• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What control is better in melee? Help

Goty Rase

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
RAZ#535
I am trying to get a gamecube control to play melee but i don’t know if the original gamecube control or the new version for ultimate is better? Someone can say me what control is better, i hear that the ultimate version can’t light shield but i am not sure about that, can someone tell me?

TheNewbLu

Smash Rookie
I'm still using a gamecube controller from when 4wiiu came out. Controllers I feel are a deeply subjective topic so you won't get a definitive answer for melee. Having said that if you buy a ultimate branded gamecube controller the shoulder buttons will still have analog shoulder buttons allowing you to light shield. Controllers are an entire rabbit hole you can fall down in and of themselves so my advice would be to just buy a new controller so you can start learning the game asap! As you find out who you like to play and what your style is you could look into more of the custom options that suit your style as a player. Hope this post helped!

Last edited:

RoundUp

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
RNDP#758
I am trying to get a gamecube control to play melee but i don’t know if the original gamecube control or the new version for ultimate is better? Someone can say me what control is better, i hear that the ultimate version can’t light shield but i am not sure about that, can someone tell me?
as a new player, just get any old (working) gamecube controller made by nintendo and start playing. as long as its an official nintendo controller, itll be fine. the new smash ultimate branded one's internals are the exact same as the original gamecube controllers, so youll be fine. and yes, you can lightshield with them haha

Goty Rase

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
RAZ#535
I'm still using a gamecube controller from when 4wiiu came out. Controllers I feel are a deeply subjective topic so you won't get a definitive answer for melee. Having said that if you buy a ultimate branded gamecube controller the shoulder buttons will still have analog shoulder buttons allowing you to light shield. Controllers are an entire rabbit hole you can fall down in and of themselves so my advice would be to just buy a new controller so you can start learning the game asap! As you find out who you like to play and what your style is you could look into more of the custom options that suit your style as a player. Hope this post helped!
Thanks for the comment, i buy the Ultimate version and it works perfectly

Goty Rase

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
RAZ#535
as a new player, just get any old (working) gamecube controller made by nintendo and start playing. as long as its an official nintendo controller, itll be fine. the new smash ultimate branded one's internals are the exact same as the original gamecube controllers, so youll be fine. and yes, you can lightshield with them haha
thanks for the comment, i buy the Ultimate Version and it works perfectly

Top Bottom