• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What do you use for Up Air?

MadSpace

Smash Rookie
I've been using Falcon for quite a bit, and have developed a nice game and play style with him. One of my concerns though is that I feel like when I use up air, it comes out so slow compared to high level Falcons like Fatality. I feel like my opponents can air dodge because my up air comes out a few frames slower, probably because of my slower input, so I end up having to read air dodges at higher percents.

So here is my questions, after a Dash Attack or Down Throw, what do you guys use to perform up air? the C-stick or the A button? I've been able to perform faster up airs with the A button, but I can't really string them together, and sometimes the knee comes out instead. This whole thing may just be in my head, but i would still like an answer to my question please!

C-stick or A button?

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
My first question is : if all you want is ask a question, then why not do it in the question and answer thread.

My second question is : if you know the alternative why not try to use it ?

Finally an advice : change one of your shoulder buttons to jump, that way you can jump + Uair more easily.

Use the QA thread next time.

AdaptiveTrigger

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AdaptiveTrigger
3DS FC
4055-4954-5664
When I jump, I use the control stick with tap jump set to ON. To actually get the Up Air out, I use the C-Stick.

I don't normally use the control stick to jump...in fact Captain Falcon is the only character in which I jump using this method. I find that it really helps though.

Jrzfine

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jrzfinest
3DS FC
1762-3319-6557
I use the Pro Controller, so I set my Cstick to 'Attack' and use it to buffer Uair after using X to jump.

Keeseman

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Keeseman
3DS FC
2251-4754-4791
Depends. If I'm stringing two together to try for Stairway to Heaven, I'll go with the A button for a quicker connection. If I'm doing anything else, like single SHFF uair, I'd use the c-stick (so mostly the c-stick).

MadSpace

Smash Rookie
Depends. If I'm stringing two together to try for Stairway to Heaven, I'll go with the A button for a quicker connection. If I'm doing anything else, like single SHFF uair, I'd use the c-stick (so mostly the c-stick).
I see... sometimes I go into a jump cancelled up smash and completely miss the timing all together when i go for strings. I probably just need practice

D

Deleted member 269706

If you have tap jump on, use the A button like the Melee players do. Though if you have tap jump turned off (like I do), then I would recommend the C stick. Uair is a really powerful tool, get lots of practice in with it and just figure out which style suits you better. Of course, you can use A even if tap jump is off, each person can be different.

MadSpace

Smash Rookie
If you have tap jump on, use the A button like the Melee players do. Though if you have tap jump turned off (like I do), then I would recommend the C stick. Uair is a really powerful tool, get lots of practice in with it and just figure out which style suits you better. Of course, you can use A even if tap jump is off, each person can be different.
Yeah i regularly use up air, and use the c-stick, so I wouldn't really say I need practice utilizing it during fights, just practice getting it out faster, but then sometimes I short hop, so I've decided i'm going to practice claw grip, and yes I have tap jump off.

Thanks for the reply

Top Bottom