• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What causes you to turn around after being hit?

Shack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShackShack
3DS FC
1392-5021-7831
It's so frustrating because it feels like RNG. Sometimes I get launched and face my opponent, other times I'm facing the other way. Is there a condition that controls which way you face after getting hit? Sometimes it happens when grounded as well.

SteadyDisciple

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rorrim
AFAIK, most moves will keep you facing the same direction that you were facing when you got hit. That said, some moves are exceptions to this, like Mario's cape (which will reverse your direction) or most command grabs (which will set you to face a fixed direction on hit).

DelugeFGC

Smash Stick Space Cowboy
Switch FC
SW-2582-1162-1537
Most moves won't turn you around after being hit, if this is occurring it's likely because you're inputting a turnaround before taking the hit.

Krimnorr

Smash Cadet
I notice that smaller hits will turn you, like a jab. It seems pretty inconsistent though.

DelugeFGC

Smash Stick Space Cowboy
Switch FC
SW-2582-1162-1537
Jabs don't turn you around. You're inputting turnarounds before taking the hit. Run up and jab is like, my main neutral tool as a Falcon.. and I've never had it flip someone.

Last edited:

Shack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShackShack
3DS FC
1392-5021-7831
Ok, maybe I am already facing the other way when I get hit or trying to DI and flipping myself. I mostly see it when I get launched off the stage and want to come back with an aerial or B move. Thanks

DelugeFGC

Smash Stick Space Cowboy
Switch FC
SW-2582-1162-1537
Ok, maybe I am already facing the other way when I get hit or trying to DI and flipping myself. I mostly see it when I get launched off the stage and want to come back with an aerial or B move. Thanks
B-Reversing your recovery can be a good way to position yourself forward coming back on stage if that's applicable to the situation, but mainly I would just say try your best to avoid accidental L-Stick inputs. In higher level play this is one of the biggest things that hurts people coming in and I think a lot of people from all levels of play ignore it too much. Flicking the stick and letting it return to neutral on its own can cause snapback if it's done too hard, which can cause accidental turnarounds and such.. this was a huge problem in Melee before UCF and such.

Go into training mode and practice stuff involving turnarounds, starting with basic turnarounds (simply flip your character, no movement, just face the other way.. over and over as fast as you can, just edging the stick) and slowly work your way up to things like RAR's. This should improve your general use of the L-Stick overall and will help avoid accidental turnarounds. Also try to follow L-Stick with your thumb, when you can, even if just barely with the pad of it.. this is to avoid snapback.

Shack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShackShack
3DS FC
1392-5021-7831
B-Reversing your recovery can be a good way to position yourself forward coming back on stage if that's applicable to the situation, but mainly I would just say try your best to avoid accidental L-Stick inputs. In higher level play this is one of the biggest things that hurts people coming in and I think a lot of people from all levels of play ignore it too much. Flicking the stick and letting it return to neutral on its own can cause snapback if it's done too hard, which can cause accidental turnarounds and such.. this was a huge problem in Melee before UCF and such.

Go into training mode and practice stuff involving turnarounds, starting with basic turnarounds (simply flip your character, no movement, just face the other way.. over and over as fast as you can, just edging the stick) and slowly work your way up to things like RAR's. This should improve your general use of the L-Stick overall and will help avoid accidental turnarounds. Also try to follow L-Stick with your thumb, when you can, even if just barely with the pad of it.. this is to avoid snapback.
Oh yeah Ive been able to RAR since melee, it's more so after I get hit and am airborne, i notice my character is facing away from my opponent. But I prob should work more on my turnarounds so it doesnt matter which way im facing

Top Bottom