflect and absorb against zones when Bomb drop gets the job done better? Mii Gunner is the best zones in smash 4 and there no reason why you'd ever need to use reflect or absorb against another zones. You will easily out zone them yourself. Bomb drop is too good to remove. You get rid of one of Mii Gunners best options for two extremely lackluster and situational moves(reflect and absorb). Missile and bomb drop too laggy? What? Are you using the character correctly? You space his projectiles at a right distance and b reverse them to keep the run away game going. Missile is Gunners best side b and bomb drop is his best down b. I will believe reflect and absorb are good choices, when I see a Mii gunner running those two moves make it far in a stacked tournament with that. So far I haven't seen any. Reason why 3312 is superior in every way, is because it the best. Flood the stage with projectiles, while playing a strong keep away game. Up B(1) provides longevity and allows Mii Gunner to tank very well and get on the offensive when needed for a funny stage spike.

For the guy who asked about the best sizes for Gunner. 25/0 and 0/0 are best, but you should practice with 50/50, because all tournaments that allow Miis only allow Guest size 50/50 with the ability to use any customs. 3312 is the most viable set for 50/50 Gunner.

Djmarcus44

Smash Journeyman
I was talking about reversing direction with a special in the air and gundashing back to the stage for recovery. I am sorry that I didn't make that clear in my earlier post. Also, I agree that bomb drop is better overall, but it may be better to switch to reflector or absorber for certain opponents if it is possible. Mii Gunner is a strong zoner, but it is easier to beat characters such as villager with a reflector.

Last edited:

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
Why would you use reflect vs Villager? Why reflect against anyone? 3312 easily handles villager and projectile based characters easily, because Mii Gunner outzones everyone badly. I've played so many experienced Players with 3312 and have won. No need to switch this set, because getting rid of Grenade, Missile, default up b(1), and bomb drop severely hurts Mii Gunner. Mii Gunners only bad MU's are Sheik, Mario, Rosalina, Fox, Falco, and Palutena. 3312 handles the whole cast pretty well. There really is no need to counterpick a move vs a certain character.

Djmarcus44

Smash Journeyman
Using reflect against villager does help gunner land and recover with more ease. This is also true when facing Megaman. It is also good for stopping projectiles that go through the specials of gunner (such as the charge shot of Samus). I do understand that these advantages do not warrant a mandatory change for those opponents. On the other hand, they may help a player perform better in the matchup. In conclusion, changing specials is more of a matter of personal preference, and I agree that 3312 is the best moveset for mii gunner. By the way, did you mean that mii gunner loses to palutena with her best moveset (I don't see how gunner would lose to default palutena)?

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
Palutena has reflect and her reflect literally walls Mii Gunner entirely. If she gets the damage or stock lead... Good luck getting in on her. My friend TLTC is one of the best Palutenas in the US and his Palutena is just annoying. I've also gotten to play against AeroLink. Palutena is only a threat, because of reflect. You have to play super smart and ultra patient vs reflect based characters.

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
Some questions.

When you say the Grenade is the best, is this accounting for its nerfs? I'm willing to believe it's still the best, but I'd want to hear more on what it offers over Charge Shot even post-nerf.

Also, when you prefer the Lunar Launcher up-B (let's not call it 'default', remember the Miis have no defaults)... is this even bearing in mind its vulnerability to people chasing you off-stage? A lot of people cite this same vulnerability on Robin and Duck Hunt as major reasons they're held back from doing well in competitive play.

I'm easily willing to believe the Side-B and Down-B being largely no-brainer choices, but the Neutral and Up B I would like to hear more on.

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
Some questions.

When you say the Grenade is the best, is this accounting for its nerfs? I'm willing to believe it's still the best, but I'd want to hear more on what it offers over Charge Shot even post-nerf.

Also, when you prefer the Lunar Launcher up-B (let's not call it 'default', remember the Miis have no defaults)... is this even bearing in mind its vulnerability to people chasing you off-stage? A lot of people cite this same vulnerability on Robin and Duck Hunt as major reasons they're held back from doing well in competitive play.

I'm easily willing to believe the Side-B and Down-B being largely no-brainer choices, but the Neutral and Up B I would like to hear more on.
Grenade is better, even with the nerfs, because it can be used for almost all times. You can B-Reverse it for insane mix ups, ledge Guard with it, slow opponent down(when they block) with it, run away and still shoot it, you can gimp with it, and it kills early if you are in rage mode. This move is easily the best projectile in the game. Charge shot is good, but grenade is more versatile and just better. Grenade can be used anytime and requires no time to waste on charging. Tournaments that allow Miis only allow 50/50 size and Charge shot is too risky to use with 50/50. 0/0 can get away with charge shot for being smaller, faster and having more time to charge, but 50/50has less charging time for being slower and getting rushed down too easily. You can't B-reverse and protect yourself with charge shot, like you can with grenade. Again tournaments only allow 50/50 size, so lunar launch is a no brainier. Uppercut sucks with 50/50, because you literally get gimped left and right. Uppercut is only good with 0/0 Gunner. 3 up b has no hitbox at all and if you angle it wrong, you'll end up killing yourself. LL is just more reliable and has better control. You can also get some cute gimps and stage spikes with it. 3312 is superior in every way. San and I have used this set to great success. I've beaten DKwill, SS(one of the best villagers in the us), Denti, and many other advance players with this set. Literally the best set.

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
Ok, that's a pretty interesting look at it. So basically you're saying, on the Up-B choices, that I'd have to just live with being vulnerable to attacks from above in return for better recovery range and edgeguarding shenanigans?

I'm willing to believe that. Will also give the grenades another try since truth be told I'm not happy with Charge Shot anyway. Thanks for the thoughts!

Valamway

Smash Apprentice
NNID
i38VWi
I can see UpB1 being the best for midweight Mii, since it's a fast burst that keeps a lot of maneuverability.
It's a lot harder to mix up your recovery with 3, and you can barely recover at all with 2.

But I've barely played with bomb drop or missiles at all; I guess I need to try them.

Last edited:

Djmarcus44

Smash Journeyman
Palutena has reflect and her reflect literally walls Mii Gunner entirely. If she gets the damage or stock lead... Good luck getting in on her. My friend TLTC is one of the best Palutenas in the US and his Palutena is just annoying. I've also gotten to play against AeroLink. Palutena is only a threat, because of reflect. You have to play super smart and ultra patient vs reflect based characters.
This is more of a problem for default size, right? It is easy to drop grenades and bombs over the reflector in a safe and speedy manner with 25/0.

Last edited:

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
This is more of a problem for default size, right? It is easy to drop grenades and bombs over the reflector in a safe and speedy manner with 25/0.
He does Slighty better smaller size, but again, any touenammets that allow Miis tend to only allow 50/50 size only. 50/50 Gunner is great, he just isn't as good as 0/0 Gunner.

Top Bottom