• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What could have been done and might be done

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
I was watching this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ciImvi3KCk

And I was wondering which of the rejected features in the past games might be implemented in the next one.
What do you think?

We might also talk about the rejected features in other Nintendo past games that might be implemented in Super Smash Bros. 4, if you know anyone.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I heavily doubt that any feature which was "rejected" in a past game will ever be added.

Unless you're talking about content which was planned but could not be added due to say, time constraints or technical limitations.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Eyup! That or they seeming too stupid/strange/crazy/weird to work at the time.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
A lot of interesting stuff in there... I think the one that is most noteworthy is the "battle damage" feature they seemed to have been considering. I wonder what the constraints were- I'm guessing they realized they couldn't apply the feature to a lot of the roster and it would look strange to apply it to just a few characters. War-damaged armor = fine, but bruised Jigglypuff would not really be okay.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I was watching this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ciImvi3KCk

And I was wondering which of the rejected features in the past games might be implemented in the next one.
What do you think?

We might also talk about the rejected features in other Nintendo past games that might be implemented in Super Smash Bros. 4, if you know anyone.
Some of those characters.... ouch. Seeing that video hurt me.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Every time I think that Banjo could have been playable, a part of me cries inside. MY EMOTIONS!!!

I can live with all the other considered characters, especially since almost all of the best characters eventually ended up playable, and it appears as if Dixie Kong will end up being playable this time around (and if not, next time around).

Also, I think Plusle and Minun is an underrated (tag) team character idea, and would be so much better than that awful Dixie/Diddy team idea.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
A lot of interesting stuff in there... I think the one that is most noteworthy is the "battle damage" feature they seemed to have been considering. I wonder what the constraints were- I'm guessing they realized they couldn't apply the feature to a lot of the roster and it would look strange to apply it to just a few characters. War-damaged armor = fine, but bruised Jigglypuff would not really be okay.
Unless it's made in an acceptable toony way. You know, like the bruised mountain in Super Mario World.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I heavily doubt that any feature which was "rejected" in a past game will ever be added.

Unless you're talking about content which was planned but could not be added due to say, time constraints or technical limitations.
One of the reasons I find it so odd people expect the Diddy/Dixie tag team to be in Smash 4, honestly. I hardly even expect Dixie for similar reasons, but I'd love for her to be a 4th addition. How many times can I say that?

@John - I try not to think about how B&K should have been in Melee. It just makes me cry everywhere.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@John - I try not to think about how B&K should have been in Melee. It just makes me cry everywhere.
I think when (not if) Microsoft gets ride of Rare, Nintendo would snatch that IP as quickly as it could. It's just a matter of time until Microsoft gets ride of Rare, albeit it's gonna be a long time IMO. I don't see any way in which Rare is making Microsoft even a reasonable profit by them being owned by Microsoft.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I think when (not if) Microsoft gets ride of Rare, Nintendo would snatch that IP as quickly as it could. It's just a matter of time until Microsoft gets ride of Rare, albeit it's gonna be a long time IMO. I don't see any way in which Rare is making Microsoft even a reasonable profit by them being owned by Microsoft.
Let's just hope one day those IPs return to where they belong. Until then I'll be making myself a bird and a pair of yellow shorts for the revolution.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Every time I think that Banjo could have been playable, a part of me cries inside. MY EMOTIONS!!!

I can live with all the other considered characters, especially since almost all of the best characters eventually ended up playable, and it appears as if Dixie Kong will end up being playable this time around (and if not, next time around).

Also, I think Plusle and Minun is an underrated (tag) team character idea, and would be so much better than that awful Dixie/Diddy team idea.
You do know that Rare aint the same company they were right? The co-founder/main best people left shortly after MS bought them or just before or something like that...

So even if Ninty bought em back it wouldnt be the same anyway..its really said but i think Rare did everything they could have done ''All good things come to a end''

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
You do know that Rare aint the same company they were right? The co-founder/main best people left shortly after MS bought them or just before or something like that...

So even if Ninty bought em back it wouldnt be the same anyway..its really said but i think Rare did everything they could have done ''All good things come to a end''
It's less the people and more the IPs. Nintendo's got some choice people (Retro, Sakurai, Int. Systems, those people who do Mario and Luigi...and even Nintendo EAD) I'm sure Retro could do a hell of a good job with a Banjo game.

As long as they don't try to be unique, and replace Gruntilda with Grunty Gong: Floating Witch Head Thingy

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
It's less the people and more the IPs. Nintendo's got some choice people (Retro, Sakurai, Int. Systems, those people who do Mario and Luigi...and even Nintendo EAD) I'm sure Retro could do a hell of a good job with a Banjo game.

As long as they don't try to be unique, and replace Gruntilda with Grunty Gong: Floating Witch Head Thingy
Totally agree Retro Studios is like the new Rare many people say that ! They could Revive Starfox/F-Zero/Donkey kong.

They are very good hope im not over rating em..am i?

Just they seem high up on the pedestal imo because the metroid prime series soo good & is one of my most loved series.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Retro is like, the new Rare to the fans. I don't think you can overrate them. They just need to bring back K. Rool, and I'll like them as much as everybody else. This is a discussion for not here though.

So how 'bout that new Smash game?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'll give it 15 years.

By then nobody cares about Banjo anymore and even though we get 10/10 Banjo games on a Nintendo console nobody would buy it and we'd all die.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
^^^ I think the Banjo IP is currently of value, it's just not being used. Perfect Dark is basically worthless to Microsoft, though.

Retro is the new Rare in a sense, but their studio isn't anywhere as big as Rare. They also don't produce as many games as Rare. Rare in the 90's literally made a classic or near-classic game every freaking year. Literally back to back they made DKC2, DKC3, Diddy Kong Racing, Banjo Kazooie, Goldeneye, Donkey Kong 64, Banjo Tooie, Perfect Dark, and Conker's Bad Fur Day, amongst other titles.
Let's just hope one day those IPs return to where they belong. Until then I'll be making myself a bird and a pair of yellow shorts for the revolution.
I just honestly want those IP's to be properly utilized. If a classic Banjo game was made on the Xbox 720, I would have no qualms about buying it, or about Banjo not being in smash. It's the fact that he's only been in 2 mediocre games since Rare was sold to Microsoft that hurts...

I meant more in the lines that Microsoft would close Rare, and Nintendo would buy many of Rare's IPs, specifically the ones before Microsoft bought them out.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Unless it's made in an acceptable toony way. You know, like the bruised mountain in Super Mario World.
I really can't think of any level of cartoonish style that'd be deemed acceptable for the female characters to get all bruised up...

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Samus if while wearing her Power Suit could have part of her Power Suit come off or get damaged. It'd be pretty cool to see a "banged up" Samus in her Power Suit without a helmet or with a partially broken helmet (revealing at least part of her face) and having totally damaged armor. It's unlike to happen, but boy oh boy would that be sweet.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
One of the reasons I find it so odd people expect the Diddy/Dixie tag team to be in Smash 4, honestly. I hardly even expect Dixie for similar reasons, but I'd love for her to be a 4th addition. How many times can I say that?
The Diddy/Dixie tag team idea wasn't "rejected" per se; they found it difficult to program. So it is possible that it may return in some form. (Like a Dixie/Kiddy tag team (I know you like Kiddy, so you won't say no :troll:))

Angiance

Smash Lord
Battle damage is a great idea! Having Pikachu and other cudorable characters bleeding delicious hawaiian punch creates such hype; Pikachu with scratch marks, a more aggresive voice, and angry eyes?...implemented. Let us all be sadist ^-^

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
The Diddy/Dixie tag team idea wasn't "rejected" per se; they found it difficult to program. So it is possible that it may return in some form. (Like a Dixie/Kiddy tag team (I know you like Kiddy, so you won't say no :troll:))
Heh. Ya got me there! If he decides to use Kiddy for it, and DOES include the Dixie/Kiddy tag team, then I'd be ALL for it! ******* don't know 'bout my Kiddy. I might even accept that as a third rep, if K. Rool doesn't make it. (Unlikely) but ONLY if Kiddy is also there. Don't need to be messin' with Diddy's moveset...

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
There isn't much of the rejected/scrapped stuff I'm actually interested except Banjo-Kazooie, Conker (obviously, even if I don't think they made it that far to development), and Mewtwo (not as much as others though).
I always found the Tetra/Toon Zelda idea boring and kinda useless, Dixie Kong should be in a team with Diddy, and all the others can stay away. Removing Dr. Mario was necessary, I would actually be pissed off to see him returning as a stand-alone character when he could work so easily and logically as a costume.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
^ THIS.

Dr. Mario always seemed like and unnecessary idea...

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Dr. Mario will be back. Deal with it. :troll: just kidding.

Suppose Dr. Mario happens to be completely different from Mario, would you still accept him?

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Samus if while wearing her Power Suit could have part of her Power Suit come off or get damaged. It'd be pretty cool to see a "banged up" Samus in her Power Suit without a helmet or with a partially broken helmet (revealing at least part of her face) and having totally damaged armor. It's unlike to happen, but boy oh boy would that be sweet.
I think damaged Samus would look like Robocop after the match against the ED-209, with only an eye showing (a classic). As for Zero Suit samus, I think a bit of rips on her suit and her hair unleashed should to the work. Additionally, she might have an eye medical patch like the one in ANIMAL CROSSING.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Battle Damage would be really cool.For cutesy characters like Kirby they could plaster a big cartoony bandaid on his face.The princesses of smash could have tears in their dresses (not anything revealing) and broken armor/cuts/bruises for everyone else.The feature would be easy to toggle on/off by disabling a variable in the options menu if you don't particularly care for it.

It's such a simple feature to add that alot of people would think is a cool detail.
I mean all they have to do is draw over the textures, or make a bandaid object that latches onto character's faces, not like they have to make a completely new character model with messed up hair or something.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
The messed air part could work too. Just think of Animal Crossing (when you access to the game after a long period of absence your char has his/her hair all messed up).

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Speaking of animal crossing, why isn't there a playable rep for the series yet!?! Surely they must have rejected an animal crosser to be playable in Brawl! Odd considering it has an item, assist trophy, and the best stage in Brawl!

Hypercat-Z, you appear to be the resident smashboards expert on the topic. Which character from animal crossing should represent the series in Smash? What kind of moves would an animal crosser have?

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
The answer is much obvious:

He has the weapon and the attitude.
And a full figure too:

Top Bottom