• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Can Be Customized in a Hackless Build?

SmashBroski

Smash Ace
NNID
BookerDewott
3DS FC
1907-9072-8026
I've been doing some customization of Project M for a while but I was curious as to what can be fully edited without homebrew, Riivolution, etc.

Socertain, I know the following can be edited:
- Music
- Stages
- SFX
- Stage Expansions

However, can I edit SS icons, music tiles, or anything else or is what I mentioned the only ones. This is for 2.6b by the way.

Will anything change for 3.0?

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
As far as I know, you can edit anything that you can edit in a hacked build. It's all in the SD card. The only difference now between Homebrew/Riivolution is how you go into the game. With Homebrew/Riivolution you can enter Project M right off the bat without needing to go through the stage builder.

I hope that helped.

SmashBroski

Smash Ace
NNID
BookerDewott
3DS FC
1907-9072-8026
As far as I know, you can edit anything that you can edit in a hacked build. It's all in the SD card. The only difference now between Homebrew/Riivolution is how you go into the game. With Homebrew/Riivolution you can enter Project M right off the bat without needing to go through the stage builder.

I hope that helped.

So regardless of the fact I'm using a hackelss Wii and the hackless download of Project M, I should be able to edit things such as Stage Select icons and music tiles, is that what you're saying?

Tutorials on doing those things can be found around here too as well, right?

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
So regardless of the fact I'm using a hackelss Wii and the hackless download of Project M, I should be able to edit things such as Stage Select icons and music tiles, is that what you're saying?

Tutorials on doing those things can be found around here too as well, right?
Everything I learned to do, I learned by either hearing people talk about it, asking questions or just digging into the common5.pac. You'd probably be better off looking into the Brawl hacking forum in order to find indepth information regarding editing stuff. There's probably a few useful guides there anyways.

SmashBroski

Smash Ace
NNID
BookerDewott
3DS FC
1907-9072-8026
Everything I learned to do, I learned by either hearing people talk about it, asking questions or just digging into the common5.pac. You'd probably be better off looking into the Brawl hacking forum in order to find indepth information regarding editing stuff. There's probably a few useful guides there anyways.

I was wondering if you could point me in the right direction by any chance.

This is what I'm looking to do:

1. I'm looking to replace Saffron City with a more neutral Spear Pillar but I want to move the Saffron City stage and replace Brinstar with it. How would I go about this?

2. This somewhat relates to 1. Can I change the SS icons, previews, and stage names in hackless for said changes? What software would I need?

3. If I want to change Music Tiles, would I need to edit the info.pac from Project M or do I have to download Brawl's and re-adjust it based on P:M's changes as well as my own?

Thanks!

Fortress

Smash Master
1. I'm looking to replace Saffron City with a more neutral Spear Pillar but I want to move the Saffron City stage and replace Brinstar with it. How would I go about this?
You're looking to mess around with .rel files, which is something that is apparently pretty simple, but I've never done it. Head over to Brawl Vault, or ask Splat. Somebody can show you how to do this. Google is always your friend.

2. This somewhat relates to 1. Can I change the SS icons, previews, and stage names in hackless for said changes? What software would I need?
You will need Brawl Box for this. Just go onto Brawl Vault and do an advanced search for it, it'll come up as the first result. Changing the 'name' of the stage will actually be changing the 'image' which has the name written on it. The name of the stage is actually just an image that you insert. Get GIMP for that. You're going to need gimp for pretty much all of this. Two programs are all you need.

3. If I want to change Music Tiles, would I need to edit the info.pac from Project M or do I have to download Brawl's and re-adjust it based on P:M's changes as well as my own?
Just open common.5 some file that I'll find in a couple of minutes with Brawl Box and click around. The titles of the songs are somewhere in there, but you just click on the section they're in, and you can change them in this handy little textbox.

I'll have some images on how to do this in, like, twenty minutes. Let me make some for you.

Here you go, look for this file to mess with stage previews and titles:

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
http://www.lakora.us/rel/
You can go here to get your own custom .rel files.
If a stage is supposed to go over Spear Pillar, but you want it over Brinstar instead, this let's you do that.
Doesn't work 100% of the time, depending on the stage.
(I.E. first option you pick Spear Pillar, second option Brinstar).
Be sure to put it in your module folder.

Fortress

Smash Master
Also, if you're going to mess with the previews and titles of stages, make certain that they're the same dimensions as the originals. Brawl Box will show you what those are, but I believe going over those originals can mess with your game, in the same way that you can bungle it with character select portraits.

SmashBroski

Smash Ace
NNID
BookerDewott
3DS FC
1907-9072-8026
Also, if you're going to mess with the previews and titles of stages, make certain that they're the same dimensions as the originals. Brawl Box will show you what those are, but I believe going over those originals can mess with your game, in the same way that you can bungle it with character select portraits.

Thanks so much man!

One more question, or two rather.

1. Are there any tutorials on Smash Boards how to do this?
2. Since Spear Pillar and Saffron City have been in Brawl/Project M, is there a place I can download them?

Fortress

Smash Master
Here's a glossary of guides.

The quick guide to replacing a character portrait, stage portrait/name, or whatever goes like this:

1. Open the file you want to mess with. In our case, the one I showed in the picture.
  2. Simply expand directories and click around until you find what you want to replace. In most cases, what you're looking for has a bunch of stuff related to it next to it already (i.e. profile pictures are lumped together, stage previews are, and stage portraits are, as well).
  3. Click on the specific thing you want to replace, and write down its dimensions somewhere.
  4. Create a picture in GIMP with the same properties, with transparency in the background (an option for this is available when you create a new file in GIMP).
  5. Back in Brawl Box, right-click that same thing you wanted to replace, and click 'replace'. Navigate to the file you want to use, and throw it on.
  6. Save.
That's all there is to it.

Anybody know why I can't link to things properly? I type in the code like I do on any other forum, and the "[url =" portion just disappears, and I'm left with yellow text followed by [/url].

SmashBroski

Smash Ace
NNID
BookerDewott
3DS FC
1907-9072-8026
How do I change the titles of music that pops up at the beginning of a match?

I managed to change the titles in the menu but the changes didn't show up during a match.

Fortress

Smash Master
I forget where to do that, but I did find out how to change what the cast looks like during the intro sequence... and that cast members not present just have a blank picture... lol.

SmashBroski

Smash Ace
NNID
BookerDewott
3DS FC
1907-9072-8026
I forget where to do that, but I did find out how to change what the cast looks like during the intro sequence... and that cast members not present just have a blank picture... lol.

Aside from changing the stage titles at the beginning of the match, I managed to get everything I wanted down.

Thanks so much, man!

SmashBroski

Smash Ace
NNID
BookerDewott
3DS FC
1907-9072-8026
Sorry for the double post, but I have one question:

How do I change the icons like how Project M changed the mushroom icon for Mushroomy Kingdom and the Super Mario Bros. logo to the Smash icon and Super Smash Bros. logo for Metal Cavern?
That's what I'm trying to do now since Brinstar is now Saffron City, I don't want the Metroid and Brinstar there, rather I'd like Pokemon and the Poke Ball icon. Is that possible?

Fortress

Smash Master
Yeah, it is, but I'd have to remember which of the commonX.pac files all of that is in. You'd go about it the same way as changing stage previews and character portraits.

SmashBroski

Smash Ace
NNID
BookerDewott
3DS FC
1907-9072-8026
After doing some of these changes to my build, my game's starting to freeze when I'm playing with 3 - 4 players as well as going to more rules.

Any clues as to why?

Fortress

Smash Master
I wouldn't have the faintest clue as to why. Run through this checklist.

1. How is the game freezing up?
  • Is it a freeze that you have to hard-reset the game because of?
  • Does it just freak out for a second?
2. What triggers this freeze?
  • Does it occur when you select a certain stage, or color on a character?
  • Does it occur in-game as well as in-menu?
If you're getting a freeze in-game during the starting countdown, it's likely a texture you're using causing the issue. When the players appear, one-by-one, the problem texture will be the one that freezes the game when that player appears.
Without something more specific, I can't really guess. I'd have to know what you changed, what you changed it to, and if you made sure you used the correct dimensions, filetypes, and all of that.

SmashBroski

Smash Ace
NNID
BookerDewott
3DS FC
1907-9072-8026

If you're getting a freeze in-game during the starting countdown, it's likely a texture you're using causing the issue. When the players appear, one-by-one, the problem texture will be the one that freezes the game when that player appears.

Without something more specific, I can't really guess. I'd have to know what you changed, what you changed it to, and if you made sure you used the correct dimensions, filetypes, and all of that.

• When it freezes, there's this loud screeching sound and I have to turn it off and back on.
  • Freaks out permanently
  • Occurred when two friends and I went to play a game on Pokemon Stadium 2. Tried again, same characters, same stage, happened again. Tried Final Destination, happened again.
  • P:M was working fine with two players, started freaking out when a third friend came in. Also froze when checking random stage selection stages.

Fortress

Smash Master
  • Occurred when two friends and I went to play a game on Pokemon Stadium 2. Tried again, same characters, same stage, happened again. Tried Final Destination, happened again.
  • P:M was working fine with two players, started freaking out when a third friend came in. Also froze when checking random stage selection stages.
Sounds like you might have an issue with a specific character texture then. Is your third friend choosing the same character and color every time? If so, that's the problem. See if selecting that character and color will cause the same issue. It took me ages to get Minty Sonic to work without him crashing the game. Again, once you find out what texture (if any) is causing the crash, the fix is as easy as removing that texture.

If a texture isn't causing that problem, then you may have goofed when you messed around with those .pacs in BBox. Replacing your commonX.pacs with clean ones will fix that.

SmashBroski

Smash Ace
NNID
BookerDewott
3DS FC
1907-9072-8026
Sounds like you might have an issue with a specific character texture then. Is your third friend choosing the same character and color every time? If so, that's the problem. See if selecting that character and color will cause the same issue. It took me ages to get Minty Sonic to work without him crashing the game. Again, once you find out what texture (if any) is causing the crash, the fix is as easy as removing that texture.

If a texture isn't causing that problem, then you may have goofed when you messed around with those .pacs in BBox. Replacing your commonX.pacs with clean ones will fix that.

That's what I figured - that it involved the commonX.pacs, though when I ran a slightly modded version (no commonX.pacs edits) it crashed again.

Got a fresh copy and it played fine.

My RSBE01.gct both had the Replacement Soundbank Engine, one had a Stage Expansion code and the other had a BRSTM Equalizer code if that's worth mentioning.

SmashBroski

Smash Ace
NNID
BookerDewott
3DS FC
1907-9072-8026

Ok I'm going through the common5.pac in Brawl Box and backtracking. Before I started having the freezing issues, the last thing I changed was under "sc_selcharacter_2_en, MenuRule_en, ModelData [0], Textures (NW4R)," where I changed MenSelmapIcon.16 and MenSelmapIcon.58; I used PNG images that are 64x58. Next I changed MenStageSwitch.16 and MenStageSwitch.58 with 128x64 PNG images.

Previously, I also change the same MenSelmapIcons under "sc_selmap_en, MiscData[80], Textures (NW4R). Something I'd like to point out is that the MenSelmapPrevbase files I'm using are 144x144 PNG images, but I had no problems with this.

The game froze and made buzzing noises when we entered a match with the Black and White Mario alt, Gold Link alt, and a default Ganondorf. Same thing happened again when my friend tried to use the Black and White Mario alt. and pink Squirtle.

Fortress

Smash Master
It has to be that texture over Mario then (assuming you've installed one over his normal brown and white one). If that's the case, just remove it and you'll be good to go.

SmashBroski

Smash Ace
NNID
BookerDewott
3DS FC
1907-9072-8026
It has to be that texture over Mario then (assuming you've installed one over his normal brown and white one). If that's the case, just remove it and you'll be good to go.

He was using the second to last costume, though and that's already in-game.

Could it be the stage textures I changed or no?

SmashBroski

Smash Ace
NNID
BookerDewott
3DS FC
1907-9072-8026
Replaced the common5.pac with an unchanged one.

Went to More Rules and P:M crashed again.

SmashBroski

Smash Ace
NNID
BookerDewott
3DS FC
1907-9072-8026
Ok I've narrowed down the problem.

Whenever I go to "More Rules" and then to "Random Stage Switch" the game crashes and makes a loud buzzing noise. Can the mu_menumain.pac files be touched at all? I know this is the file to change things like music names but I've never touched the icons in this file but it seems when I do so, the game crashes.

In the .pac file, I've edited textures under "MiscData [0]" as well as textures under "ModelData[0]" under "MenuRule_en."

All I'm trying to replace are the Saffron City icons so the come up as Spear Pillar and the Brinstar icons so they come up as Saffron City.

I also edited info_training.pac to match the changes I've made to track names.

Fortress

Smash Master
To be quite honest, I can't be too sure of what you did outside of goofing up somewhere while playing around with those stage icons. I'd just replace that mu_menumain.pac with a clean one.

SmashBroski

Smash Ace
NNID
BookerDewott
3DS FC
1907-9072-8026
To be quite honest, I can't be too sure of what you did outside of goofing up somewhere while playing around with those stage icons. I'd just replace that mu_menumain.pac with a clean one.

Yeah, I'm going to stay away from editing the "Random Stage Switch" icons and look around more.

Everything else's fine.

Top Bottom