• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What does Mega Man do to beat Ledge Villager?

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
(Side note: I want to coin the term VilLEDGEr for this strategy)

Recently, there's been a bit of an upset with Villager's Timber Counter and Explosive Balloon Trip camping the ledge. What tools do you think Mega Man has to deal with it?

Super Smash Fanatic

Smash Cadet
NNID
jacg31
3DS FC
0705-3237-7336
Have you considered trying to go for a fair and then jumping the sprout with beat (the custom i use) ? It's worked for the few times I've been in that same scenario.

cot(θ)

Smash Journeyman
Hard Knuckle is excellent for spiking Villager. Unlike most characters, Mega Man can actually spike Villager without being in danger from the Exploding Balloons.

mega4000

Smash Journeyman
but dude, you beat him in the spam match, specially using skull barrier who reflects his dash attack, his fair, his side smash and lot more. you don't have to go near, specially with pellets and if he pockets your metal blade, you can still use it. Also, if he jumps over you, you have danger wrap and air shooter. You can play with tornado hold too in order to get safe damge but only if you know what you are doing. Tripping seed won't be used as a tree so your crash bomb is usless, specially when he will not get out of his confort zone.

Jehtt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TurboJett
Skull Barrier is always a good choice in this MU. I believe the Crash Bomb is better than the Danger Wrap here, because of how... horizontal this MU is.

Mega Man has good options off stage against Villager. His Dair hits through the Balloons, and his Bair is a great stage spiking tool. Z-Dropped Metal Blades are another thing I find very handy.

The important thing is to not get too aggressive in your attempts to approach the villager. Mega Man is good at wracking up damage from a distance using Lemons, Metal Blades, and Crash Bomb. The idea is to force the Villager to approach and punish with something.

Another interesting tidbit is that if Villager's balloons pop, he'll go shooting up towards the edge. I find that many Villager's I play against miss the ledge when this happens because of their positioning, which leaves them open to an Up-Tilt.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
I've never had Dair hit through balloons, not once.

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227

Should of gone smoother but oh well lol
NinjaLink posted this on the Dr. Light Capsule thread, i think it gives us a good idea on how to deal with it.

I don't know how broken this setup is for other characters, but it seems that Megaman has what it takes to deal with it.

I think that what @Jehtt says is right, the idea is not to be reckless while approaching Villager's annoying ***.
Doesn't seem easy, but it sure seems possible.

Last edited:

cot(θ)

Smash Journeyman
NinjaLink posted this on the Dr. Light Capsule thread, i think it gives us a good idea on how to deal with it.

I don't know how broken this setup is for other characters, but it seems that Megaman has what it takes to deal with it.

I think that what @Jehtt says is right, the idea is not to be reckless while approaching Villager's annoying ***.
Doesn't seem easy, but it sure seems possible.
That's not the kind of Villager this thread is about. That was a perfectly normal Villager who happened to be running Extreme Balloon Trip and Timber Counter. He wasn't camping the ledge excessively, or spamming either of those moves.

Good matches, though.

Last edited:

Grass

Smash Lord
(Side note: I want to coin the term VilLEDGEr for this strategy)

Recently, there's been a bit of an upset with Villager's Timber Counter and Explosive Balloon Trip camping the ledge. What tools do you think Mega Man has to deal with it?
Leaf shield, don't let them on the edge. that simple get off and Bair him.

Last edited:

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
That's not the kind of Villager this thread is about. That was a perfectly normal Villager who happened to be running Extreme Balloon Trip and Timber Counter. He wasn't camping the ledge excessively, or spamming either of those moves.

Good matches, though.
Thing is, in the video thread, before posting those videos, NinjaLink said "Anybody needs help vs villager? I have a couple vids against the alleged 'broken' setup lol" so i thought it was the same thing.

Granted, he wasn't camping the ledge but as soon as he got a stock lead, he started doing that, going off stage spamming up b etc. He only stopped doing that once NL took some good % and he decided to try and finish him off, but the point still stands. Even if he wanted to camp to time out, NL wouldn't just let him and Megaman has better tools to deal with it rather than say, Ganon or Ike.

Another thing, i hit the Hard Knucle trough the standart baloon trip before, but does it works on this custom?
I don't think i saw it on the video, but i need to watch it again.

cot(θ)

Smash Journeyman
Thing is, in the video thread, before posting those videos, NinjaLink said "Anybody needs help vs villager? I have a couple vids against the alleged 'broken' setup lol" so i thought it was the same thing.

Granted, he wasn't camping the ledge but as soon as he got a stock lead, he started doing that, going off stage spamming up b etc. He only stopped doing that once NL took some good % and he decided to try and finish him off, but the point still stands. Even if he wanted to camp to time out, NL wouldn't just let him and Megaman has better tools to deal with it rather than say, Ganon or Ike.

Another thing, i hit the Hard Knucle trough the standart baloon trip before, but does it works on this custom?
I don't think i saw it on the video, but i need to watch it again.
Fair enough. It is the "broken" setup, just not using the "broken" strategy.

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
Fair enough. It is the "broken" setup, just not using the "broken" strategy.
Just saw the ADHD vs Tweek match, and ADHD said on a post that he didn't even used the strategy to its fullest, like he took the lead but blow it sometimes.

Damn that thing looks scary... and annoying

Egregore

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NoGoodEndings
3DS FC
1977-1234-9456
I fought ADHD's Villager at KTAR when he implemented this strategy. I was running Plant Barrier the whole tourney, but in retrospect Skull Barrier would've been the optimal choice.

It was nearly impossible to approach or establish a clear lead, so I hope Skull Barrier will help in this regard.

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
I fought ADHD's Villager at KTAR when he implemented this strategy. I was running Plant Barrier the whole tourney, but in retrospect Skull Barrier would've been the optimal choice.

It was nearly impossible to approach or establish a clear lead, so I hope Skull Barrier will help in this regard.
Can you elaborate on how bad was it?

Or are there any videos of your matches?

Egregore

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NoGoodEndings
3DS FC
1977-1234-9456
Can you elaborate on how bad was it?

Or are there any videos of your matches?
Unfortunately, my match wasn't on stream, so there's no videos.

First match we agreed to Smashville. Just like you saw in the Tweek match, he went straight for the ledge and began his shenanigans.

I'm really not familiar with a lot of customs, so the fact that the balloons actually have a random ascending trajectory was something extremely difficult to fight on the fly. Coupled with the fact that the balloons actually hid in the stage itself before popping up, it cut off a lot of options.

Trip sapling was placed right in front of the ledge, so you had no space to stand.

Pretty much all of my projectiles were pocketed.

The only real advances I had were when I'd go offstage to try and Plant Barrier-stool, or throw out an aerial, but even when my stuff would connect he could just mash B immediately to shoot upwards.

I wasn't rushing anything either, by the way. I played very patiently and thought about my options. The only thing I didn't try was Skull Barrier, which at the very least would've forced him off the ledge / stalemate.

Oh, and he banned Castle Siege and Delphino. Probably because you can clearly see the balloons on Delphino, and the transitions are not in that strategy's favor on Castle Siege.

Last edited:

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
MB/dair goes through EBT balloons. Shield slingshots/pushy lloid.

If you really want, drop down and BAir him (not the balloons), but risk villager exploding his balloons on command to challenge you coming down. If you bait it, he doesn't snap to the ledge until his descent, so utilt/whatever.

Villager loses to Mega Man for a multitude of reasons. This strategy should not work vs mega.

mega4000

Smash Journeyman
MB/dair goes through EBT balloons. Shield slingshots/pushy lloid.

If you really want, drop down and BAir him (not the balloons), but risk villager exploding his balloons on command to challenge you coming down. If you bait it, he doesn't snap to the ledge until his descent, so utilt/whatever.

Villager loses to Mega Man for a multitude of reasons. This strategy should not work vs mega.
skull barrier negates even villagers dash attack.

Drippy

Smash Ace
skull barrier negates even villagers dash attack.
Does it also negate Villager's other moves like fair / bair / side smash / tree too? I was playing around as Villager dittos with my friend and was surprised you could catch all of that although I'd imagine it'd be a rare scenario where Skull Barrier would reflect most of that though...

mega4000

Smash Journeyman
Does it also negate Villager's other moves like fair / bair / side smash / tree too? I was playing around as Villager dittos with my friend and was surprised you could catch all of that although I'd imagine it'd be a rare scenario where Skull Barrier would reflect most of that though...
yes, his fair gets reflected too. His side smash and his tree gets reflected too, also if he pockets your metal blade, you can still use it so is pretty easy match if you know what you are doing. Every single thing he throws, his dash attack, sling shoot, bowling ball, rocket gets reflected. If he cut his tree it gets reflected too.

Last edited:

Drippy

Smash Ace
yes, his fair gets reflected too. His side smash and his tree gets reflected too, also if he pockets your metal blade, you can still use it so is pretty easy match if you know what you are doing. Every single thing he throws, his dash attack, sling shoot, bowling ball, rocket gets reflected. If he cut his tree it gets reflected too.
Yeah suddenly the match up doesn't seem so bad with Skull Barrier. How does Megaman fair against vanilla Villager without his Skull Barrier in the case of it's a non-custom tournament? Or has this match-up already been talked about?

mega4000

Smash Journeyman
Yeah suddenly the match up doesn't seem so bad with Skull Barrier. How does Megaman fair against vanilla Villager without his Skull Barrier in the case of it's a non-custom tournament? Or has this match-up already been talked about?
Humm.. it's still on megaman's favor I think, but now tripping seed got added you shoudn't even consider in droping skull barrier. Hell neutral megaman with skull barrier is way better than LS because you become immune to your own crash bomb explosion and metal blade.

Last edited:

Drippy

Smash Ace
Humm.. it's still on megaman's favor I think, but now tripping seed got added you shoudn't even consider in droping skull barrier. Hell neutral megaman with skull barrier is way better than LS because you become immune to your own crash bomb explosion and metal blade.
Yeah overall I don't really find myself using Leaf Shield that much unless it's for a very specific situation and I'm not sure if it should even be used more, I just don't find it that much useful.

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
I think in a customs-off setting, Mega Man has trouble with Villager, but not as much as other projectile-based fighters. You don't have the ability to reflect his attacks, but at the same time, you don't really have a projectile that he can truly take advantage of. Just avoid using FSmash if at all possible, and everything he could take from you clashes with lemons, so you're safe. He's got a slight advantage in that he can effectively remove our ability to Fsmash safely, but doesn't gain much else. Also, metal blade goes through his tree, so you can blow up his Lloid Rocket with a lemon and hit him through his next one if he's trying to camp behind a tree.

Just watch out for him pocketing a spike. That hurts.

Drippy

Smash Ace
I think in a customs-off setting, Mega Man has trouble with Villager, but not as much as other projectile-based fighters. You don't have the ability to reflect his attacks, but at the same time, you don't really have a projectile that he can truly take advantage of. Just avoid using FSmash if at all possible, and everything he could take from you clashes with lemons, so you're safe. He's got a slight advantage in that he can effectively remove our ability to Fsmash safely, but doesn't gain much else. Also, metal blade goes through his tree, so you can blow up his Lloid Rocket with a lemon and hit him through his next one if he's trying to camp behind a tree.

Just watch out for him pocketing a spike. That hurts.
I didn't know that about the Metal Blade nor lemons, I never really have gotten the chance to play the match-up yet as Mega Man. I'll keep these in mind though for whenever I do play in this match-up, thanks for the input. :) (And oh man, if a Villager ever spikes me with my own D-Air...)

iiGGYxD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
iiGGYxD
3DS FC
0447-7543-7353
Standard mm + skull barrier is all that is needed to take down a custom villager. Get the % lead and let the villager go nuts on the ledge while you time them out for a change. LOL if they resort to approaching you.

mega4000

Smash Journeyman
Standard mm + skull barrier is all that is needed to take down a custom villager. Get the % lead and let the villager go nuts on the ledge while you time them out for a change. LOL if they resort to approaching you.
hmmm woudn't be more optimal to have 1132? i mean, metal blade, crash bomb and skull barrier beat the crap out of villager, but some times, a good villager can edge guard with his fsmash when you are triying to come back. Beat can negate that. It's still an easy matchup even with tornado hold, but I think maybe beat can do this way more easy.

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
Villager main reporting in!!!

If you have the shadow blade. You can throw the SB in a certain angle and range where it can pop one balloon and then it can pop the other since it can return towards you!

ForteX

Smash Journeyman
Assuming this thread is all about Villager camping the ledge trying to bait an approach from a MegaMan still on the stage... just shoot Crash Bombs. They explode on contact with the tree and you suffer no losses if Villager pockets it. Never shot a Crash Bomb at Timber Counter, but looking at the videos, it doesn't look like anything bad's gonna happen to you for shooting it from a long way away. Tree and Luma have crippling addictions to Crash Bombs.

Only possible downside I can see to this is that the explosion might become Villager's explosion? Not sure about the functions of the tree, but Crash Bomb never seems to care who's getting exploded on, it just wants to explode.

If you're stuck offstage working against this, I dunno. Come in as high as you can from what I've seen.

Top Bottom