• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What do I do against Meta Knight?

Kaishin

Smash Apprentice
I did a search for Meta Knight and it didn't pull up any MU discussion so I'm making a topic.

What can this char do against Meta Knight? Serynder said in the skype chat that Puff beats Meta Knight. As a Rosalina main, having my secondary be able to cover that would be really nice.

So what tips do you guys have for beating MK? Can Puff escape that dumb af 5x uair -> up b combo? Fighting a local MK would imply no, but maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Stickmanlolz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lolaldenlee
Switch FC
SW-1694-6309-5598
For the combo:use the invincibility frames of rest in order to be K.O'd on the ground instead?(better than being killed in your own domain)

Pound them when they try to b8 you.
have godlike spacing
Fair and dash attack are best tools
mixups with rollout(not completely recommended)
grab-release (to show them who's boss)
fast fall u-air has gr8 priority.
wall them far off stage because of their poor aerial mobility.

I have very little experience in this matchup most are guesses.

Kaishin

Smash Apprentice
For the combo:use the invincibility frames of rest in order to be K.O'd on the ground instead?(better than being killed in your own domain)

Pound them when they try to b8 you.
have godlike spacing
Fair and dash attack are best tools
mixups with rollout(not completely recommended)
grab-release (to show them who's boss)
fast fall u-air has gr8 priority.
wall them far off stage because of their poor aerial mobility.

I have very little experience in this matchup most are guesses.
MK is a bait and punish character. Pound is a sure-fire way to get dash attacked and subsequently combo'd.
Dash Attack could be a lot safer on shield than it normally is against an MK... hmm....
FF Nair? Is that a pretty common Puff tool? In any case, MK has disjoints.
If Puff can wall MK it requires incredible skill. Just like in brawl, MK is still in almost no trouble offstage.

Though, a part of me wonders if you can rest MK out of his up b. lololol

Last edited:

Stickmanlolz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lolaldenlee
Switch FC
SW-1694-6309-5598
MK is a bait and punish character. Pound is a sure-fire way to get dash attacked and subsequently combo'd.
Dash Attack could be a lot safer on shield than it normally is against an MK... hmm....
FF Nair? Is that a pretty common Puff tool? In any case, MK has disjoints.
If Puff can wall MK it requires incredible skill. Just like in brawl, MK is still in almost no trouble offstage.

Though, a part of me wonders if you can rest MK out of his up b. lololol
As long as MK does not have invincibility frames early on then you probably could. Nearly impossible to pull off but still possible(with the hardest read of your life)

btw yes FF Nair is a very common tool im talking about FF U-air(newer, slower, harder to pull off, less range, and with the added bonus of beating out our own Nair and many other characters' aerials in terms of priority)

SafCar

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0645-5834-8488
Jump + Air Dodge should help, make sure to DI towards MK so that he can't snipe us mid-UpB.

As for general tools, MK can't deal too well with lasting hitboxes, such as Nair/Fair/Pound.

drakeirving

Smash Journeyman
After a few minutes of testing I doubt there are any frames during his upB where you aren't in hitstun. You're locked even at 0% and is probably set knockback on first hit, so it isn't happening.

You're much better off punishing a missed upB anyways. Or a blocked dash attack.

Last edited:

Desu~

Smash Ace
NNID
Mr. G-E
Switch FC
2211-2137-8924
It's common knowledge, but don't do anything at all against MK's fsmash.
This thing is baiting at it's purest form.

drakeirving

Smash Journeyman
Dash Attack beats it due to trample! If you clank on the late hit instead he'll generally have quite a bit of frame advantage though.

Hoejja

Smash Apprentice
I feel like there is more opportunities to fair to rest against mk. His jumps, aerial game and his up B often put him in the right spot to die below 30%.

Mk has good stats and kills early but hey at least we dont have to engage first, which is a huge plus for puff

Top Bottom