• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Well that sucks usefulness of using inhale on characters

Man of shame

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ManOfShame
I got inspired form thread Gordos versus and had the idea of making the same kind thing except with the usefulness of using inhale(plus other coustom B's) on certain characters.so who do you find effective to use inhale on and which characters do you find not using inhale on.The usefulness of inhale can best be rated by: if you can dededecide them,usefulness of resetting the neutral,effectiveness of eating opponents projectiles (I find it very useful on lucario with his aura sphere and mewtwo shadow ball) and in terms of how easy it is to due on them A.K.A if our out prioritizes there moves EX: inhale beats out :4littlemac:dash attack but :4ryu: side b goes throw the inhale and hits us.I just wanted knowledge of what characters I should use inhale on and what charters who would beat me to pulp if attempt on inhaling them.

Soul Train

Just laugh.
NNID
JSXian
Honestly, Inhale doesn't "out-prioritize" anything particularly well. Unless you start the move RIGHT on top of them, opponents can always hit you out of the windbox (just takes timing). For example, Little Mac's dash attack is not "outprioritized" by Inhale...it just takes some simple timing most Little Mac scrubs don't understand. And 99% of the time, you do not want to eat projectiles - the swallowing animation takes forever and is easily punished. Good opponents will capitalize quickly.

I don't know that a list of "safe" moves would be particularly helpful - Inhale is much less a counter to specific move and much more a mixup to punish shields/spotdodges.

You are on to something though with talking about the move in general. I'm actually working right now on another video to my walkthrough series - entirely on Inhale, and it'll be chock full of breakdowns, ideas, and practical match applications. I do believe the move is underutilized, and deserves some analysis.

Texfone

Smash Cadet
NNID
Texfone
Well I DO know that inhale should work on :4sonic:'s default rolling move, but I know it will not work on his Blazing Dash Spin.

I know you can swallow most any projectile, but bombs ( excluding :4megaman:'s crash bomb ) will blow up in your stomach and cause the swallow animation to take even longer than usual. You can swallow projectiles in dire situations if you are competitive or just whenever if you are just having fun.

I use the move near ledges so I can just turn around and spit them out and edge guard or jump and F-air them or even D-air them into Oblivion if I'm lucky enough to land it.

But yes, I like them move and use it probably more than the average bear, but I don't know, i can't watch many youtube videos or play online due to my horrible Dish Network wifi, it is NOT as good as they say on TV. Inhale to the moon and back.

Inhale is basicly a free reset to neutral. My personal best character to use it against is sheik because sheik has to go in to kill you. You can catch bouncing fish with inhale. It's possible to inhale a misspaced f-air as well.

Man of shame

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ManOfShame
Honestly, Inhale doesn't "out-prioritize" anything particularly well. Unless you start the move RIGHT on top of them, opponents can always hit you out of the windbox (just takes timing). For example, Little Mac's dash attack is not "outprioritized"
By out prioritizing I mean clashing say we have inhale out and little dash attacks us we eat him but say ryu dash attacks us and he goes through are inhale and hits us. sorry about misusing the term I just couldn't fine the right way to word it.

Man of shame

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ManOfShame
Well I DO know that inhale should work on :4sonic:'s default rolling move, but I know it will not work on his Blazing Dash Spin.

I know you can swallow most any projectile, but bombs ( excluding :4megaman:'s crash bomb ) will blow up in your stomach and cause the swallow animation to take even longer than usual. You can swallow projectiles in dire situations if you are competitive or just whenever if you are just having fun.

I use the move near ledges so I can just turn around and spit them out and edge guard or jump and F-air them or even D-air them into Oblivion if I'm lucky enough to land it.

But yes, I like them move and use it probably more than the average bear, but I don't know, i can't watch many youtube videos or play online due to my horrible Dish Network wifi, it is NOT as good as they say on TV. Inhale to the moon and back.
:4sonic:side b or down b,I find eating :4megaman: f-smash pretty useful to eat due to the fact that it has enough end-lag to safely eat it and not get punished.

Jdawg26

Smash Apprentice
Due to the lack of grab armor in this game, inhale is a lot more "gimmicky" than it was in previous iterations of smash.

It's essentially a command grab when they're right next to you, or a windbox into a command grab if they're out of the grab range. So pretty much... if they're right next to you they'll get grabbed even if they're in their shield. If they're in the windbox, the won't get sucked in while in shield, but as soon as they drop shield the windbox will affect them. At this point you can be hit by any slightly disjointed move, such as most jabs etc. There's a bit more to it but it's pretty hard to explain over text.

tl;dr Inhale loses to pretty much every move except Sonic's spindash, and even then if they're moving fast enough you'll get hit. No grab armor = no priority.

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
On stage inhale is basically just a mixup option to punish players who are being overly aggressive. And of course it's great off stage for dededecides. It's ending lag is far too punishable to be used for much else.

It'd be great if they changed the swallow animation so it was lagless, Dedede would actually have something to counter projectiles. I wish it functioned on projectiles like Rosalina's down B. Or atleast have the swallow animation be as low of lag as Wario when he eats projectiles. That would help some with Dedede being so weak to camping.

Last edited:

Man of shame

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ManOfShame
On stage inhale is basically just a mixup option to punish players who are being overly aggressive. And of course it's great off stage for dededecides. It's ending lag is far too punishable to be used for much else.

It'd be great if they changed the swallow animation so it was lagless, Dedede would actually have something to counter projectiles. I wish it functioned on projectiles like Rosalina's down B. Or atleast have the swallow animation be as low of lag as Wario when he eats projectiles. That would help some with Dedede being so weak to camping.
If only taste test had reduced end lag.

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
I use inhale a lot, probably a bit more than I really should...I think it has its time and place but unfortunately it's stuffed out by well spaced and timed attacks. But, a successful inhale can disrupt your opponent's game. I like to mix-up my timing on when I spit them out, and whether I just spit them out in front of me or turn around to face the ledge.

When used properly it can be tricky for those unaware to deal with it.

AAAZZZ

Smash Rookie
I think there are times when inhale really is the best option you have, but those times are very rare.
Inhale can grab anyone very quickly that misses an attack just our of nair range and do it far faster than a gordo or a fair.
Inhale is amazing against people with less than stellar recoveries as you can jump at them and inhale instead of attack if they are coming in about even with the stage because they will die if they don't hit you out of it
I've gotten a few kills, one against a Shiek even, with the windbox of inhale pulling back their up+b while we were deep offstage allowing me to recover while I watched them fall to their death.

I rarely actually use inhale on the ground unless my opponent has a habit of running at me and not doing anything. I've been dash grabbed while using inhale too many time to trust it for much outside of air to air combat and a very situational mixup landing option. Inhale might be a good option against running upsmashes now that I think about it, but I get a sickening feeling that tells me trying to do it would just get you upsmashed because how how awful inhale is against attacks.

Top Bottom