• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What can Mac even do against characters with good grab range?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nintyplayer

Smash Cadet
Mac needs to be close in order to hit. He has super armor, which helps when you're getting hit. But some characters have really good grab range. The only chance you get is if they misread the grab and then you really only have time to do a dash attack or a quick up smash. I've literally been in situations where I side B'd at them, they grabbed me, tossed me off the edge, and I couldn't get back on while at only about 15%.

Leon Trotsky

Smash Rookie
Being gimped is probably Mac's biggest weakness. Terrible air game and recovery. If they are at low % then they will recover before you do if you hit them with a sideB. Try and save it for dodging projectiles as it's fairly punishable if they shield it. Macs dash speed is unreal, if you are having trouble with characters with long range grabs try baiting a throw by dashing in and either rolling back out or dashing back out and punishing their whiffed grab.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
You should almost never be in point blank range as Mac. Mac's optimal range is the maximum range of his tilts, which have excellent hitboxes, are all safe on block, and very rewarding.

You don't even have to do much once you're in that range. Wait for your opponent to be forced to move by the threat of your fast options, and then try punishing them.

Last edited:

Yoki

Smash Apprentice
Spaced FTilts all day, erryday. Down Tilt is a good replacement against characters with low crouches.

Side B is a very good, but very unsafe and situational move - only use it for guaranteed punishes, especially against projectiles. Mac's dash attack is also a punish move, not an approach.

Last edited:

GreenFlame

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0275-7873-0005
It's actually not as bad for him as it sounds. Ones with really good grab range, like ZSS or Link have very high ending lag in their grabs if they miss. Just roll around to dodge their grab then punish them from behind. He does have a fighting chance against those characters, unless they've trained specifically to kill Macs. If you're a good Mac though, you can do it. It might sound like he'd get horribly beaten, but the thing is that he's so fast, he's hard to grab and it's easy for him to punish a mistimed grab.

jviscake

Smash Rookie
One of the best baits I've come across is dash to backwards roll. Mac comes in so hot & his roll animation is so good that you can bait a bad reaction if it isn't a projectile. ZSS becomes easier if you can bait her grab then come in with some pummeling. For a range game, you can play the exact same way and bait them to come closer to you.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Forward Smash appears to be safe on block against most characters when spaced, and it has huge range. This is actually my primary goto move. Also, jab provides strong pressure on a shield, and cannot be grabbed if converted into rapid jabs, until the jabs are completed, but this move also does significant shield damage.

But if they're blocking in fear of your attack, just grab them. Mac is really fast. Cross up rolls are also good.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom