• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What characters are the most defensive? Offensive?

DugongLaw

Smash Rookie
Just looking to try some different playstyles.

What makes them offensive/defensive?

DugongLaw

Smash Rookie
What's the main difference between the playstyles? I'm assuming defensive is more slow/punishing/not approaching?

D

Deleted member 269706

Generally speaking (for me at least), the slower characters tend to be the more defensive characters whereas the faster ones are the more offensive. With more speed comes more opportunities to build up damage, but the slower characters have the opportunities to deal massive amounts of damage and go for the kill. There are obviously several exceptions, but in general, this is a pretty valid rule.

PND

Smash Champion
It comes down to player. I play a hyper defensive Mac and Jiggs. You can play defensive Sheik and Zamus. You can also play rushdown RosaLuma and Robin, using their options to pressure opponents all over the stage until they crack. I play a setup based, snake-like aggro Duck Hunt. You're not limited to a playstyle because of character choice.

Unless you're going for Air Mac. Don't play Air Mac.

Last edited:

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
Defensive: :4robinm::4duckhunt::4peach::rosalina::4villager::4yoshi:

Offensive: :4falcon::4darkpit::4fox::4greninja::4littlemac::4metaknight::4sheik::4zss:

The others are more balanced between the two imo.
I couldn't disagree more with Peach. She can camp to some degree with turnips but she's primarily a rushdown character.

Shen_Jehuty

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2423-3102-6095
What's the main difference between the playstyles? I'm assuming defensive is more slow/punishing/not approaching?
Most of the defensive characters are ones that reward a more campy style of play, and the majority of their attacks are best utilized when characters aggress them. The Offensive players are once that are best utilized by aggressive players that like charging and taking their opponent on directly. That is the most general way of describing it.

Clemente

Smash Journeyman
I agree, I'm not sure how Peach is defensive @Shen. Do you mean Peachs who like to float a lot or something?

And although I personally play really offensively with Pit, is he that focused towards offense as the rest of what you listed? He certainly doesn't move as quickly as those others characters...

Last edited:

Shen_Jehuty

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2423-3102-6095
I agree, I'm not sure how Peach is defensive @Shen. Do you mean Peachs who like to float a lot or something?

And although I personally play really offensively with Pit, is he that focused towards offense as the rest of what you listed? He certainly doesn't move as quickly as those others characters...
I actually take Peach back. I can see how she could be more balanced, but you and the other person are more right about her being a more offensive-type. Lol not sure what I was thinking when I put her in the defensive category :p

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
I also have to disgagree with yoshi as defensive. There are few things more terrifying than yoshi rushdown in this game.

Top Bottom