• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What do you think about Pauline?

y3nia659

Smash Ace

Hello Everybody! Well I made this thread about which character I want and support the most.

Do you think Pauline can make it to Brawl? Do you think she is deserving enough to become finally a playable character? Well I do, and I will try to prove my points to you all, I hope you like it and thank you for taking your time to read this.

First off she was Nintendo's first Damsel in Distress', and she was Mario's first love interest. I believe that this is enough to at least be mentioned in Brawl (a trophy). She's appeared in three games (one being a remake) and had two other cameo appearances. Her role was that of Damsel in Distress'. She was supplanted by Peach and many believed she would die off. Thankfully she is slowly growing out of the Darkness (Mario vs DK: March of the Minis ).

Mario vs DK: March of the Minis points out to me that Nintendo still has her in their mind. They could have easily used Peach, but they did not. Her looks in the game were rather improved, sure it seems like nothing much but the addition of Ridley and Samurai Goroh in Melee's intro was quite a deal.

Her trophy was not added in Melee, does that mean she is not deserving enough? No it does not, sure some trophies had hints within them (such as Pit and other characters with updated looks) but their sole reason was to be a trophy, to remind us of Nintendo's great successes and/ or their obscure creations. Also they did not add Diddy Kong's trophy, this does not mean he is unimportant. Hey accidents happen and people can forget things.
So all she does is scream for help and kiss you in the end; which many, if not most, people tend to think is not a major role but something insignifficant. If it was not significant then what would the plot be? The game would not even exist. I believe there are three major parts(roles) to games like those which are:
The Hero
The Villain
The Person in distress/subject

The role of the Person in distress is the most difficult role to understand. All they do is get captured and only get shown in the beginning and the end with little or no camera action in between. However they are the soul and the whole reason to the plot's existance, which seems rather odd to understand. It is sad to say that many people underestimate the role, which receives the most criticism and gets shunned down. I find this unfair, stories are not all about heroes. Villains and Victims (Person in distress') also contribute largely to the plot.

I tend to think Nintendo should show a little more respect their First Lady , and what better way than to add her in Brawl? She was born an all-star (IMO). It seems she was left to die but Nintendo remembers her by still making games to the series where DK and Mario began, which Pauline was part of as well.
If Nintendo brought the father of gaming (G&W) to melee, why can't they bring in the Mother of Nintendo Damsels'? They all (heroes, villains, damsels) show importance to their series, I believe and they should all get honored as well.

What do you think?

ClarkJables

Smash Lord
although pauline is a historical nintendo figure i don't think she would make a good brawl character. in every game she is in she is the damsel in distress, who waits for mario to save her. she would make a great trophy, or maybe even an alternate costume for peach, but not as her own character.

Nietendodude

Smash Ace
No way! She has no personality and only appeared in Donkey Kong and DK vs Mario 2. And Mario found a better woman (Peach) Pauline doesn't even have a fanbase. I mean peach has her own game that gave her a better perspective of her being. Pauline is juat a girl who got captured twice and did nothing else.

A trophy= yes

Alternate costume= no

Character= Hell NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Way, Way more deserving characters than her. I think The Happy Mask Salesman has a better chance of being a in just check the rate their chances thread and see his hopes of getting in.

y3nia659

Smash Ace
I think she would also make an excellent trophy but I can't see why not adding her own character, is it because she can't give enough for a moveset? I think Sakurai can do a moveset for about anyone and I think the Mario Mini toys would be a good tool in her moveset if she would appear in Brawl, or perhaps the tools she dropped in the DK games.

y3nia659

Smash Ace
What exactly do you mean by personality? She looks like a model and from what I look at it it looks like she has feelings for Mario, like her description says that instead of playing a romantic role she plays a platonic role. So is her personality that of a platonic lover?

Stryks

Smash Hero
Hhaha ok, so she comes back after 20 something years to be kidnapped again by DK, yeah she totalyl needs to be in brawl [/sarcasm]

Ryaneatworld

Smash Apprentice
Hhaha ok, so she comes back after 20 something years to be kidnapped again by DK, yeah she totalyl needs to be in brawl [/sarcasm]
LOL.

Yeah, I've never heard of this Pauline girl. Doesn't sound like she's popular enough and plus you can't just put every character from Nintendo's past in Brawl. Characters like Mario, Donkey Kong, Samus, Fox, etc. were in the last two games because they are some of the main characters in the biggest Nintendo series'. I don't think a footnote in the mario series should be included in the series, especially a lesser known one without a fanbase. At least Geno has loyal fans and if he was put in alot of people would be excited.

Tiamat

Smash Journeyman
Costume (and voice?) Change for Peach. With Daisy, that would make Peach at least 3 characters in one so far. Peachy!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Cranky should've killed the ***** off right away instead of capturing her... >_<; I don't think she's really all that deserving, but she'd make a good costume for Peach.

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
Well they based Mario's girlfriend "Daniella" in the Super Mario Brothers movie after Pauline, so she like... has to be in.

We all know that the Super Mario Brother's movie "is a blast" according to the Washington Post and soundtrack features Joe Satriani and Megadeth... so you know it has to be awesome, and everything possibly related has to be awesome.

y3nia659

Smash Ace
Pauline is not just any character. She is the first & original female character that was by Mario's/Dk's side when they first grew into popularity. Im glad Nintendo has not forgotten completely about her but I really believe they should show a little more love & respect for her, even if it's a tropy (im satisfied). However about Personalities, doesn't Mr. Game & Watch, and the Ice Climbers have no personality at all? I think personality is just a bonus (correct me if I am wrong) Im also very happy to hear that Sakurai pointed out that popularity does not matter.

I really really want her in as a character but if not, it is ok. However I strongly believe and request that there should be a trophy for her at the least.

Stryks

Smash Hero
Well ICS adn GaW are stars of their own game, not to mention theyre retros, yes pauline is retro but shes just the damsel in distress, and after 20 years shes back, and again captured by DK, seriously comparing with pauline both birdo and toadette dont seem as bad ideas...

y3nia659

Smash Ace
Damsels' in Distress are also Stars of the games they belong to, just take a look at Zelda.

Stryks

Smash Hero
Zelda is now rarely the damsel in distress, she know fights, in WW and TP, shes no longer: OMG SAVE ME!!1!... same with peach in super princess peach...

I agree on the trophy part but gotta say NO as a character lol sorry XD...

y3nia659

Smash Ace
It's ok, I just wanted to share my opinion. Thanks. :)

Im not giving up hope though, anything can happen *crosses fingers*

Top Bottom