• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Went to my first tournament...

J2_

Smash Cadet
...and got mad respect for playing Mewtwo! Do people really not take him that seriously? There were about 50 people in the SSB4 singles, but I was the only Mewtwo there that I saw.

Nah

Smash Champion
Yeah, most people have never really thought very highly of Mewtwo pre-patch. Though really any time anyone does anything remotely decent with a character that's not one of the common tourney picks people tend to kinda lose their **** a bit.

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
Yo nice work! when I go Mewtwo against people they usually make excuses to why they lost.

BlazGreen

Smash Journeyman
Pre-patch Mewtwo was bottom 5 so it'll take a while for people to realise he's actually decent now.

KieRanaRan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KieRanaRan
3DS FC
0662-3728-1857
I used Mewtwo in my first tournament too :) Could overhear people talking about it while I was playing.

Just glad I was able to win my first match haha.

Metros

Smash Ace
NNID
metros2soul
Playing Mewtwo generally will take people by surprise. They become even more surprised when they find out people actually main him.

Mewtwo has that stigma of being a 'bad' character unfortunately. It's only when he bring in results (which I think now after the patch he will bring in a lot more) that people start to notice and think 'hey this character isn't so bad after all.'

Mewtwo's been good from the start, but just one of the characters people tend to pass off because he's wasn't very viable. A lot of us have stuck with him from the start so we know he can be a good character, but others don't see that so easily.

I've had a few people talking when I've used Mewtwo as well. It's great when people think highly of him despite the negative response he received.

J2_

Smash Cadet
"Yo, you're 3 and 1 as Mewtwo? You're a freakin' legend!"

Oh, stop.

Last edited:

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
What region do you play in?

I live in the MD/VA region, so the nearest big scene to me is Xanadu. It's about an hour's drive at max legal speed to the metro D.C. area from Richmond, so even if my car wasn't severely messed up, that's hardly a drive I would make on a whim. There probably is some kind of Richmond FB Smash meet-up of some kind, but I haven't bothered to look. I don't have enough money to burn gas on leisure...

Anyway, just curious where you go to for tournaments. The only serious Mewtwo players I have ever seen are Mew^2 and Logic. Logic is MD/VA, and he regularly gets top 8 with Olimar at Xanadu, so even if I went there and did decent, he'd for sure show me up!

J2_

Smash Cadet
I'm in the southwest part of Florida. Was about a 40min drive to Ft Myers for this monthly

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Is the MVG crowd near you? Lots of tough competition over there. I know Florida's huge, but I can't figure out what city MVG has their get-togethers.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
MVG covers a lot of different events. The tourneys in Gainsville are the main ones I'm talking about, where Ryo, M2K, Sol, ESAM, 8bitman and family all hang out.

Last edited:

J2_

Smash Cadet
I'm about 2 hours away from that. Not something I'll be going to till I actually have a Wii U, and I'm bit better, but I'll keep it in mind.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I'm about 2 hours away from that. Not something I'll be going to till I actually have a Wii U, and I'm bit better, but I'll keep it in mind.
Yeah, that's a haul and a half. I hope you do get to go at least once, though. Ryo is my favorite Smash 4 player, so I'd love a chance to meet him, myself.

Top Bottom