• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Weird problem with files breaking my computer...

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
Hey so i downloaded PM 3.6 last week, but havent had a chance to play it yet. I just tried installing it to my sd card, but it had an issue transferring a number of files over. Seems to be Pac and pcs files that are having problems. Ive noticed that i also havent been able to open a lot of these files in brawlbox either.

Anyone know what the problem here could be??

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
K guys, im seriously having issues with the new P:M. Is there liek a virus in it or something? Or are the files corrupt?

Every time i do ANYTHING with the PM files, my computer starts acting like a psycho. It freezes, its slow, the files wont transfer properly. I re downloaded PM, and my computer told me it could be harmful. So i duno whats going on.. Please help!

Edit: Most recent thing is when i try to extract the PM files from the zip, i get an error "can not be completed due to I/O error".

Last edited:

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
sounds like your PC.

what Os are you using? what Antivirus? can you try someone else's PC?

I'm using windows 7. But old versions of the mod work just fine. I can edit files and extract, transfer easily.

I use avg. And I can try using another computer I just don't wana break theirs too lol.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
so as soon as you rightclick > unzip what happens?
try disabling your AV
Is there something new added to the newest version that would cause these problems with the antivirus?

And what happens now is it causes my computer to freeze up after 30 seconds of un zipping. And 2 times back to back I tried it now, and it crashed my computer and caused a blue screen upon startup (very quick one so fast I couldn't read anything). Then my computer won't start again until it runs a system repair. It's quite annoying!

The first time I tried to extract when re-downloading the files, I got that error I mentioned before half way through the extract

Anddd the reason I re downloaded it was cause the original one I extracted (which worked), I couldn't transfer the files to the sd card! Nor could I open a number of the files in brawlbox.

Last edited:

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
Just to add, keep in mind.. I can unzip older versions and transfer the files and edit files just as I did in the past. They're all fine. Just the new 3.6 is causing these issues

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
what are you using to unzip with?
I normally use 7-zip, I tried that as well as windows explorer (you know, windows has a built in zip reader). Both gave me similar issues. Actually 7 zip is the one that broke the computer. Windows explorer only caused slow down and temporary freezing, and causes the program to crash (so I can't unzip the files)

My antivirus doesn't seem to come into play at all from what I can tell. Though, the one time I downloaded PM 3.6 the other day, google chrome told me that the file could be harmful to my computer and wanted to remove it (but I clicked ignore and keep file). And that's the only time that happened to me for downloading pm.

Last edited:

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
Not yet. I guess i'll give that a shot when I get home. I just am worried im gona get the same problem and have to go through another startup failure.

Does it actually make sense for the new version (and only the new version) to have issues with avg or chrome? It really doesn't make too much sense to me lol.

I'll give it a shot though when I get home today.

Narpas_sword

i don't know, I don't code for AVG =p

This is definitely a problem with your pc, not the zip file though.
Try turning off AVG.
Try another zip program (winrar?)
Try on another PC

That's pretty much all i can recommend.

Top Bottom