• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What do you do in this situation?

genandnic

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1177-6683-5828
Your opponent has stopped approaching you and has decided to stand on one edge of the stage, sitting in their shield. You are forced to approach, but many of TL's approaches rely on projectiles which are easily shielded when the opponent is ready for them. What do you do?

I've tried grabbing, but it's slow and easy to dodge on reaction alone. I've tried forcing them to dodge early by jump cancel throwing a bomb into grab, but I still end up whiffing the grab somehow. So I've resorted to applying pressure with projectiles and hoping that I can poke them out of their shield using Zair, but otherwise the match just kinda falls into a stalemate with me feeling like I have no tools to keep the match moving along.

Aquamentii

Smash Apprentice
If it's someone like Marth camping you then you have nothing to worry about, shields don't last forever and once it gets low you can run in for some other kind of pressure and potentially break their shield. If they are like Rob or Fox and can reflect your projectiles and out-camp you then you get a bigger problem... Any moves with good or even decent shield pushback will potentially knock your opponents off the stage and provide pressure without them being able to punish... Up smash and Fsmash come to mind with that... If they are doing nothing at all besides sitting in shield then just find ways to safely pressure it and potentially break it...

ephOE

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Zamiel1i
3DS FC
4356-0508-8373
Learn to regrab bombs after JC throws or in the air. Grabbing with an aerial will beat Fox or ROB's reflectors if you space them correctly. If they don't drop sheild you can juggle bombs to continuously pressure them in shield.

A cute trick I saw Lv. 1 do is JC throw a bomb > aerial regrab > z drop above them. Most characters will have to keep shielding until you've passed over them (and you can still cover yourself with Nair, usually at worst you end up with a trade), otherwise bombs will confirm into more damage.

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
I will add that as a player using a character with a great array of ranged tools at your disposal, it's very hard to force TL into approaching and he shouldn't really have to unless you're losing. If they're sitting on the other side then I can only assume they're literally waiting for you to hit their shield with an unsafe move so they can punish. Just keep throwing stuff at them. They can't shield forever.

TL's game is stage control, and that requires patience. Be patient.

Dasmilitus

Smash Rookie
NNID
Dasmilitus
I don't post often but this is a very interesting question for me. Always remember the basics of Toon. Toon thrives when he applies shield pressure on his opponent. Just be sure to remember that every time your opponent's shield diminishes it puts you at a slight advantage each and every time. While holding a bomb and your appointed shield expecting the bomb try using arrows or boomerangs as a mixup. You can prolong the duration and what you hold the arrow so that your opponent preemptively shields and continues to hold shield and then you Beta roll or a spot Dodge or even a jump after they realize that they're holding their shield for too long to block your arrow so after you force that reaction you can then use the bomb which you have pulled out earlier to punish accordingly. You can also air dodge into a tether or rather a Z air and then cancel a bomb throw using JC. It requires a lot of care in terms of spacing and know when your opponent but it really helps a lot also be aware that you cannot user up B while you're holding a bomb as well to apply even further shield pressure or to beat out rolls and then followup with the bomb. You can break shiekds fairly easy by baiting and stalling your fsmash while they are in a corner by using your confirm to poke the shield.
EDIT: I am using speech to text on my iPhone so please ignore most of the weird words.

Last edited:

LotadAlittle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BillyWhizz
run up, jcbt bomb up, grab, up throw them into the bomb, sometimes you can follow this up with an up air. I find this quite useful when they start shielding/using reflectors.

Theis

Smash Cadet
NNID
pinpong000
if all hes doing is sitting at the edge blocking you could just poke at him with arrows and well spaced bombs (using the explosion instead of the bomb itself) and capitalize with a jump/roll read or if he commits to just staying in sheild grab or fsmash (to break his sheild). the important thing to remember is hes giving up stage control by being at the edge to block which puts you at an advantage because you have options to pressure him because he cant commit to anything else but OOS options.

Last edited:

Scootch

The coolest Yoshi of them all
NNID
Little_Dragon34
If they just sit in their shield just jump above them and try to poke them with your d-air.

Theis

Smash Cadet
NNID
pinpong000
If they just sit in their shield just jump above them and try to poke them with your d-air.
Dair is pretty bad to use on block, if they see a dair on sheild its more than likely you will get punished for it because of how laggy dair is when it lands

Top Bottom