• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Well... I made a Training Diary

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
Even After 14 years of playing Smash I still suck. Well, I decided that I was going to change that by making a Training Diary Thread
It's like where somebody wants to get good at a fighting game, but they have trouble with certain things in the game. So they go onto a form and make a post about what they need to work on and members of the community help them and give them advice to be a better player. A Training Diary is meant to help people to understand ALL THE CHARACTERS or more than just one (The reason why I didn't put this on a Character Form).
Here's the things I need to work on
  • Learn How to formulate a strategy and know how to attack with which attack
  • Work on setting up combos for each character
  • Learn how to Punish
  • Study Guides and Videos to improve my game.
  • Work on L-Canceling, NAIRS, and other techniques
  • Learn on what else I need to work on
  • Work on my Air Game
  • Work on when to use my down B (It's one of my rustiest specials with Wario
  • Get Used to his new neutral B (I kinda miss my Warlock Punch)
  • Try to understand my speed so I wont get Punished for Ganons slow animations[
  • /SPOILER]
  • Learn How to use his explosives to gain an advantage
  • Remember how many shots the Tranquilizer Gun carries and to reload during enemy respawn time
  • Learn how to use his other specials (I rarely use his Grenade and Mines)
  • Take Mewtwo's "Floatyness" and use it as an advantage
  • Use my neutral air more
  • Use his teleport dodge to get around opponents
  • Learn how to control my space with my projectiles
  • Learn how to use bombs in my combos
I hope that I can get some good advice from some players and I can learn and improve some skills

Last edited:

Mage.

Smash Cadet
To be completely honest there is only so much someone can do to help you improve. A lot of what I see on your lists are things that people can't really help you with.

For example, "Learn to Punish" how exactly would we help you with that? Besides stating the obvious like punishing missed attacks, recoveries, etc. there isn't much we can say that will help you improve. You yourself must physically and mentally make notes of what you do in game and play the game more and attempt to find/do something better. We can't just say "Oh just do x, y , z and your punish game will be 10x better"!

There's a limit to how much we can help you. We can give advice on certain moves such as how we think they should be used or some tricks we've found with them. However we can't help you in the cores of the game. That comes through experience, striving to be better and understanding what you did wrong or what you could have done better. My best advice? Record your matches if possible and watch through them and analyze why you got punished, why the attack didn't hit, maybe take note that you are playing to aggressive or maybe too passive, etc.

Best of luck though.

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
Yeah, I really don't know / don't really take what notes I need to really work on. I should maybe capture some footage if I am able to do so. This list is just a very super generalized list of what I need to do. It's not really a lot of effort put into it since it is just my first one ever (which now that I think about it it's really a bad example since I'm trying to get some more smashers to make their own Training Diaries).

Thanks anyways though

CORY

wut
BRoomer
Are you trying to get better to win locals and stuff? Or to just beat up friends?

If the former, focus down on one or two of those five characters you listed. Probably mewtwo, tink, or wario are your best choices. Go check their character boards for insight on their matchup spreads and pick two that cover one another well.

Or just one with a good spread and few terrible matchups, so you can focus everything on that and just learn to work around them.

Droß

Smash Apprentice
Your bullet points need to be more specific. "Practice my air game" is too vague and you won't be able to create consistent, measurable, attainable goals that will actually let you improve. Try bullet points like "Not hitting enough L-Cancels", "Using up air too often when my opponent is directly above me", or "using my double jump too early when recovering, and getting punished for doing so". Those are things that you can look at and figure out a practice regiment for.

waygu

Smash Lord
i did this on paper and started similar to you, here's how i got more info:

games that youre actually focused on and trying consciously in should either be saved (replay or stream) optimally or take your notes while the game is in your mind

analyze these on both micro and macro levels, applying then to yourself and your opponent. (ex - i landed an upsmash oos for a kill but i failed trying to do it multiple times)
  • what was done well/correctly/successfully
  • what was done bad/incorrect/unsuccessfully
  • what habits were presented and how did it effect you
  • what things did your opponent punish and how could you have done things differently
these are broad questions that get a lot of subtopics to analyze. i did it for a month or two and now im better at adapting on the go when i really put my mind to it

Last edited:
Top Bottom