• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

what is a good secondary for Lucas?

GHOST4700

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MeatloafLP794
I need to find a secondary for Lucas in pm, mainly for the characters Meta knight, Tink and Marth mainly because I just don't know how to beat these three.
:toonlink::marth::metaknight:<---------------------- :demon:

Eisen

Smash Ace
NNID
AndroidPolaris
I may be biased because I use these characters, but other than obvious other top tiers, I'd say Samus or Metaknight, depending.

Samus because she's absolutely a technically-oriented character, possibly moreso than Lucas. What Samus does is contradict Lucas in almost every other way. She's more about controlling the field and getting solid punishes, where Lucas is more of seek and destroy, so to speak. Also, Samus doesn't get comboed the same ways Lucas does, so if you have a good Samus to backup your Lucas, it could really throw some opponents off. Plus, not many people play Samuses, making her harder to have solid information on. But most importantly, from what I know at least, she's known to upset some MUs that I think give Lucas a harder time like Link, Falco, maybe Sonic? I'm not too sure, but generally she seems to me like a better idea than most characters.

For similar reasons, Link/Tink may work. Link if you're capable of using Projectiles for control, Tink if you want to play more like Lucas than Link but still be different to an extent? I don't know.

Metaknight I say because he's a lot like Lucas. Very much about rushing-down your opponent, and in theory he's like Lucas in the getting comboed and dying early department (albeit as of 3.02 Lucas doesn't have this weakness, but he will in 3.5) for different reasons than Lucas. Metaknight is just plain easy to kill off the blastzones, but has a really good recovery. Lucas in 3.5 will have the better survivability weight, but will have a worse recovery. Otherwise, they're a lot alike. Multihit aerials for pressuring/fear tactics, really solid kill moves, amazing movement options that ultimately serve the same purpose. To me, Metaknight's multijump baiting/mindgames/mixups are just as potent as Lucas' crazy horizontal movement, DJC, and magnet cancelling options. And, again, they work to the same ends.

As I said, this may just be my experience, but I felt that Metaknight was the easiest to pick up. But then again, I don't know how my playstyle differs from yours, so...

If you're just looking for matchup coverage, look for a character who's as opposite to Lucas as possible without being too low-tier. Heavyweights and projectile-heavy characters come to mind. However, keep in mind that some characters like Diddy, Lucas himself, etc, are likely getting the nerf hammer very soon.

Other than that, my only advice is to think more on your own terms of what a secondary should be. What/who feels most "right" to you?

Last edited:

[404]

Smash Rookie
I see alot of Lucas Mains Secondary Lucario. Neon is a great example, and I also see pink fresh play him from time to time.

I myself second Lucario ( I did so before I knew about others seconding him). The only thing you may have to get used to is the lack of hitstun and priority on some of his moves, mut you will eventually get used to this. But I feel that after I warmup with Lucario, my Lucas tech is better because I am used to doing Lucario's light speed combos.

On a bit of an unrelated note, if you want to try to get better against metaknight, check out ArizonaProjectMelee, just about every week it ends up with Neon and K9 in the Grand Finals, and are both exellent players. THat should help you learn the metaknight matchup

Top Bottom