• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What aerials are safe on shield?

6thGodBillTrinnen

Smash Rookie
Hey there, since Smash 4 has been out I've seen some criticism that the low shieldstun combined with aerial lag means that there's not that many aerial approaches that are safe on shield. While I know that this is true to some extent, I haven't really seen a comprehensive breakdown of what aerials are actually are safe on shield if spaced or timed properly, or when autocancelled.

So from everyone's experiences, what aerials have you found that can be safe on shield if used properly? (without having to cross up)

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
90% of aerials are safe on shield spaced correctly. But here's some ballpark estimates that I believe are helpful to keep in mind.

Aerials that have ~10 frames landing/autocanceled lag MIGHT allow you to interrupt shieldgrabs with a buffered Jab, though this is a gamble and both dependent on exact timing and your opponent messing up. If the opponent is a tether grabber though, you should abuse this.

Aerials that have around ~15 frames lag typically are safe outside of Jab range, though some F-tilts or DAs might be viable punishes.

Aerials with ~20 or greater frames of lag typically are only safe if spaced at long range, or without forward momentum, ideally putting you outside of the range of most Smashes, though fast DAs can still be a threat.

http://smashboards.com/threads/all-character-landing-lag-frame-data.371503/

Last edited:

6thGodBillTrinnen

Smash Rookie
90% of aerials are safe on shield spaced correctly. But here's some ballpark estimates that I believe are helpful to keep in mind.

Aerials that have ~10 frames landing/autocanceled lag MIGHT allow you to interrupt shieldgrabs with a buffered Jab, though this is a gamble and both dependent on exact timing and your opponent messing up. If the opponent is a tether grabber though, you should abuse this.

Aerials that have around ~15 frames lag typically are safe outside of Jab range, though some F-tilts or DAs might be viable punishes.

Aerials with ~20 or greater frames of lag typically are only safe if spaced at long range, or without forward momentum, ideally putting you outside of the range of most Smashes, though fast DAs can still be a threat.
Wow, 90% is way higher than I would have expected but that's good to hear. I've just seen so many people saying that you can be shieldgrabbed out of most aerials, and I assumed it was just a lack of good spacing but I really wasn't sure if that was the case. It seems like the lack of aerial approaches has been blown out of proportion, because I've seen plenty of good players in tournaments with aerial approaches on shield that don't get punished. I think a lot of it has to do with For Glory, where the players aren't as experienced and the lag and input delay makes it so that it's harder to avoid shieldgrabs. Thanks for the info though, I've seen the list of landing lag moves but I just wasn't sure how that translated to safety on shield in the game.

Do you have any examples of some aerials that have low enough lag or high enough shieldstun to follow up with a grab afterwards? (for characters that don't have slow grabs)

Last edited:

Epok

Smash Ace

http://smashboards.com/threads/all-character-landing-lag-frame-data.371503/

Another thing to add to this is figuring out which aerials "crossup". Some aerials you can space to land behind your opponent (Like Mario's d-air), making so they can't shield grab you.

Top Bottom