• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are good counterpick stages when playing as Sonic?

Favorite Counterpick stage for Sonic?

• Battlefield

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Final Destination

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Smashville

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Town & City

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Halberd

• Duck Hunt

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Delfino Plaza

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Lylat Cruise

• Kongo Jungle

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Some Omega Stage not listed

Votes: 2 7.1%

• Total voters

GreenChaChing

Smash Apprentice
What are good counterpick stages when playing as Sonic?

I personally like BF for counterpick, as I can weave through the platforms better than most other characters. Also, any other Sonic tips would be useful, like how can I mix up the way I approach other than with spin dash?

B_Cypher

Smash Rookie
I really like lylat cruise mostly because of the absence of the upper most platform (the top battlefield platform is what Im referring too). This absence of the platform allows sonic to not worry so much about the Dair lag. I always hated landing on that stupid BF platform and lagging hard. Plus I rarely see this in competitions so its a nice curveball.

Anyway, some fun approaches to do with sonic is the SHNair then jab combo. 20 damage easy. run, shield, grab is another approach that is quite common but nice for sonic once you get the timing down

The_Paradiddler

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 2397 7602 9504
I really like halberd. The ceiling is low for early kills out of spring. Also, the platform is at a nice height for up smash punishes, and the non-solid stage opens up different recoveries from under.

Plus, unfamiliar people always get hit by that skill crane haHA

Reksho

Smash Cadet
NNID
Reksho
3DS FC
3840-5902-9293
I honestly hate Battlefield as Sonic. I feel like his moves are severely limited by the platforms (especially the homing attack). This is more of a preference but the way I play Sonic is that I need a lot of space on the stage to do whatever I need to do. His airgame is pretty good but loses out when playing other characters with good aerials which makes the platforms just get in the way.

I mostly go Smashville. Lots of space and the moving platform is good for the occasional b-throw or b-air.

Sonic Orochi

Smash Ace
Pretty much anything but BF.

Also, I'm starting to like Lylat this time around. It's not like we can't autosnap with our up B anymore. Just have to be extra cautious with Lylat possibly activating BSBS with its tilting shenanigans.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Animal Crossing stages are Sonic's territory.

FD and most Omega stages are actually quite cozy too.

I've taken such a turn from Brawl. Brawl Sonic was so good on BF and Lylat, but now I find Sonic is far better on more dynamic platforms, or the lack of them… Sonic doesn't have the same benefits anymore from Lylat, and BF really doesn't accommodate our tools anymore.

I'm even sketchy about Halberd sometimes because it seems like almost everyone benefits from the low ceilings.

sigh.

Kongo Jungle and Duck Hunt can be interesting CPs for us. Delfino's still eh.

Also this poll is missing Castle Siege (not that anyone should ever vote for it anyway… I always ban it).

:093:

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Animal Crossing stages are Sonic's territory.

FD and most Omega stages are actually quite cozy too.

I've taken such a turn from Brawl. Brawl Sonic was so good on BF and Lylat, but now I find Sonic is far better on more dynamic platforms, or the lack of them… Sonic doesn't have the same benefits anymore from Lylat, and BF really doesn't accommodate our tools anymore.

I'm even sketchy about Halberd sometimes because it seems like almost everyone benefits from the low ceilings.

sigh.

Kongo Jungle and Duck Hunt can be interesting CPs for us. Delfino's still eh.

Also this poll is missing Castle Siege (not that anyone should ever vote for it anyway… I always ban it).

How does anybody stand Lylat?

Ever since that stupid mechanic that makes me stop my run... mid-run, I have swore it off until/unless Sakurai fixes it. That sort of thing should NOT be happening!

Also KJ64 is so ****ing good! <3. If it ain't banned, I take people here just because I just love being able to come from under and attack, and high ceilings to avoid dying. Meanwhile, Sonic' B-Throw is essentially guaranteed kills. It's quite lovely.

Also, yeah, Castle Siege is eh. Not bad; but, not a first choice, certainly.

Reksho

Smash Cadet
NNID
Reksho
3DS FC
3840-5902-9293
Players actually banned this stage on me in their counterpick at tournaments BECAUSE I played Sonic. When I asked why, they said it's a stage with many camping opportunities and they didn't want me camping and spindashing. Little did they know that only for glory Sonics play like that.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Players actually banned this stage on me in their counterpick at tournaments BECAUSE I played Sonic. When I asked why, they said it's a stage with many camping opportunities and they didn't want me camping and spindashing. Little did they know that only for glory Sonics play like that.
In a world where a character with no approach options is considered campy on Castle Siege…

I hate people.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Smashville is probably the best starter. Platform is a good retreating point after a failed spindash, since it's scary as hell challenging sonic up there because they know his back throw can kill you at like 40 up there if he catches you. Platform doesn't really get in the way of the autocancel dair so it's just a better FD.

Delfino is good against characters with low mobility like luigi or ness to invalidate their bossing options. Castle siege similar but better against projectile users like diddy or zss. Duck hunt I hear is good against diddy since the ducks make it hard for him to get his banana out and the side platform makes it hard for him to recover high with monkey flip without landing lag.

BF is just bad not only because of the platforms but it's so small, removing the main reason to use sonic: Mobility.

HeavyMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bloodriot779
I must be a freak then as I'm starting to really like BF for Sonic... I played my friend (Mains Yoshi, who I hate fighting), and I 3 stocked him. Doing short hops and just poking through the platforms with Uair, and stopping his down B did wonders for me as I hate fighting Yoshi mains. It's even easier against other characters. I felt like a little blue shark, never mind a hedgehog cx. As for HA, I use it as a defensive measure on BF, using it to dodge projectiles or Usmashes if I'm above an opponent. I love clipping through the platforms with his Usmash aswell.

Omega and FD are also good stomping ground for Sonic. Unless I'm fighting space animals so I can avoid their pew pew-ness. Kongo is pretty good too. Still need to get used to the floating platforms though.

Castle siege... Why is that even allowed? The silly stage transitions, those stupid statues... Why would anyone consider it a good Sonic stage? The boundaries I guess? But I'm not too familiar with the boundaries on CS as I never play it, so I couldn't say...

HeavyMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bloodriot779
I was starting to feel like the only sonic main to like BF
Haha, I started to enjoy it after fighting a Peach main in a tourney, I started to see how much I could juggle people using the platforms. Glad I'm not the only one. cx

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
There's just like, so many benefits other characters get from BF more than we do. Like, whatever bonuses we get most do much better, and we're more limited overall by it I think.

For certain match-ups, sure I guess. I don't know. You need to believe me when I say I used to live and breathe BF in Brawl with Sonic but... Times have changed. I don't like saying that.

HeavyMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bloodriot779
There's just like, so many benefits other characters get from BF more than we do. Like, whatever bonuses we get most do much better, and we're more limited overall by it I think.

For certain match-ups, sure I guess. I don't know. You need to believe me when I say I used to live and breathe BF in Brawl with Sonic but... Times have changed. I don't like saying that.

Yeah, I understand... Brawl Sonic and Sm4sh Sonic are two completely different entities. He has to be played quite differently in both games. And I guess certain characters can seriously punish Sonic for trying to shark them under the platforms.

I guess it's all a matter of preference, who you're fighting and how they play. I like Kongo64, but in a recent tourney I got 3 stocked SO hard, you know those games that just make you feel like you don't even know what game you're playing? It was brutal. I honestly thought that Kongo was a bad pick for a good while. I don't know. It's all a matter of opinion. cx

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
I don't mind Lylat. Platform pressure there is awesome and if it wasn't for that weird thing where you stop mid run, running up smash to cover the three platforms is awesome.

Omegascizor456

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Aldog12
3DS FC
2449-5093-2142
I would have to say BF! With sonics up throw to upB combos at about 60-75% it really does lend to some easy KO's!:D But that is just my opinion on it!

cerealkiller

Smash Journeyman
Since I use HA a lot I tend to not like BF. It also doesn't favor dashes in my playstyle.

The only thing that might be cool about Sonic in BF (which I never tried) is if we use that one costume UP-B attack that has a hitbox. As an enemy tries to land on any of the 3 platforms we should be able to quickly get them with the fast spring.

Top Bottom