• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

what comes first when selecting a main

chococrow

Smash Cadet
NNID
chococrow
When selecting a main in smash what do you find to be the biggest factor: someone you find comfortable to play with, someone your good with, someone thats top tier, someone youve used in past smash games, etc.?

ScionVyse

Smash Rookie
NNID
ScionVyse
Generally, I play characters that I enjoy playing as. (For this game, it's Shulk, Ike, and Wario) For me at least, everything else is irrelevant.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Someone you like playing as. I'm good with Greninja (probably best with him) but he's not my favorite character to play so he takes second place behind Robin and I think it's important

KEWB

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KEWB99
3DS FC
4511-0666-0442
Pretty much the same the others have posted so far. It's all about what playstyle I enjoy the most for me. That does tend to go hand in hand with characters I'm good with too, but that's not always the case.

Last edited:

energonkid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Energon_kid
Switch FC
SW-5446-8459-8780
Originally in Brawl, I picked top-tier, cool looking characters, like Falco, Snake, and Lucario. Now I pick characters I'm good at, without a tier list. Although I don't like Wii Fit or Bowser in Mario games, I like them in Smash.

LordVacation

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SpaceVacation
Much like most people, at first you just play who you want to try out since realistically there's no way to know who is going to be your main from the get-go.
Then I'd try out my mains from past games to see if I could get a feel for them.
Then just gradually when you've tried the entire roster; just by who feels right-- that's your main.

Maybe there is some way to specifically make someone your main, whether it be only playing that one character until you're satisfied or maybe tricking yourself into thinking you're better than you actually are, I don't know.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Pretty much, find a character who you find to be the most fun to play. There is no point in getting better with a character who you hate to play as, since your motivation will be lower.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
Personally, it's whoever seems fun and unique and suits my playing style.

Last edited:

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
I have to like the character.

I never used Metaknight or Snake in Brawl because I'm not a fan of Kirby games, and I've never gotten into MGS.

My favorite newcomers in Brawl were Diddy Kong (one of my favorite video game characters period) and Olimar (I love Pikmin)

They just turned out to be really good in Brawl lol.

I like most of the roster in 4, but I'm not a fan of Punch Out or Kid Icarus (Haven't played it and Sakurai bias makes me want to keep it that way) so you won't see me playing Mac or Palutena/Alt skin Pit, but being a huge fan of Pac Man and Fire Emblem Awakening, Pac Man and Robin are being used a great deal, as well as Bowser Jr, who I dislike, but I love the Koopalings.

Last edited:

SuaveChaser

Smash Journeyman
Fun Factor and control. I have to enjoy playing the character and feel like have full control.

the8thark

Smash Lord
When selecting a main in smash what do you find to be the biggest factor: someone you find comfortable to play with, someone your good with, someone thats top tier, someone youve used in past smash games, etc.?
Fun.
If a character I will use a lot is not fun, then it'll just feel like I'm grinding with it and that's no fun.

Last edited:
3DS FC
2552-3002-7860
Whoever I find myself comfortable using. For example: I use Rosalina, Duck hunt, Bowser JR, Ike and Robin and Link. But I'm better with Ike than I am with any of the other characters. But I use Robin and Duck Hunt more often than Ike.

Point is : If I can get the grip of the character. I'll use it.

Which also means I don't use characters based on tiers. Unless I like them it just feels plain.

Last edited:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Characters I like and characters I'm confortable playing with.

And generally, the second reason is caused by the first. That's why I main :4zelda: and :4robinf: (and I've yet to play FE:Awakening, it's just that I can't say no to a mage with twintails :awesome:)

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Characters that I like, enjoy, and am comfortable with, but I strongly try to avoid top tiers. Now unless it's a character I really love, then that's nullified, but still. It all depends though. The game is still young, so things are subject to change. Pit and Palutena are staying no matter what though.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
They generally have to be a character I was looking forward to being in the game, and a character I love. If I like a character, 99% of the time I can make them work for me as a fighter.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Favorite character trumps everything else, so with the exception of Smash64, my main will always be a Fire Emblem character.

Past that, it's either characters I'm good with (typically Ness and Captain Falcon due to longevity in the series), characters from other games I like (still includes Ness and CFalc), and depending on how polar the cast is, may include one notably high-tier character as a backup. That said, Marth's been pretty far up in each game, so I haven't really had to adjust to include tiers deliberately.

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
I play characters I like don't care if they are top tier or not. If I hate a character I wouldn't be motivated to get better with them just wanted to see them die all the time.

Raijinken

Smash Master
I play characters I like don't care if they are top tier or not. If I hate a character I wouldn't be motivated to get better with them just wanted to see them die all the time.
Precisely how I've always felt about Olimar and Sheik :bee:

But it depends on the player. Some people prefer playing whatever gives them the best chance of winning. I personally don't respect that, but if it floats their boat, well, the prize money will speak for itself I guess.

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
Precisely how I've always felt about Olimar and Sheik :bee:

But it depends on the player. Some people prefer playing whatever gives them the best chance of winning. I personally don't respect that, but if it floats their boat, well, the prize money will speak for itself I guess.
People who play the character that give to the best chance of winning well the ones I com across seems to spam a lot, but that just the ones I see not all of them, and best of luck to the people that can play Olimar, I'm really bad with him that I make him look low tier to the non smash player.

Raijinken

Smash Master
People who play the character that give to the best chance of winning well the ones I com across seems to spam a lot, but that just the ones I see not all of them, and best of luck to the people that can play Olimar, I'm really bad with him that I make him look low tier to the non smash player.
There's no arguing the skill that goes into skilled play, for sure. For that matter, even lower-level play shows distinctions between players who know their character and players who just play who they think will let them win (i.e. most Little Mac players on For Glory).

Top Bottom