• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What exactly causes so much lag?

David Wonn

Smash Ace
Sonic is the answer to lag

If my first match has any lag at all, and I happened to have picked Sonic, I side taunt, "You're too slow!" and disconnect.

Flame Hyenard

Smash Lord
One of my friends and I were battling online on FC Online, but it was laggy as hell. Then, he told me to "Get" Off" "Utube" via the nicknames at the character select screen. At first, I didn't understand, but I looked at my laptop, and I closed the internet page.

The nxt match had no lag. Hell yeah !

Sephy95

Smash Lord
I think the use of internet is the main cause. My sis was using her laptop and me brawling at the same time. It was lagging constantly for me. She logs off and the lag stops. I was like "Oh hellz YEAH!"

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
One of my friends and I were battling online on FC Online, but it was laggy as hell. Then, he told me to "Get" Off" "Utube" via the nicknames at the character select screen. At first, I didn't understand, but I looked at my laptop, and I closed the internet page.

The nxt match had no lag. Hell yeah !
You have a smart friend. =V

I think the use of internet is the main cause. My sis was using her laptop and me brawling at the same time. It was lagging constantly for me. She logs off and the lag stops. I was like "Oh hellz YEAH!"
._. I thought that was obvious.

My internet is meh, so sharing bandwidth sucks. >.<

Sephy95

Smash Lord
You have a smart friend. =V

._. I thought that was obvious.

My internet is meh, so sharing bandwidth sucks. >.<
Yea I realize that its obvious lol but other things contribute to it too. Like a phone connection, your friends connection, and the online mode itself. Also bad weather. Then again those are also probably pretty obvious too huh?

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
Just in case it hasn't been said.

The Wii has an auto 6 frame lag put into their games for online. So no matter how close you are, how good your connection is, etc, you will have at least 1/10 of a second of lag for any Wii game used online.

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
Just in case it hasn't been said.

The Wii has an auto 6 frame lag put into their games for online. So no matter how close you are, how good your connection is, etc, you will have at least 1/10 of a second of lag for any Wii game used online.
Nope, I don't think I've ever seen it mentioned. That's a pretty neat thing to know. :)

Yea I realize that its obvious lol but other things contribute to it too. Like a phone connection, your friends connection, and the online mode itself. Also bad weather. Then again those are also probably pretty obvious too huh?
I never understood the bad weather clause. Ok, maybe I can understand the lightning but rain and snow? :confused:

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
Yeah thats why I refuse to play Wii games online since for some reason Nintendo thought it would be smart to give their online an auto 6 frames of lag while every other system has no auto lag.

satowolf

Oppa Gundam Style
Ahh Nintendo....10 steps ahead....but always 20 steps behind.

SupaSairentoZ7℠

Smash Hero
I have awsome connection. When playing Basic Brawl if someone is causing lag so bad that the count down before GO takes 2 minutes or a match taking 10 minutes and my button inputs are not registering despite how many times I press it I quit. Sorry to those if I ran into you.

David Wonn

Smash Ace
Who puts up with lag anyway?

I have awsome connection. When playing Basic Brawl if someone is causing lag so bad that the count down before GO takes 2 minutes or a match taking 10 minutes and my button inputs are not registering despite how many times I press it I quit. Sorry to those if I ran into you.
I am the same way; I simply do not tolerate lag. I can only hope I happened to pick Sonic so I can tell them what I think before I leave, as indicated in my previous post in this thread.

satowolf

Oppa Gundam Style
If the lag is unplayable...yeah I don't think anyone can tolerate it. I just dropout or disconnect everyone.

SupaSairentoZ7℠

Smash Hero
It actually is getting annoying now. Especially wen I wanna eff someone up.....
Exactly. I refusing to have buttons not registrating because of lag when I want to KO someone. Or taking hits when I know I press the shield button but the game didn't register it. These days if the lag is bad it is a instant quit.

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
How I press buttons online and offline are different. I usually mash a button if I want to perform a move. Depending on the lag, I usually mash my C-stick if I want a smash or aerial to come out right after another attack. I mash the A button to if I just auto/land canceled a aerial move so I can do a jab or tilt as soon as I can. Not sure about you guys thought I'd think most would to so that they can buffer moves the best they can. Unless they have reaaaally good consistent timing.

SupaSairentoZ7℠

Smash Hero
I do what Mike does, even offline. It's a habit of mine that sees to make the lag worse sometimes xD
Nobody should have to mash buttons for the game to register what you want to do. That is just more work and stress on the controller. Heck those real laggy 2 minute matches last 10 up to 20 minute and I could get probably 10 matches in a good connection game compared to still being in a laggy one.

satowolf

Oppa Gundam Style
The connection gets so bad that you can't even pause->LRAStart. Sometimes I have to restart my wii -__-

global-wolf

Smash Champion
I've never had a sucky connection that I couldn't mash to disconnect. :O

I don't really mash. I just press the input I want several times until it comes out.

Top Bottom