• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are some advantages wolf has over other spacies.

Yams Everywhere

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3454-1934-0304
In project m, I'm a mario main, and to help become a more technical player, I've picked up fox. Recently, I started playing wolf, and both characters have similar traits and are strong contenders for my secondary. I was just wondering what kind of advantage wolf has over the other spacies, specifically fox.

Searing_Sorrow

Smash Journeyman
Wolf gets comboed even harder at times against some of the cast. Wolf's shine can be crouch canceled which is a major nerf and flaw. Wolf lacks any move like Fox's up smash as far as quick smashes go, this leads to a more threatening dash dance and neutral game for fox. Wolf's up air doesn't kill as quickly as fox's. Wolf is slower than fox. People have been playing with fox for a decade compared to wolf who just came out, and there is a comfort factor with fox over wolf.That is pretty much about it as far as I know, both are glass cannons, but wolf is more prone to sd.

Yams Everywhere

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3454-1934-0304
Thanks man that makes a lot of sense. I notice when I play fox, I'll kill people at like 90%, but with wolf, I have to heavily combo them until I get either a spike or a bair. With wolf, I kill either as early as like 60% or as late as 150%.

Legal_Action96

Smash Rookie
Alot of what sorrow has said is untrue. First off wolf does not get punished harder than fox. While he has a total falling speed higher than fox and is heavier, fox still has what i believe to be the superior acceleration. Even then, falcon fox and falco in melee were combod equally, its just that falcon had the bulk to be able to be combod for longer than the spacies who were at kill percent after a few hits. Also if anything, wolfs superior weight not only allows him to live longer and crouch cancel for longer being 10 units higher, but it also means that it is harder to act off of grabs when chaingrabbing him, though regrabs are mostly the same between the three spacies.

As it stands wolf is pretty much a superior spacy and has a likeness to mario. Wolfs strengths over the other two are that he has the best recovery, he lives longest, he has the best crouchcancel along with options out of it, he has the strongest and broadest punish game with an actual killmove finisher out of it, and has defensive skills unmatched by the other spacies. He is one of the highest jumpers in the game, nearly as high as falco, and is one of the fastest characters in the game, faster than charavters like marth sheik and pikachu and only slightly slower than fox. His airspeed is superior to both and his dashdance is one of the longest in the game, which is a luxury to have such a funtional dashdance. His jumpsquat is averagely good and his wavedash is decent. Even crouchcanceling, which most people claim is a weakness of his, is faulty against him at best due to his great mobilty and grabs, his strong dair meteor which is actually bad to crouch cancel, and his ability to multishine and shinegrab on crouch cancelers, plus he can jump over low hitting crouch cancel options such as down smashes and respond with dairs.

The only downside to wolf is that his approach options are weaker, but this matters little in the face of wolfs many advantages, and the fact that wolf can play a bait and punish game superior to falcon even, and he has good defensive options that he can abuse in the neutral. Even his approach isnt too bad since he flies nearly as far as falcon when he performs a running jump, and this coupled with a dair or a fair followed by a shine is pretty safe. Much of his approach weaknesses are nullified anyway by platforms.

Wolf is far easier than either fox and falco, and he has the best dsmash out of the three. All of his smashes are strong and fast. His uair and bair and his projectile, not to mention his movement in general are also very reminiscent of mario too, so if you enjoy mario try playing wolf. Hes good and also fairly technical as well.

Last edited:

Searing_Sorrow

Smash Journeyman
While I will concede to you he does not get punished harder, the argument is fairly negligible considering these are spacies we are talking about, and wolf is no exception to starting stock at kill percent, see k9 vs chillin. The crouch cancel option I would have noted as being the superior of the three, if his shine couldn't also be crouch canceled, which could lead to a tech chase for you or a punish against you dependent on percent. Having a cc'able shine is a major hinderance to oos options and can lead to being more safely pressured. Where as fox retains a 1f OOS shine non-cc that can usually be followed up by an up smash, and falco also has a non-cc shine that starts pillar combos.

Wolf's approach is the worst of the 3, but remains really good, and he is the only spacie with a good fair lol. Not saying wolf has no good qualities, just at this point in time, no one has showed any true superiority with him over the other spacies. Fox has the best smash attack period in up smash, and falco has the best aerial in dair. Wolf has the potential to be more consistent, but because a lot of his kill combos end in sideb, he is more prone to sd's off of slightly misreading d.I. My earlier post could have been made clearer, but it wasn't spouted ignorance either, wolf's meta is not as explored. Though he and falco are the easiest starting off.

Last edited:

Legal_Action96

Smash Rookie
In reality all shines are crouch cancelable, foxs approaching with badly spaced nair shines can be eaten up by marios, peachs, or falcos who have good quick options out of a CC. Falcos shine is also CCable and would be more often if it wasnt for the fact that he has a quick spike that he can approach with, something you should never want to CC. Wolfs is CCable more often due to it just being flat out weaker and also having worse tools to dealing with CCing, but it is by no means a counter. Wolf can always try mixing up doubleshines or dairs on CCers and if he mixes up correctly he can even go for a grab or roll away. Wolf has far superior options than most characters to dealing with CC so while he might not be as good at it as the other spacies, as long as you are smart and are a step ahead of your opponent then you shouldnt have anytrouble dealing with it. I dont think any character has an option out of a CC that can deal with wolfs multishining aside from mario and his op 3 frame dsmash.

I disagree that wolf hasnt shown superiority to the others yet. Chillin is by far the most successful spacie player aside from m2k out of all of the three, and m2k only uses fox as a CP, using mostly mewtwo. Chillin has had results better than most could ask for, and as we see him become more consistent with wolf and things like side b shortens then well begin to see wolfs superiority develop. Im fairly confident that at the moment chillin could take out mangos falco in pm. So while wolfs side b is risky, the ability to get a free set up into such a powerful move (rivals knee in power) from both aerials, grabs, techchases, and reads is a huge advantage, not to mention that wolf is extremely solid even without it.

Searing_Sorrow

Smash Journeyman
We can agree on a lot of that, but even chillin had just as solid of a fox from melee, so I attribute that more to him just being a good player. Because their all semi clones, it is incredibly difficult to compare the spacies without looking at a different spacie as comparison. Not saying its melee marth Roy bad, just the skill gap between the best wolf and fox/falco at this time is still incredibly far. And only having one to two relevant mains of wolf from a tourney standpoint means the results will always look worse. Chillin would have to be significantly better than players like m2k(too many great fox mains, will be insulting to leave them out of the discussion) to avg the same dominance, and I just don't see that happening. I will say mastering that side b will be essential to surpassing both spacies. Side note silentwolf is still better, and rats just about as good as chillin)

Last edited:

Booster

Smash Lord
Pros:

Better knockback and damage with Blaster
Better Reflector, hurls objects including explosives back at opponents with 50% more damage
Lasts longer
Recovery can be used quickly
Smashes deal more damage
More Powerful Final Smash

Cons

Blaster has terrible fire rate and range
Much slower then Fox and Falco
Wolf Flash goes diagonally which means it's not going to hit often even for experts
Falls faster
Reflector is much slower to activate then Fox and Falco
Smashes are slower
Final Smash has a shorter duration
Recovery Move is harder to control thanks to it activating so quickly
In Vanilla Brawl he is pretty much unplayable cause the cons are ALOT worse

If you want a shortened version: More Powerful, But Slower

He's not a bad character in Project M by any means, he's greatly improved, but his Reflector isn't as good as it was in Brawl

Last edited:
Top Bottom