• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Weird thing happened with the SV platform.

Sheepy

Smash Rookie
I went for the up throw kill, regardless of landing back on the platform or Smashville itself, and the game created a ghost platform.

I went for the throw, go up, platform goes away, I came down, game created an invisible block for the throw to connect to.

Not sure if this is new or not. I've never experienced it any other time besides the other night.

charizardbro

Smash Apprentice
I know that if you land on the very edge of a platform, the animation from Uthrow slamming into the ground creates a ghost-ish platform that extends off of the original one but I'm too sure I understand what happened for you.

Can you explain it a little more? Did you whiff the platform entirely? What position were you in when you got the grab?

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
Yes, this even happens on Town and City, although the platform disappears quicker. My only question is whether this happens on Castle Seige when the ground drops from under you during transitions.

Strider755

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ike755
3DS FC
1220-7045-0584
I think this was intentionally programmed in to prevent self-destructing if there's nothing below where the platform was. I've seen this too, when I thought I could get a suicide KO that way.

rrrRandy

Smash Cadet
I'm not sure if anyone still cares, but I actually labbed some stuff on Peach's Castle (64) a few months back with regard to Charizard's Uthrow.

Basically what happens is when you use the throw, you (and the opponent) ascend a certain distance that reaches to a point just underneath the upper blast zone from where you initiated the throw. After that, you then come down again, descending by that same distance, but not necessarily ending where you started:
  • If the descent is blocked, you'll finish the throw where the descent is blocked. (What you'll usually be trying to do by landing on a higher platform.)
  • If neither the ascent or descent are blocked, you'll travel up and down the same distance, ending up in the same position as where you started, even if the platform on which you initiated the throw has disappeared/moved out of the way. (The phenomenon described in the OP.)
  • If the ascent is blocked but the descent isn't, you'll travel up into the vertical obstruction and get stuck on it before descending the distance between where you initiated the throw and the upper blast zone, ignoring the obstruction, resulting in you ending up lower than you started. You can achieve a double-KO suicide throw like this. (Not possible on any legal stage as it requires a moving platform underneath a solid roof, such as in Peach's Castle.)
The reason you can't use FLUDD to push Charizard during the first half of his Uthrow is because both Charizard and the character being grabbed become intangible during the ascent. However, you become tangible again during the descent, so it's probably possible to FLUDD it on its way down and cause it to land somewhere a bit higher in the air for an early KO. There's no way to force a suicide throw outside of the scenario mentioned above, though.

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
I'm not sure if anyone still cares, but I actually labbed some stuff on Peach's Castle (64) a few months back with regard to Charizard's Uthrow.

Basically what happens is when you use the throw, you (and the opponent) ascend a certain distance that reaches to a point just underneath the upper blast zone from where you initiated the throw. After that, you then come down again, descending by that same distance, but not necessarily ending where you started:
  • If the descent is blocked, you'll finish the throw where the descent is blocked. (What you'll usually be trying to do by landing on a higher platform.)
  • If neither the ascent or descent are blocked, you'll travel up and down the same distance, ending up in the same position as where you started, even if the platform on which you initiated the throw has disappeared/moved out of the way. (The phenomenon described in the OP.)
  • If the ascent is blocked but the descent isn't, you'll travel up into the vertical obstruction and get stuck on it before descending the distance between where you initiated the throw and the upper blast zone, ignoring the obstruction, resulting in you ending up lower than you started. You can achieve a double-KO suicide throw like this. (Not possible on any legal stage as it requires a moving platform underneath a solid roof, such as in Peach's Castle.)
The reason you can't use FLUDD to push Charizard during the first half of his Uthrow is because both Charizard and the character being grabbed become intangible during the ascent. However, you become tangible again during the descent, so it's probably possible to FLUDD it on its way down and cause it to land somewhere a bit higher in the air for an early KO. There's no way to force a suicide throw outside of the scenario mentioned above, though.
Well that sounds like an amazing thing to do in casual play. Interesting that it works that way.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
So ascending, nothing works on Zard. Coming down stuff works on him.

An invisible platform prevents suicides from Dreamland and other places.

Interesting and glad this got brought up.

Top Bottom