• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What do you use the lab for?

Dinotard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Onehardtard
3DS FC
2766-8060-2134
I'm still very new on the road to mastering Ike. I play on sm4sh on my 3ds when I'm away from home.

I know it's one thing to practice fighting different players online but what should I be doing when I'm alone? I know some people say to use training mode but I'm not entirely sure what I should be practicing?

What are some of the things you practice when you are in the lab with Ike?

Takehiko

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FoldedMachi
I'm not an Ike player, but some thing that the lab can be used for is building knowledge of your moves (spacing, and ko percentages on opponents), practicing set-ups and recovering at certain percentages and edge guarding. These will help you get a lot more character confidence

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
For Ike specifically, I'd say probably get the spacing (in this case max range) of all of your moves down to where you don't have to think about it at all to hit from as far as possible.
Also practice things like approaching/retreating with full-hop Fair (where it AutoCancels), techniques like pivot grabs/tilts, and things like that.

Basically the lab is where you practice Tech Skill (the inputs you need to be able to perform when you see the opportunity), as opposed to friendlies/tournament matches where you learn/practice reading/baiting/etc opponents.
Your goal is to make it so that you never get in your own way by mis-inputting (or mis-spacing) something when playing, so your opponent has to actually defeat you by themselves.

Dinotard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Onehardtard
3DS FC
2766-8060-2134
For Ike specifically, I'd say probably get the spacing (in this case max range) of all of your moves down to where you don't have to think about it at all to hit from as far as possible.
Also practice things like approaching/retreating with full-hop Fair (where it AutoCancels), techniques like pivot grabs/tilts, and things like that.

Basically the lab is where you practice Tech Skill (the inputs you need to be able to perform when you see the opportunity), as opposed to friendlies/tournament matches where you learn/practice reading/baiting/etc opponents.
Your goal is to make it so that you never get in your own way by mis-inputting (or mis-spacing) something when playing, so your opponent has to actually defeat you by themselves.
Okay I see what you mean. There has been countless times where I've ended up whiffing attacks because they didn't quite reach my opponent. I'll start practicing that

EvilShadow777

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1177-8767-4539
Something interesting I did which helped me a lot with my Ike decision making was going into training and making stick figure drawings with a box outlining the hitbox. I also listed the % on each hit.

Though one thing practice wise training does is let you so as many throws as you want. Mess around with your throw combos and see what works. Keep in mind most combos will come from d throw at low %s and u throw at high % s.

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
OH YEAH
I almost forgot to mention, but you may want to do your training against a Lv1 CPU or against an unplugged controller. Training mode has some neat things (reset, item spawn on command, etc) however for some reason Nintendo decided to make Stale Move Negation (and the Freshness Bonus) not apply to Training, so combos that work don't work in training and some that do work there don't in real matches. Rage may not apply either, I forget.

So keep that in mind when practicing in training.

kyoskue

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kyoskue
3DS FC
4468-0977-7278
Use it to learn timing and positioning for landing aerial Quickdraw on platforms, B Reveresed Eruption/Quickdraw/Aether, possibly Combat Walking, execution drills.
Definitely practice bypassing and canceling out projectiles too.

Edit: Forgot to mention that practicing the timing for auto canceled fAir/bAir, on the Wii U version I practice using Big Battlefield for all of the various platform heights and distances.

Last edited:

Jotunn

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2337-5646-3684
Whenever I'm in the lab as Ike, I typically test out elements such as knockdown and K.O. potential based upon the percentages so as to build up an arsenal of reliable kill moves, set up tech chase options, pressure or generally read the match up.

I also practice ledge cancelling using Quickdraw (Side B) on top of the various angles in recovery with Aether's (Up B) shenanigans, especially important seeing how Counter (Down B) is the bane of both Ike's options.

In addition to this, there is also the fast fall double jump from the ledge to the stage for offense or defense, however I haven't gotten the hang of using N-Air as opposed to F-Air.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The only thing I don't like in particular is the lack of a record function or anything to accurately get the hang of fundamental frame data, but I digress.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
Can someone tell me more about the lab? So Smash mode, 1v1 against a Level 1 CPU or unplugged controller, and then just practice techs basically?

Use it to learn timing and positioning for landing aerial Quickdraw on platforms, B Reveresed Eruption/Quickdraw/Aether, possibly Combat Walking, execution drills.
Definitely practice bypassing and canceling out projectiles too.

Edit: Forgot to mention that practicing the timing for auto canceled fAir/bAir, on the Wii U version I practice using Big Battlefield for all of the various platform heights and distances.
What's the Reversed Eruption, Combat Walking, and what kind of execution drills?

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Can someone tell me more about the lab? So Smash mode, 1v1 against a Level 1 CPU or unplugged controller, and then just practice techs basically?

What's the Reversed Eruption, Combat Walking, and what kind of execution drills?
"The Lab" is a term that basically just means single-player training (think something along the lines of practice for a sport), whether that be Smash mode like you said (my personal favorite, and time mode lets you go "I'm going to practice X for 2 minutes then Y for 5" and the like), Training mode, most anywhere you can focus on your own movement works (no smash tour, for example).

Reverse Eruption: When you B-reverse Ike's NSpecial; while moving in the air (on the ground too, but air is easier) you can press B to start the Eruption and then immediately after flick the opposite direction and you'll turn around while also shifting your momentum quite a bit.
Combat Walking: I believe this is using Jab1-Jab2 repeatedly, as it moves you forward? Not positive

Execution drills are just making sure you can do different things (Reverse Eruption, DI, etc) by going in and 'drilling' (Think sports practice again) the thing you're focusing on. Just run through it repeatedly until it's easy enough to do unconsciously, or whatever level of mastery your goal is.

kyoskue

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kyoskue
3DS FC
4468-0977-7278
Combat Walking: I believe this is using Jab1-Jab2 repeatedly, as it moves you forward? Not positive
This.

To perform Combat Walking do the following:
-Tap A to do Jab 1 while not in physical contact with an enemy or item.
-Tap and HOLD A to use Jab 2, which will then cause Jab 1 to happen again, release A.
-Repeat step 2 as desired.

Basically Ike will punch, kick, and then go back to his punch again.
Because he takes a step forward during the kick you can use it to move forward, and both jabs can cancel weak projectiles. Besides that, if you happen to connect with an enemy then simply holding A will complete your jab combo.
A few other characters can also Combat Walk, Shulk and Pac-Man in particular are very good at it because their jab combos makes him take large steps and can be repeated very quickly.

Its not some kind of amazing game changing tech or anything, but it has its uses and gives you an extra tool.

JJpalmer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jjpalmer
3DS FC
2664-2947-4020
This.

To perform Combat Walking do the following:
-Tap A to do Jab 1 while not in physical contact with an enemy or item.
-Tap and HOLD A to use Jab 2, which will then cause Jab 1 to happen again, release A.
-Repeat step 2 as desired.

Basically Ike will punch, kick, and then go back to his punch again.
Because he takes a step forward during the kick you can use it to move forward, and both jabs can cancel weak projectiles. Besides that, if you happen to connect with an enemy then simply holding A will complete your jab combo.
A few other characters can also Combat Walk, Shulk and Pac-Man in particular are very good at it because their jab combos makes him take large steps and can be repeated very quickly.

Its not some kind of amazing game changing tech or anything, but it has its uses and gives you an extra tool.
it sounds handy now i need to try this in the lab lol

Top Bottom