• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What can down b absorbe ?

Momento

Smash Rookie
So I keep facing Ganons, and wtf down b can’t take his smash attacks or his neutral b. I thought it could take any one hit. If he can’t block that then what one hit can’t he block?

Swordmaster102

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Swordmaster102
Yes. As you stated, Ryu can only absorb 1-hit attacks. The thing though is that it can only take in so much damage for that one attack. I don’t have the numbers (exact percentages), but as Ryu charges his FA, it’s damage cap that it can take increases. So a level 3 FA can take in a meatier hit than a level 1 FA.

Back to your main point, there is a cap to how much damage FA can take in, and Ganon is one of the few characters that can swipe right through it (his smash attacks). I could be wrong, but I believe it doesn’t matter what level the FA is at, it’ll always be enough to smash through it.

Last edited:

Aquamentii

Smash Apprentice
Swordmaster's explanation is mostly correct, there are stages to focus depending on how long you charge it. However, the longest charge can withstand any single attack. You can test this in training mode yourself -- I myself did just now to confirm it. You can make CPU ganon Fsmash or neutral B (convenient, seeing as how those were the moves discussed) and time it so the attack hits right before Ryu/Ken's counterattack. If a ganon forward smashes in a match it is unlikely you can react fast enough to focus long enough to tank it, since, like Swordmaster said, the earlier stages of focus are breakable.

As you keep this in mind, remember some attacks may look like one but are actually two. Charizard's flare blitz is the prime example: you may think the top level of focus can beat it, but in reality no level can, because there is really a small hitbox that combos into the big meaty hitbox of the move.

Top Bottom