• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Controller?

ashes

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys,
so this may sound stupid but i use the wii mote and nunchuk to play ZSS(i also changed the settings so that when i shake the wiimote i get a smash jsut like the c-stick on the gamecube controller). I think I am fairly decent with it so i have kept at it. However, I know all the good players play with the gamecube controller. so i was wondering what are the pros and cons of each and if i am really at a disadvantage by using the wiimote and nunchuk. I am thinking of entering some tounaments soon and don't want to get clobbered just because one controller is better than the other. any advice would be nice.
thanks

Ørion

Smash Ace
Gamecube/Classic:
Pros:
People are used to it from melee
It has an extra joystick
compact configuration
Allows for advanced techniques such as wavebouncing and auto-RARing

Cons:
You can't change the distance between the two halves

Wii Remote w/ nunchuck
Pros:
Can be tailor-fit to the player
Grabs can be done easily without having to shift a finger

Cons:
No wavebouncing etc.
People aren't used to it
Only one joystick
Akward side taunt (not game changing, but it annoys me XD)

This is all IMO, I understand that somepeople prefer to use the wii remote and nunchuck, and I'm sure that you could get almost if not exactly as good with either one.

Adapt

Smash Lord
difference in skill>difference in controller

I use the wiimote-nunchuk configuration with some custom changes:
dpad up/down = up/down smash
tap jump off, shake smash off

the only this the gc controller can do that the mote-chuk can't is b-sticking
and for that matter I have always hated the GC controller's L and R buttons, they are not very sensitive

ashes

Smash Apprentice
Alright thanks.
you guys are much more positive toward the wiimote and nunchuck than those in the technical threads. I posted the same thread there as well to see what they said, which was gamecube controller all the way, though they did not state why.

sugarpoultry

BRoomer
BRoomer
Because if you were used to Melee (as most here were), its easier to adapt to. GC controllers are much more customizable in Brawl as well.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
A major issue is really anxiety over the feasibility of Wiimote/Nunchuck combos in tournaments. If half the people in a 64 entry tournament are using Wiimotes, many doubt the ability of Bluetooth to keep them all separate. Plus, syncing and unsyncing Wiimotes is a pain in the ***.

So most of the Wiimote hate is a combination of sugarpoultry's comment, and just frustration with Wiimotes in a tournament setting.

Top Bottom