• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What capture device should I get...

Dinotard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Onehardtard
3DS FC
2766-8060-2134
I'm nothing special in terms of skill but I would really love to get into recording and streaming my smash matches. I feel it would be a good investment to stream and get feedback so I can be a better player.

I just want to know what hardware would you guys deem best to record wii u gameplay at 60fps? What do you guys use? And How has it helped you?

MadCanard

Smash Apprentice
Oooo one of those Avermedia ones is very nice. It has a "PC Free" mode so you don't need to hook it up to a computer while recording. That's great if you don't care about live streaming and just want to upload the videos to youtube.

Lamato

Smash Cadet
NNID
Lamato
3DS FC
4983-5234-2632
I just got my Elgato HD60 in the mail today and the video quality is nice and all. However, be weary that you should have a pretty decent computer when recording or else it will have some choppy moments. My laptop barely handles 720p ;_;

CoolBoyCorporate

Smash Cadet
I use the elgato HD capture. Theres a new one for the ps4/xbox 1 but the older model Elgato HD runs perfectly fine. Very simple and easy to use. I have some videos on youtube u can see where I record both PC/Wii U/PS3 for quality checks.

Type in my name "coolboycorporate" and go to the most recent videos as they may be of some help.

as well, I always recommend to people to watch the reviews and those who put it in real action to get the best knowledge

blaze1216j

Smash Apprentice
NNID
blaze1216j
Switch FC
0463-6711-5134
I been hearing that the Elgato is a good one to use, as for me, I use the Hauppauge HD PVR Rocket, it can record many formats and can do 60 fps. plus it's small enough so it doesn't take up space and you can take it to go anywhere.

Captain Norris

Smash Lord
NNID
ZeldaFan3280
The Elgato hardware is great, but the software is not the best. Plus, you have to have a really good computer to take full advantage of it.

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
el gato hd, the regular one. It works with current gen and old school systems like snes and can livestream. Does pretty much everything. There is an el gato that does 60fps but only works with ps4/xbone/ and i assume wii u. Depends if you wanna record old school games as well, but i would get the regular el gato. Great device but you need a decent computer to handle it. Compare your computer specs before buying.

Ndukauba

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ndukauba
3DS FC
4656-8073-6666
I just got my Elgato HD60 in the mail today and the video quality is nice and all. However, be weary that you should have a pretty decent computer when recording or else it will have some choppy moments. My laptop barely handles 720p ;_;
Easy fix. When you start recording, press the pause button. This will stop the video on the software, but it won't stop the video from recording. I used to have the same problem, but after I did this, I can now record in 1080p60 with absolutely no 'choppiness'.
I hope this helps =)

Cthulhu_MD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LordGouda
3DS FC
3179-6069-0553
As everyone has stated, the Elgato is pretty much the best option. I have an old, old, old, old capture device: The Hauppuauge HD PVR 1212. It still does me good, although if you're going to be streaming or not, the Elgato is much more efficient.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
I'm torn between whether or not I want to get an Elgato HD or the HD60 to start my streaming/recording with.

The latter is only $10 more then the former at the moment, but it seems like it requires a much stronger CPU to use properly, even if you're using a lower recording setting.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Live Gamer Portable works very nicely, can work with both AV and HDMI, and has a neat little button that you can press to start and stop recording.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Like I have said, the Elgato hardware is great, but the software is rubbish at points.
Yeah, I think I'd have to agree with this statement. I'm still happy with it, because it accomplishes my goals, but as far as editing and stuff, it's pretty crappy. But you can save the footage to your computer and load it in an editor at least.

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
Is there anything that doesn't cost 100+ dollars? I have spent all the money I can afford to spend trying to get all the amiibos (only 5 haven't been ordered/delivered :( ) So I can't buy anything too expensive.

Captain Norris

Smash Lord
NNID
ZeldaFan3280
Is there anything that doesn't cost 100+ dollars? I have spent all the money I can afford to spend trying to get all the amiibos (only 5 haven't been ordered/delivered :( ) So I can't buy anything too expensive.
If you are trying to get a quality, HD capture card, you probably will not. Maybe someone else knows of one though.

Sixfortyfive

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't even consider the Elgato because I don't bother with anything that has forced h.264 encoding anymore. I'd only use that if you need to get a USB 2.0 compatible device and can't do any better.

Smash 4 is a 1080p 60fps game. Get something that can actually do uncompressed 1080p60:
http://gamerzone.avermedia.com//game_capture/extremecap_u3
http://micomsoft.co.jp/xcapture-1.htm
http://micomsoft.co.jp/sc-512n1.htm
http://www.startech.com/AV/Converters/Video/usb-3-0-video-capture-device-hdmi-dvi-vga~USB3HDCAP

Does anyone have experience with the Black Magic Intensity line and a Wii U?
I had an Intensity Shuttle before I traded up for an XCAPTURE-1. I liked it well enough for the time.

Last edited:

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
for my recording, I am using Haupagge HVR 1.0 (the one without HDMI), sadly it forces me to record it to 720p or otherwise it will not record!

I am planing to get myself a Elgato HD 60 so I can use Haupagge for my Wii and Elgato for Wii U!

I wouldn't even consider the Elgato because I don't bother with anything that has forced h.264 encoding anymore. I'd only use that if you need to get a USB 2.0 compatible device and can't do any better.
actually, (me and my old media school opinion) think and still thinks h.264 are the best encoding for HD stuff, but it is all about the tastes in formats o:

Sixfortyfive

Smash Journeyman
actually, (me and my old media school opinion) think and still thinks h.264 are the best encoding for HD stuff, but it is all about the tastes in formats o:
It's bad when it's built into the hardware and forced because it tends to cause all kinds of other issues: video/audio lag, lack of DirectShow compatibility in third-party video software, and lower quality because the video is always compressed before it's even sent to your PC (often resulting in even poorer quality because that footage will be compressed again when using livestreaming software like XSplit or Open Broadcaster).

If you're using a card that feeds uncompressed video to the PC, you tend to avoid those issues and can still compress the footage however you like in software. Don't settle on USB 2.0 if you don't have to.

crcsmash

Smash Rookie
I have the AVerMedia Live Gamer Portable and works really fine, really easy to record and the price is really competitive here in Spain.

PotatoChief

Smash Cadet
well as I host Tournaments in different locations and my PC is not very portable I use AVerMedia Game Capture HD II. good quality and you can record from just the device here is some gameplay from a tournament

(Video has been editted and compressed a little the raw gamplay looks even better)

if you have a good laptop maybe get the Elgato but this is a nice portable choice.

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
Bought an Elgato HD60 and I can recommend it. The software isn't without faults but it works great when it works.

Joaco

Triforce of Wisdom
NNID
JoacoRyu8
Don't buy AverMedia, I have LOTS of issues with it.

Joaco

Triforce of Wisdom
NNID
JoacoRyu8
PS3 doesn't show up image to the TV when i'ts connected to lgp and if I record in 1080p on WiiU i get laggy gameplay. 720p WiiU works fine though, this is the best result I can get (raw):
And I have all firmwares up to date

Last edited:

PotatoChief

Smash Cadet
PS3 doesn't show up image to the TV when i'ts connected to lgp and if I record in 1080p on WiiU i get laggy gameplay. 720p WiiU works fine though
thats odd did you get the "AVerMedia Game Capture HD II" me and my friend have it and we both get 1080p and no lag I use it at tournaments

this is editted footage taken from my Avermedia

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
Hope it's ok I piggy back on this thread.

I have been thinking it would be nice to get a video capture thing that doesn't involve my digital camera and whatever the heck I can find to stack it on... quite a pain and quite low quality.... and I have no desire to preserve all the noisy distractions & interruptions that have a way of happening at key times.

Friends and I try to do a monthly smash tourney (not the normal competitive rules) and this has been brought up... and I'd think it would help to be able to go back later and watch my games and look for places to improve.

At this point I have no interest in doing any live streaming... may or may not upload some stuff to youtube later however.

My tv is ancient standard def, but the person who usually hosts has an HDTV... I think 1080p but I am not sure.
I'd like a device that can connect to either.

I don't have a laptop... went desktop to save money and make upgraded a cheaper option... so something that doesn't require a computer connection would be nice. Obviously, Ill need to be able to transfer it to one after the fact.

I don't know if it makes a difference, but something that could work on the Wii, Wii U, Xbox 360, and maybe even older systems would be nice.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

SamBlueBox

Smash Rookie
NNID
SamBlueBoxx
I use an El Gato and I love it!! highly recommened it.
It makes everything so simple, I used to use a Dazzle and then a HDPVR.
The El Gato is so simple and Its really easy to stream from.
I don't have a powerful laptop but the El Gato streams and records like a BEAST!!

Aus10K

Smash Rookie
NNID
Aus10K
I use an Elgato to record and stream most of my smash matches. My computer isn't the best but somehow I can drop some pretty decent videos at nice quality. So if you can find a deal somewhere on a used or refurbished one that's what I'd suggest.

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
IF you want a cheap solution you can try this.
Basically it makes the Wii U think your computer is the gamepad. and you can record the stream sent from the Wii U to the Gamepad.
This obviously limits you to the quality of the gamepad. 854x480 or 480p

Last edited:
Top Bottom