• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are Charizard's strengths?

Adamas

Smash Cadet
NNID
BackupAdamas
Recently, I decided to try out Charizard, and I really enjoy playing as him. However, since I am new to this character, I am not sure of how I should be using him. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Grizzlpaw

Rawr~ ♪
3DS FC
1289-9519-4206
Zard's stregnths?

Well for one thing, he's a freaking dragon :006:
I mean, that pri much says everything right there.

Everyone should drop shiek for char. End of story, tyty~

:006:

Okay seriously, Charizard's got quite a few positives going for him.

His biggest strength is his power. If you're the kind of player that has trouble killing... you won't with this character.
Rather than list off every kill move he has, I'll take the easy route and list off everything that isn't:

Sourspot Nair, Dtilt, Jab.

...That's about it. At least it would be, except Sourspot Nair can still string into kill moves. As can Jab 2. Jab 3 can technically kill, but they'll rarely ever reach that %. And dtilt's launch angle sets up great for gimps.

This is a big deal when fighting campers or those slippery top tiers. Keep your wits about you, and you can pull out on top. Char only needs to get in a couple of hits each stock to net the kill. He's even more terrifying with rage. If you're feeling especially balsy, one good super armor read can get you the kill when your opponent least expects it. Never sleep on a well timed fly. These qualities also happen to play into his next stregnth

He's the comback king!

Forget lucario, The match is never over until it's over with Zard. Even when matches seem hopeless, all it ever takes is a few hits and two good reads to turn the match around. Every percent they put on you just makes your already formidable kill power that much more threatening.

If Arceus is with you, Zard's Dair is godlike finisher. Few moves in the game are as satisfying.

Speaking of early kills, Char is no slouch in the Edgeguard department either.

You've probably heard of flamethrower for edgeguards, but fair, bair, dair, and ledge trump nair are also solid options when ledge guarding.
He's got some good meaty attacks to cover get up options as well.

Char's got some pretty good range. It isn't shulk-tier, but it's good enough to wall out the likes of Luigi and Mario. Use this to your advantage when fighting speedsters that like to get up in your grill. :4falcon: :4fox:

The last thing I should mention is his recovery. It isn't god tier, but it's safe. Flare Bltiz will get you back to the stage from practically anywhere.

If you're in the bottom corner of the screen, you're screwed, but few characters can recover from those depths.

*cough* :4villager: *cough* :4lucario:

As for tips, it's difficult to know where to start unless ya ask specific questions. Like, "How do you deal with high priority nairs?" I suggest checking out the Metagame Forum if you're looking for advice.

tl;dr, why do you need a reason to play zard?
He's the best character in the game. 100% no bias.

Last edited:

Darth Tobito

Smash Cadet
NNID
darth_tobito
One thing to keep in mind is that his wings don't have hurtboxes so he can beat out most aerial approaches with up tilt and up smash. Flamethrower sets up edge guards and can pressure opponents on the ledge. Rock Smash's super armor is useful but don't use it too often because it can be punished hard. With Charizard you'll end up baiting and punishing your opponents since he doesn't have much in the way of combos.

Cecil St.Cyr

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4012-3749-9731
^ All this is information ispretty good , but you guys forgot about charizards throws! Anyways like most characters charizards downthrow is his combo throw. At really low percentages you could get a nair off which could possibly string into jab upon landing or another aerial. At any percent you could stick towards fair as it's safer. Depending on the opponents DI you can get an upair instead. At higher percentages if youre really feeling it, you could start going for reads with any reasonable move for the kill. There's also charizards bakc throw, which is generally good for getting opponents offstage, however at low percentages, like 0-10 ish, it can combo into a fair if you react fast enough (better to open with this because it does more damage than down throw combos). There's also charizards forward air, which i like better than his backthrow because it sends characters almost at a favorable horizontal axis, like if you catch characters like doctor mario or little mac near the ledge when their at like 80% ish and you have a pretty good amount of rage, their done for (dtilt could do the same but this is easier depending). And finally there's upthrow, your kill throw, a very good one at that. If you have rage and you keep this move fresh, you could be killing lightweights as 110 percent, and mid weights at 120-140ish.

Other general tips:
use flare blitz sparingly, as it's easily punished, best opportunities are when opponents are landing on the stage especially after using their 2nd jump, if an opponent is chasing you as you're about to fall onto the stage, granted they don't run up and shield often, or tech chase opportunities.

Try to practice jab 2 into fly, one of the strings kumaru was referring too, which in my opinion is pretty much guaranteed if performed correctly on pretty much the whole cast

Also use rock smash sparingly, like when recovering onto the stage from above don't get predictable and use rock smash as a counter every single time. I've also heard it's a great get up option counter, but i haven't implemented this into my own game. Anyways they say it covers most of your opponents options.

Play defensively, as charizard works better on capitalizing on mistakes. As mentioned by Rumaru all you need are a couple of good hits in.

Lastly charizards grab release could lead into a jab on the majority of the cast. Like yoj could spam pummel, and when they get released you could follow up with a jab. Some characters this is guaranteed/ they have a small window opportunity to escape, others it's a 50/50 depending on their reaction like, and others it will never work period, like on luigi.

Tl;dr all of charizards throws are pretty great, use flare blitz and rock smash springly and wisely, and try to play defensively and capitalize on mistakes

Last edited:

Darth Tobito

Smash Cadet
NNID
darth_tobito
Flare Blitz can sweetspot the ledge and inexperienced opponents will rarely challenge it. Use it sparingly due to damage accumulation but it can be used as a mix up due to most Charizards recovering low.

Fly is a good OoS option if they're in your face.

Nair and Fair can be autocancelled from short hops so they can speed up your follow ups. Don't fast fall those aerials because you'll get landing lag.

Adamas

Smash Cadet
NNID
BackupAdamas
Flare Blitz can sweetspot the ledge and inexperienced opponents will rarely challenge it. Use it sparingly due to damage accumulation but it can be used as a mix up due to most Charizards recovering low.

Fly is a good OoS option if they're in your face.

Nair and Fair can be autocancelled from short hops so they can speed up your follow ups. Don't fast fall those aerials because you'll get landing lag.
I knew you could auto cancel F-air, but I did not know that you could do so with N-air. Thanks for the tip!

Last edited:
Top Bottom