• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wavedashing With Falco

Magellan

Smash Cadet
I am beginning to reach the point where I can reliably wavedash. I find myself using it in-game at the worst moments, however, and for stupid things. What are some of the practical uses of wavedashing (namely with Falco) and what are some specific combos/techniques you use that apply wavedashing?

I played Smash 64 for many years and then Brawl ever since it came out. I recently found the glory of Project M so I am still very new to the concept of wavedashing. My reflexes and my brain just haven't caught on yet.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
It might be best to watch some high level falco play. Axe is a good place to start, in PM. If you wanna watch falco in his native environment, watch mango, zhu, westballz, PPMD etc. You'll see plenty of uses.

Here are some basic things you can do:
-Baiting
-Making your movement more diverse

Wave shine
Shine> full hop wave land onto platform
Shine> sh shine> waveland onto platform
Both are great mix ups
Even if the shine hits, wave dashing/waveland afterwords makes it a thousand times easier to follow up. Gauge the situation.

You will want to learn how to RAR wavedash so you can grab edges quickly. Hold towards the edge when you slide off, so you can grab it quicker.

Oh and you really wanna save the waveshines for mix ups on your shield pressure game or low % combos. Those wave shine combos work well against fast fallers( like fox, mk, lucas wolf or etc) waveshines are really good for catching rolls. Rolls are one of the better ways people use to get out of shield pressure. Your best shield pressure options, are shine grabs and double shine>[insert follow up]
Falco's shine is a tad better for shield pokes because you have to be a bit closer to the opponent.

Oh and be aware of the lag(commitment) of a wavedash. You have 9 frames special of landing lag, remember this always.

Last edited:

Boomhound

Smash Apprentice
Outside of wave-shine and wave-landing your wave-dashes need to be practiced not alone but as part of your movement so that it's reflex where you need it most.

What I do is practice wave-dashes in my dash-dancing, like this:
(Arrows mean Dash)
<- , -> , <- , wave-dash right.
And then the opposite, which is..
-> , <- , -> , wave-dash left.

Tricky at first but has really helped my movement, hope I explained it alright :p.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Also since it wasn't explicitly mentioned, Wavedashing Out of Shield is a great option as well if you need to get away. If you're holding out shield and they approach you could theoretically wavedash back and cover some options depending on the MU. It's a good OoS option for most everyone in the cast in certain situations.

Top Bottom