• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are the applications of Mario's f-tilt and d-tilt?

NotEvenAmatueR

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Teamplays
Hello Mario mains. I've been playing Mario for a while. I understand the applications of most of Mario's moves and how to use them effectively, however, I can't seem to find a use in Mario's f-tilt and d-tilt. I know they aren't too great, but are there any situations where they are better options than jab and u-tilt? Thanks.

Cecil St.Cyr

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4012-3749-9731
Sometimes i use f-tilt after i finish a combo or use a nair that sends them pretty close but not close enough for a jab. It just comes out naturally but other than that i hardly use it. Unless you like to use turnaround tilts when being chased. For down tilt i use it sometimes at higher percentages to combo into up air, or even a JC upsmash if they air dodge. At lower percents like 40-50 ish ill just use dtilt and a forward smash, which usually hits unless they jump or have a move with great frame data

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
D-tilt is great! Combo starter, even at higher percents, and has good range (for Mario standards). I use it also for mixups between up tilts and jabs at lower percents.

FUEGO!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MontyRattata
F-tilt tends to be my "keep away" close range move when Jab just isn't getting in, but that's about all i do. I sometimes will do hip checks, but I rarely find a need to.

D-tilt, however, I use to mix up with Up-tilts if they DI the Down throw down and away. You can also score re-grabs this way. I demonstrate a good string of what I'm talking about here, where i lab out this and other things:

Last edited:

Zanarkan

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zanarkan28
Yeah I agree with most of what's here, f-tilt is a good spacing tool and a good "get off me" tool for dealing with some rush-down characters. d-tilt is a good combo mix up and combo starter at lower percents.

Smoking_Hot_BBQ

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cvl257
3DS FC
4098-4726-7823
d-tilt in a way replaces up tilt for comboing at 45-50ish percent. It's a good mixup for opponents who assume you'll uptilt.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Down tilt is one of his best moves. It's his main combo starter at mid to higher percents along with down throw. It's safe to throw out, too.
Forward tilt is mainly a move to throw out when you just want a hitbox out. It's not be used too much at close range because it has little range, and it can be comboed into from back air. Pivot forward tilt isn't too bad, either.

LieSander

Smash Rookie
Against heavies who have taken a little damage (like 10%) or sometimes even none at all, d throw can lead into d tilts, which lead into regrabs. Rinse, repeat until you can't regrab, and start the up air juggles.

F tilt I don't use much but if you're on the retreat against someone who spams a non tether grab, you can run back and pivot f tilt in an attempt to stuff their approach.

Last edited:

Tremendo Dude

Smash Apprentice
NNID
XGShadowstar
3DS FC
3093-8423-4303
I've heard that dtilt is a good option for catching landings, since the hitbox sticks out covering a good portion of the ground and it's very safe, moreso than a grab. It also leads into a grab, utilt, or uair depending on your rage or your opponent's %. Besides this, I've had some success with Perfect Pivot dtilt as an anti-approach/counterattack combostarter, though I haven't been able to play around with that too much. I'll keep at it.

Top Bottom