• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

waveshine question

Justin

Smash Apprentice
Alright, I've been doing nothing but practicing my waveshines for the past couple days and I just got a little question. What is the max amount of waveshines you successfully performed against someone before either messing up or just moving on to another move? Because I just landed 4 in a row against my friend and that's a new record for me because I usually only can get 2 down before I **** up or my opponent gets away. I'm not talking about infinites or anything like that. I just want to know if I am on par with the majority here because I feel very comfortable with everything else and the only thing I think I need to work on before I start entering big tournaments is getting even better on my waveshines.

takieddine

Smash Master
158 is my max in training mode, my hands just got plain tired...>_>

Dont let this worry you too much, if you play a smart fox, you should be more than decent.

Samus-T

Smash Lord
i can usually pull off about 5 waveshines into an up c-stick on my friends peach.i dunno it depends on the character you're playing against.id say you could nail a fast faller maybe 3 times with repetitive waveshines and do about 6 or 7 waveshines to a character like ganon,marth or peach.

takieddine

Smash Master
Waveshine is an infinite...
You can wavedash past some characters bringing them back and across FD...

I've drillshine infinited across FD and back though(if that counts for anything)

Sorry what i should have mentioned was that they are in-place waveshine combo.

Myztek

Smash Ace
I can waveshine til I run out of stage. However, if there's a wall, I can do it for a long time. Usually my arm starts getting really tired, though. The most I ever did it was on a Ganon from 90 to 200.

Alright, I've been doing nothing but practicing my waveshines for the past couple days and I just got a little question. What is the max amount of waveshines you successfully performed against someone before either messing up or just moving on to another move? Because I just landed 4 in a row against my friend and that's a new record for me because I usually only can get 2 down before I **** up or my opponent gets away. I'm not talking about infinites or anything like that. I just want to know if I am on par with the majority here because I feel very comfortable with everything else and the only thing I think I need to work on before I start entering big tournaments is getting even better on my waveshines.
Landing consecutive waveshines in battle isn't important or effective.it is only used for follow ups,not to be used consecutivly

I think 6 or 7 will be quite good but drillshine is better
Nair>Shine are more effective.Drill shines are only good at higher percentages,and still remain situational.

Trust this,you won't be able to Aerial>Shine combo your opponent as much as you would think...

Justin

Smash Apprentice
Good ****ing god...4 is a long *** way from 90 or 158. Maybe I should stop being stubborn and read up on those infinites...

And I guess as far as my waveshining goes..I'd just like to be able to connect with 3 or 4 on average and then follow up with a smash attack or something. It's just when I get two or more..I try to see how long I can keep it and don't do the smart thing and follow up and then my opponents have time to get away.

Oskurito

Smash Lord
Waveshine is an infinite...
You can wavedash past some characters bringing them back and across FD...

I've drillshine infinited across FD and back though(if that counts for anything)

Sorry what i should have mentioned was that they are in-place waveshine combo.
For some reason drillshine is easier for me, maybe it's because is slower and just requires timing on the buttons but it's better because it deals more damage +you need less waveshines + If you make a dair and DI towards your opponent when you connect with your shine he or she will be send in the opposite direction your facing so you can waveshine backwards turn around and repeat this can make drillshine infinite posible on more stages.

EnigmaticCam

Smash Ace
Number of necessary waveshines = (Vertical Kill % - Opponent's Current % - ~18%) / ~4

The safest thing to do is one waveshine to an upsmash. It's far more effective than attempting to infinitely waveshine and mess up without the upsmash. If you're good at waveshining, only do what's necessary to kill your opponent.

takieddine

Smash Master
^^what he said^^

also dillshine to wavedash JC grab into uair is MOST of what you need against a lot of characters.

Thats an easy 30+ combo there...

FastFox

Faster than most vehicles
BRoomer
In all honesty, it doesn't matter in the least how many you can do against someone. It's all about how you utilize it. Waveshining into grabs, u-smashes, u-tilts, jabs, and even Thunder's Combo are things that you need to learn to do. Multiple waveshines show nothing.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
You really should know some solid tactics/mindgames..waveshining alone won't get you anywhere..have fun playing falcos.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
The only tie I'd go for a waveshine to shine spike accross the stage sort of thing would be if I was at a high percentage and likely to die and they were at a low percentage. ie on my last stock at 100% i'm facing a good falcon at like 20%. Then you might as well go for it, unless you're really confident.

But most of the time you don't have to do multiple waveshines in a row. Against falling opponents you can get off a usmash, or just plain follow them for a follow up grab or w/e.

Justin

Smash Apprentice
Eh, why is everyone assuming that I don't know "solid tactics and mindgames"? I'm not trying to be able to do 6 or 7 waveshines in a row thinking that is going to win me any matches. I'm just trying to get better at waveshining and be able to mix in multiple waveshines out of the blue just to flaunt my sexiness and "show off" if I have the match under control. Multiple waveshining my opponent is sure as hell not the first thing I'd attempt when a match started. I'm just trying to get better at it and be able to do it for the sake of "completing" my Fox. Because like I said..I feel very comfortable with my ability using Fox and getting better at waveshining was the only thing I had left to do before I felt complete with him. I mean sure, there is always room for improvement, but for right now I feel good about my Fox. But like I said...it's only for the sake of feeling complete and to show off because I'm a prick like that. =)

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
The waveshine infinate is entirely theoretical, to actually get anything more than 3-4 in a row in a high calibur match is impressive.

But I've watched 100s of videos of professional fox's. Save a few matches you rarely see giant waveshine comboes, usually the fox player will drillshine to a grab, just because its safer.

That's what I think anyway, since you don't see that many huge waveshine combo's in pro matchups im guessing its very difficult to land on a skilled player.

I usually just go for the grab out of my waveshine, I rarely get a perfect wavedash after my shine so im never close enough to do a 2nd shine, so I dashgrab. That's what i see going on in most pro fox vids anyway..

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Watch Chillin play Sastopher(I think) during FC6 on mute city...I think it was during crews..waveshine madness ^_^

Bailey

Smash Hero
Dude basically I have done it across FD and back like 10 times dude once you get in the pattern for the first 5-8 you just do it and then the whole jumping behind them for the infinte but that is another story.

marthmaster04

Smash Ace
If your having trouble following the waveshine into another one just with your wavedash distance. Practice walking out of them untill your close enough to shine them again. Just make sure your close enough within the time on the hitstun or your gonna get attacked or sheildgrabbed.

as for me, I can waveshine without need to stop. Its too easy. xP

Justin

Smash Apprentice
I haven't posted in here in a few days so here is a little report.

I think I got my waveshining down to a science now. I can mix it in well with my other combos and I got out of the habit of trying to waveshine too many times in a row instead of using it more intelligently. So all is well and I appreciate everyone's input, suggestions and help.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
It really isn't nessasary to learn that >_>..You can just turn around in the shine...

FastFox

BRoomer
Turning around in the shine is like doing a regular waveshine, only you tap an extra direction (which is the direction you want to turn).

Once you get it down it's a piece of cake.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Yep, fastfox got it.

Oskurito

Smash Lord
I'm already used to waveshine backwards but if you say that turning around is easier... I'll try and master it anyways because I've already mastered most of fox techniques and I'm getting bored...

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
I personally find both easy, what's hard is combining them so that while running you dash cancel, shine, turn, then backwards waveshine to an edgehog.

FastFox

BRoomer
Look at it this way.

If you waveshine someone facing backwards, the only thing you can do out of it is either turn around inside the shine and grab, which takes too long to do, or short hop out of the shine with a bair. If you turn around in the shine while you waveshine the person, it's a perfect setup for numerous things.

@ce

Smash Apprentice
last resort for me is to waveshine them off the lvl. orrrr if u wanna intimidate someone, go straight for the waveshine off---> shine spike at the veryyy start of the match. if they get away within 2 secs give up. but it feels sooooo good to get it on someone within the beginning. intimidation!

just noticed that hes done. sooo yea...... this thread is done

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
..Just waveshine whenever you get the chance..if you connect with a drill or shine you can start waveshining.

Top Bottom