• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What games have come out since Brawl and how will they appear in SSB4?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Looking back at the Wii's line-up I realise that a lot of franchises released thier last game in the gap between Melee and Brawl. F-Zero had an Anime tie-in for the GBA, Earthbound had Mother 3 and Star Fox's newest game is the 3DS remake of 64.

Others have had it better, Mario had the Galaxy sub-series, Zelda had many DS Releases for Toon Link along with Skyward Sword, Pokemon had Gen V and even Kirby had a boon with Epic Yarn, Return to Dreamland and Mass Attack. And Sonic pulled himself out the grave with Unleashed (the Day levels at least), Colors and Generations.

My point is, Brawl focused a lot on the titles in the gap between itself and Melee so how do you think these games will be referenced? I think the next Sonic Stage will be based off of Sonic Colors.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I think that the best approach for Smash 4 to take would be to show love for all generations of Nintendo games, not just "updating" everything to match whatever the latest game is in each series. I'm not saying we shouldn't have Mario Galaxy or Skyward Sword stages; I'd love those. However, I also would love to see new stages based on Super Mario 64 and, say, A Link to the Past.

I feel like Smash (or at least Brawl) has this tendency to focus on only the very recent and the retro. The Donkey Kong stages introduced were based on DK's most recent mainstream game, Jungle Beat, and the iconic original arcade game. Mario stages have shown a trend toward being either "retro" stages such as Mario Bros. or Mushroom(y) Kingdom, or based on Mario's most recent hits at the time (Delfino Plaza). Pertaining to Smash 4, this becomes a problem with series that haven't had a game since Brawl (and many haven't), or with series that haven't had a game since before Brawl (like Ice Climber). Nintendo has slowed down its growth since Brawl's release, and we haven't seen the sort of booming activity of the development of classic and new IPs that pervaded the period between Melee and Brawl. I think the best route to take is to try and best represent each series through their most iconic material from throughout their histories. There's nothing that can really be done to update the F-Zero content, for example, but there's still plenty of content the series has to offer that can still be tapped into. The same goes for just about every series.

Now, what do I expect? I expect two new Mario stages: one based on the Galaxy games, and the other on the aesthetic style of New Super Mario Bros. and Super Mario 3D Land. I expect a Skyward Sword stage for the Zelda series, and possibly Skyward Sword character designs, but I also think the Pirate Ship will return to tie in with the Wind Waker re-release. There will be a Donkey Kong Country Returns stage. Star Fox will pull from its 64 success and revert to those character designs, and include a stage based on that game. F-Zero will probably just use another course from GX to craft a new stage. Wario will take ideas from WarioWare DIY and other recent releases, though I really hope they give Wario Land Shake It! some love. I definitely agree with Sonic's stage being based on Sonic Colors. Sonic Team seems to have adopted that game as their flagship title, and reference it non-stop. I think the stage will be Planet Wisp specifically. It appeared in Sonic Generations, and also represents the gist of Colors pretty well. It's a location familiar to Nintendo gamers because of Colors' Wii and DS exclusivity. The mix of forest and factory in the location also represents the environmental vs technological theme of the Sonic series pretty well. The other guest series, Metal Gear, I predict will take most of its cues from Metal Gear Solid 3, because of its presence on the 3DS and the series' recent focus on Naked Snake. I can see Naked replacing Solid, but using the same moveset and name, basically no differently from how the transition from OoT Link to TP Link was handled.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Well, in terms of new IPs.

-Captain Rainbow
-Fossil Fighters
-Glory of Heracles*
-Fatal Frame*
-Art Style
-Art Academy
-Steel Driver
-Disaster: Day of Crisis
-Soma Bringer
-Xenoblade Chronicles
-Pushmo
-FreakyForms: Your Creations Alive
-Dillon's Rolling Western
-Sakura Samurai: Art of The Sword
-HarmoKnight
-Fluidity
-Ketzal's Corridors
-The Wonderful 101
-Nintendo Land
-The Last Story
-Pandora's Tower

*These IPs originally belonged to other companies. Glory of Heracles being formally owned by Data East before the IP was bought by Nintendo and Paon, with the latest game simply called Glory of Heracles being released on the DS in 2008, and Nintendo holding a large portion of the Fatal Frame IP with the original company Tecmo Koei holding the rest.

D

Deleted member

Don't forget the Denpa Men. :troll:
(The only reason I know about it is TVtropes...)

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Don't forget the Denpa Men. :troll:
(The only reason I know about it is TVtropes...)
Actually, The Denpa Men is developed and published by Genius Sonority. In other words, Nintendo technically does not hold any rights to it. While it's true that Genius Sonority is a second-party company for Nintendo, it's not dependent on Nintendo for publishing rights.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Off the top of my head these are the most significant releases in each series already in Super Smash Bros.

Mario: Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2; New Super Mario Bros. Wii, New Super Mario Bros. 2, New Super Mario Bros. U; Super Mario Land; Super Mario Wii U*; Paper Mario: Sticker Star; Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story; Mario and Luigi: Dream Team*;

Mario Athletic: Mario Kart Wii, Mario Sports Mix;Mario Party 9, Mario Kart 7, Mario Tennis Open; Mario Party 3DS*; Mario Golf: World Tour*; Mario Kart Wii U*;

Luigi: Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon;

Wario: Wario Land Shake-It; WarioWare: D.I.Y; Game and Wario;

Yoshi: Yoshi Yarn*; Yoshi's Island 3DS*;

Donkey Kong: Donkey Kong Country Returns;

Legend of Zelda: The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks; The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword; The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3DS; The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past II*; The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD*;

Metroid: Metroid Prime Trilogy; Metroid: Other M; unannounced Metroid title**;

Kid Icarus: Kid Icarus: Uprising;

Ice Climbers: None

Gyromite: None

Kirby: Kirby's Epic Yarn; Kirby's Mass Attack; Kirby's Return to Dreamland;

Pikmin: Pikmin 3*;

Star Fox: Star Fox 64 3D;

F-Zero: None

Pokémon: Pokémon Platinum; Pokémon Black/White; Pokémon HeartGold/SoulSilver; Pokémon Black/White II; Pokémon X/Y*; Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time/Darkness; Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity; Pokémon Rumble Blast; Pokémon Rumble U;

Fire Emblem: Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon; Fire Emblem: Heroes of Light and Shadow***; Fire Emblem: Awakening;

Earthbound: None. Though the Wii U is FINALLY getting a VC release!

Game and Watch: None

Animal Crossing: Animal Crossing: City Folk; Animal Crossing: New Leaf;

*titles scheduled to be released by next year
**information via leak
***Japanese exclusive title

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
To add onto what Star said.

Metroid Prime 3

The Legend of Zelda: Phamtom Hourglass

Also. For 3rd parties.

Sonic Unleashed
Sonic and the Black Knight
Sonic Colors
Sonic Generations

Metal Gear Solid Five: Peacewalker
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater 3D
Metal Gear Rising Revengeance

Zuby

Smash Journeyman
I really don't think you're going to have to worry about the Metal Gear series. Maybe not even Sonic, either, given some of the comments from Sakurai about Third Party characters.

I'm expecting a lot of secondary content from Kid Icarus Uprising (eg. trophies, stickers or their equivalents.)

If you look at Melee and Brawl every series got a 'new' stage to replace their previous one both times, so I think we can expect the same again, with a handful of Brawl stages returning under the 'classic' moniker.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I think that the best approach for Smash 4 to take would be to show love for all generations of Nintendo games, not just "updating" everything to match whatever the latest game is in each series. I'm not saying we shouldn't have Mario Galaxy or Skyward Sword stages; I'd love those. However, I also would love to see new stages based on Super Mario 64 and, say, A Link to the Past.

I feel like Smash (or at least Brawl) has this tendency to focus on only the very recent and the retro. The Donkey Kong stages introduced were based on DK's most recent mainstream game, Jungle Beat, and the iconic original arcade game. Mario stages have shown a trend toward being either "retro" stages such as Mario Bros. or Mushroom(y) Kingdom, or based on Mario's most recent hits at the time (Delfino Plaza). Pertaining to Smash 4, this becomes a problem with series that haven't had a game since Brawl (and many haven't), or with series that haven't had a game since before Brawl (like Ice Climber). Nintendo has slowed down its growth since Brawl's release, and we haven't seen the sort of booming activity of the development of classic and new IPs that pervaded the period between Melee and Brawl.
Hit the nail on the head, that's exactly the problem I had with Brawl, though at the time I was glad that they remembered the only Yoshi game wasn't Yoshi's Story. There have been new IPs though like the Operation Rainfall games (Last Story, Pandora's Tower and Xenoblade), along with a lot of franchises brought back from the dead like Punch Out and Sin & Punishment and that Excite Bike game on WiiWare that no one bought.

SureNsync

Smash Journeyman
I can't see how they could make Zelda work in her Skyward Sword appearance move set wise because she wouldn't seem like a fighter even with magic and if Link and Zelda appear in their Skyward Sword appearances then it would make sense to replace Ganondorf with Ghirahim but I still hope that Link and Zelda appears in Smash Bros Wii U in their Skyward Sword appearances since Skyward Sword has great stage potential and would have colorful views depending on where the stage take place.

To me. The Zelda Will U trailer didn't even feel like Zelda and it felt rushed because Skyward Sword is still to recent.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
To me. The Zelda Will U trailer didn't even feel like Zelda and it felt rushed because Skyward Sword is still to recent.

When was there a Zelda Wii U trailer? All I remember is the Tech Demo and the only thing related to Zelda and the Wii U we currently have is Wind Waker HD which is meant to keep us busy until they have something to show us for Zelda U like Ocarina of Time 3D did for A Link to the Past 2.

As for the skyward Sword design's. They will work just fine. I'm very sure of it.

SureNsync

Smash Journeyman
When was there a Zelda Wii U trailer? All I remember is the Tech Demo and the only thing related to Zelda and the Wii U we currently have is Wind Waker HD which is meant to keep us busy until they have something to show us for Zelda U like Ocarina of Time 3D did for A Link to the Past 2.

As for the skyward Sword design's. They will work just fine. I'm very sure of it.
Here.

(Search) Zelda Wii U Full Demo - E3 on YouTube and you should find it and make sure to copy and past (Zelda Wii U Full Demo - E3) so it will lead you to the right video.

It should have 410, 255 views.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
(Search) Zelda Wii U Full Demo - E3 on YouTube and you should find it and make sure to copy and past (Zelda Wii U Full Demo - E3) so it will lead you to the right video.
Yes, that's only a Tech Demo, not an actual working title. The real Zelda Wii U is probably still in its Alpha stages or something. That's why they decided to remake the Wind Waker in order to keep people busy until their ready to show actual footage of Zelda Wii U.

SureNsync

Smash Journeyman
Yes, that's only a Tech Demo, not an actual working title. The real Zelda Wii U is probably still in its Alpha stages or something. That's why they decided to remake the Wind Waker in order to keep people busy until their ready to show actual footage of Zelda Wii U.
Oh, sorry about that. I just noticed you said you already saw the Tech Demo.. well.. at least since it's not going to be an official title, we'll have a chance on seeing Link and Zelda's Skyward Sword appearances in Smash Bros Will U.

Man...why couldn't Nintendo just remake Majora's Mask for the Wii U over Wind Waker.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Man...why couldn't Nintendo just remake Majora's Mask for the Wii U over Wind Waker.
Because Wind Waker's art style looked better in HD graphics apparently.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Well if they made alt costumes for chars then each costume for a char could resemble there games and not just the most recent...
Delfino plaza & Hyrule temple are really cool and populat stages most old ones are.

Melee did feel more complete than brawl though.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

I'd imagine because 1. People can already play Majora's Mask on the Wii U through the virtual console in Wii mode but you can't play Gamecube Games on the Wii U, so Wind Waker makes more sense to release on that system.

And 2. Nintendo said they would consider doing Majora's Mask for the 3DS as soon as Zelda 3DS is done since they don't want to make multiple Zelda remakes back to back on the same system (I repeat, on the same system). People were pushing for Majora's Mask on the 3DS not on the Wii U. Nintendo got the message that people wanted it on the 3DS so it's likely happening for the 3DS.

And plus (though this is just my own personal opinion) Wind Waker was never given a second chance unlike Majora's Mask which got multiple rereleases on the Gamecube and the Wii Virtual console. So it's nice that Nintendo wants to bring that game back into the spotlight for once.

Oh and what Swampasaur said. Because the game really appealed to the developers when they brought it over to the Wii U and its HD graphics.

Just be patient MM will likely receive a remake soon on the 3DS once A Link to the Past 2 is done and dusted. Which will be soon.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I'd imagine because 1. People can already play Majora's Mask on the Wii U through the virtual console in Wii mode but you can't play Gamecube Games on the Wii U, so Wind Waker makes more sense to release on that system.

And 2. Nintendo said they would do Majora's Mask for the 3DS as soon as Zelda 3DS is out since they don't want to make multiple Zelda remakes back to back on the same system (I repeat, on the same system). People were pushing for Majora's Mask on the 3DS not on the Wii U. Nintendo got the message that people wanted it on the 3DS so it's likely happening for the 3DS.

And plus (though this is just my own personal opinion) Wind Waker was never given a second chance unlike Majora's Mask which got multiple rereleases on the Gamecube and the Wii Virtual console. So it's nice that Nintendo wants to bring that game back into the spotlight for once.

Oh and what Swampasaur said. Because the game really appealed to the developers when they brought it over to the Wii U and its HD graphics.

Just be patient MM will likely receive a remake soon on the 3DS once A Link to the Past 2 is done and dusted. Which will be soon.
Nintendo said they will do a remake of MM? you serious? Owww man im sooo getting that.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Metroid: Other M could be represented through a stage, or even better, have the Metroid Queen as a boss, that'd be awesome.

Just keep it away from Ridley.

SureNsync

Smash Journeyman
Because Wind Waker's art style looked better in HD graphics apparently.
If only it was possible for Nintendo to remake both titles for the Wii U.

And 2. Nintendo said they would do Majora's Mask for the 3DS as soon as Zelda 3DS is out since they don't want to make multiple Zelda remakes back to back on the same system (I repeat, on the same system). People were pushing for Majora's Mask on the 3DS not on the Wii U. Nintendo got the message that people wanted it on the 3DS so it's likely happening for the 3DS.

I understand and alright.
Because Wind Waker is 1000x better than Majora's Mask.

U MAD? :troll:

I'm not mad. I'm wrong for doing this but I just judged the game.

I'm just kidding, Majora's Mask is a pretty good game.
Pretty much.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Nintendo said they would do Majora's Mask for the 3DS as soon as Zelda 3DS is out
That's not exactly what they said. They said that they would only ever CONSIDER making a remake (*coughremasteredportcough*) of Majora's Mask after releasing a brand new Zelda on the 3DS.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Nintendo said they will do a remake of MM? you serious? Owww man im sooo getting that.
That's not exactly what they said. They said that they would only ever CONSIDER making a remake (*coughremasteredportcough*) of Majora's Mask after releasing a brand new Zelda on the 3DS.
Eh it's been a while since they last talked about it. I might have gotten my info a little off. So I guess you should take Bassoonist's word for it. Now that I think about it. I think they did say they would only consider it. My bad. ^^;

Edited my post with the considering part in it.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Am I the only one that feels more Metal Gear Solid 3 stuff will show up due to the 3DS remake?

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I wonder if they'll do anything Pikmin 3 related for it. It's unlikely, considering how that game is still in devolopment as well, but who knows? Pikmin 3 will definetely be released before SSB4.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I think Pikmin 3 will be Like Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn and get a few trophies. I don't think they'll have added Rock and Flying Pikmin to Olimar's moveset.

Top Bottom