• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What am I missing

Vengeance_NS

Smash Journeyman
i saw another recent Japanese tier list and they had wario top 10. What am I missing? I know in this game he's played best hit and run and very defensively. Whenever I play lame and run away it frustrates my opponent to no end. I feel he has so many bad match ups why are they putting him so high. Please enlighten me.

Ceph

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1805-2306-4996
i saw another recent Japanese tier list and they had wario top 10. What am I missing? I know in this game he's played best hit and run and very defensively. Whenever I play lame and run away it frustrates my opponent to no end. I feel he has so many bad match ups why are they putting him so high. Please enlighten me.
Could you please link me to this tier list? I mean I know Wario deserves to be higher than his eventhubs spot, but top 10? dayum

Vengeance_NS

Smash Journeyman
Quick synopsis

S: Diddy
A:Sheik Yoshi Zss Lucario Sonic Fox Village
B: Rosalina Wario

Crazy right

Ceph

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1805-2306-4996
In my opinion that seems mostly accurate, except Wario's got some really bad matchups due to his short reach. I think Diddy does well but not S tier well, and Villager... he's scary in the right hands, and the right hands seem few and far in between (so practice against him is limited)

xzx

Smash Lord
What you are missing? People who don't know anything about Wario, thinking he is High Tier. That's what you are missing.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
That tier list is based on both on tournament results and character analysis by pros, so it's probably the most accurate one in existence right now.

The few times I have actually seen a Wario in a serious tournament, he made a respectable enough showing for me to feel that he's worthy of his B tier status.

Last edited:

Jae55555

Smash Rookie
NNID
Jaeeeee
3DS FC
0275-9833-1212
Add me on 3DS or WII U and I will just show you why Wario is a high rank
:4wario2:
Here's the official list, btw:

supascoot

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SupaScoot
I think people seem to keep forgetting that wario is a complete monster in doubles. Heck, even in the first tournaments for 3DS Wario was placing high in doubles. He may not be the "best" character, but he is far better than even 50% of the cast, trying to downplay his strengths and saying that "people who know about wario" think he is low tier doesn't do anything to help anyone unless you give proper reasoning

Chaleb

Smash Cadet
Wario is actually a pretty solid high tier; the reason for this is because he has just really solid attributes. His Hitbox is fairly small but he weighs a lot, which is a extremely good combination for being harder to hit and harder to kill. His Up B got buffed, and in addition with his Bike he has an insane recovery. Chomp got significantly buffed from Brawl, and as a Command Grab that can work in the air, it's something other characters would die for. Bike is just a really good mix-up option, kinda similar to Sonic's Spin Dash, which can absorb projectiles, and also do other shenanigans with wheelies. And Waft is still insanely good for getting kills with it's big range and power. Not to mention he no longer has that weird Grab Release follow-up issue.

The main thing you seem enraged about is his air speed (you don't need to make 3 threads about it). Sure he can't short hop Down Air and weave in and out like he could in Brawl, but he still has the second best air speed in the game. You have to rely mainly on FAir and new DAir to space around and approach with Wario (great for conditioning the opponent to shield, which is a free chomp). It's different however it's far from making Wario bad with all the other strengths he has. (And I don't see why you're saying Wario can only play defensive, he's not much different with the rest of the cast in terms of how offensive or defensive he can play).

Last edited:

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
Add me on 3DS or WII U and I will just show you why Wario is a high rank
:4wario2:
Here's the official list, btw:
This tier list is really, really old. I certainly don't think Wario is anywhere near bottom tier, but it's too early for crap like this.

Kero the Invincible

Smash Apprentice
It stands to reason that a different player community will have a different meta-game.

One person in Country B may know a particular trick or play-style that makes a character work well for them, people may notice this and copy those techniques, meaning said character may see more use than in Country A.

Or, maybe a big tournament player knows one particular character inside and out, and does well with them as a result. People will start developing counters to that character rather than other (maybe potentially stronger) characters.

It's really a giant toss-up. Tier lists do their absolute best to try and measure the viability of characters, but it's as hard a thing to quantify as anything. Look at the Melee tier lists as an example; you can see the bare bones of it mostly, but standings continued to move around even TEN YEARS after its release.

In short, if you like Wario, keep playing as him. Tier lists are more a guideline than a rule at this stage in the game anyway.

Top Bottom