• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What I do AGAINST Monado Arts (Opinion)

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
I main Shulk, which is nice, but when I'm another Character against a Shulk and they like using Das Monado a bunch, I usually go through some protocols to avoid getting my rear end handed to me.

Jump - This is your time to go on the offensive, but expect them to do alot of Fast Fallers and attacks that send you upward.
Also Edgeguarding. Expect alot of that.

Speed - If used by a skilled Shulk, you can rack up more damage than if you used Buster on some occasions, so my usual tactic is GET THE HELL OUT OF THERE. If you have projectiles, do not be afraid to use them. Just be careful, as Shulk can bum-rush you if you're a large/heavy character like Bowser pretty quickly.

Shield - Get on and upon him (Get on the offensive), but be careful as he might pull of a quick Smash Attack after taking a hit which has taken me off-guard a few times (And even killed me some times, in which I cringe a bit). Or just throw him off a cliff and see him Little Mac or scramble to get Monado Jump up.

Buster - If used when you're at early-mid percents, I recommend you stay from afar and used Long-Ranged attacks or Projectiles to build up his % easy while he has the debuff from Buster up. If used when you're at High Percents, feel free to laugh at him for a bit and bum-rush him while he scrambles to either try and attack you with the obvious down-side or get Monado Smash up.

Smash - Vice-Versa of Buster. If used at early-mid percents, laugh at him and rack up damage with the Debuffs he has from Smash, and if you're at High Percents, get out of there.

And now you know how to counter das Monado, atleast, in my way.

...Which won't help you from taking me on since I use No-nado Shulk.
I don't need Arts to help me win. :4shulk:

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Jump: If he's onstage in this stance and not jumping/making use of the improved attributes, then there's literally no reason to have it equipped and it was probably an accident. If they are using it optimally just bait and punish them while they are in the air or position yourself to punish him on the ground. If they are just spamming n-air you can challenge it if you have a read since it is slow as hell.

Speed: Probably the most difficult to work against if you don't know what to expect, and one of the easiest if you do. No Shulk will be in this stance unless they want to come to you. Try to keep to the ground unless you have something you can do in the air to go toe-to-toe with n-air's range if they are using that to approach. In that scenario I'd recommend turning around before you shield if you suspect they'll go for landing behind you with n-air. If they are approaching from the ground just aim for getting them to shield. It'll stop them dead in their tracks and in that moment Speed becomes utterly useless (they can't make use of it until they get out of their shield).

Shield: If you have a projectile, camp them. There's nothing they can do but shield, and if they are trying to survive or get in some extra damage before dying then staying in the stance is almost completely detrimental to that. If you don't have a projectile, it's still not a bad idea to just avoid him unless your character can get some combos off, which he is prone to at later than usual percents in this art.

Buster: If you get the advantage, don't change anything up because this art is only benefiting you. Keep on the aggression and don't give Shulk any room to breathe. If you have good projectiles, camping isn't such a bad idea either since Buster doesn't affect Shulk's movement speed in any shape or form. Avoid getting grabbed while he's on the ground, and try to powershield any of his aerials so that you can punish them easier. Respect up tilt if you're in the air, but try to never airdodge to the ground in doing so; I see people do that way too much after getting up thrown. Also, your kill moves will kill Shulk earlier.

Smash: If he's at low percents, aim for getting him offstage and gimping him. Your attacks deal more knockback against him so you can push him offstage easier and knock him further away once you have him there. Shulk doesn't have the least difficult time working against edgeguards. If it's too risky he'll switch to Jump to make it back. If he's at higher percents with this art equipped, it's extremely dangerous for both sides. Basically play how you would against a Shulk in Buster, but keep in mind that just about all of his attacks in this particular stance are unsafe on shield.

Last edited:
I can add a tip against smash in particular since the rest seem covered up

- Play safely against smash art. Shield his attacks and go for the punish. Shulk players will usually try to go for reads to KO you so as said, play safely. Respect air slash OoS and its insane range

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
And now you know how to counter das Monado, atleast, in my way.
...Which won't help you from taking me on since I use No-nado Shulk. I don't need Arts to help me win. :4shulk:
Good thing I can play strictly Vanilla Shulk too. Let's have a Vanilla Shulk ice cream ditto sometime.

Top Bottom