• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Watch me get owned by DarkM of The Odo Faction

Smash_Of_Fate

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Babael_Of_Fate
3DS FC
1134-7601-5121
http://www.twitch.tv/theodofaction/b/580610962

I come in at 1:38:00.

Lulzy match starts at 1:41:00. Forgive me, I forgot to press X when I chose Random for our stage.

First set actually starts at 1:44:00.

Second set starts at 2:45:00

Mains are Sonic, Bowser, and Charizard. I'm in the process of learning Mega Man, Duck Hunt, and Shulk though you'll only see Dunk Hunt on stream.

Any criticism is appreciated constructive or not. One thing I did notice after watching our matches is that I have a bad habit of rolling or moving backwards after I re-spawn from a KO. I don't know if I was giving DarkM too much respect or what but I now have a mental note of that as well as a few other bad habits like using Bowser's Fortress OoS offensively instead of defensively.

Again any criticism is welcome, I'm especially looking for the input of @MrEh and @ Sonic Orochi Sonic Orochi for the obvious characters of course.

EDIT: Forgot to add, DarkM calls me Babael because that's my Twitch name Babael_Of_Fate. DarkM's Fair/Bair too STONK!

Last edited:

Sonic Orochi

Smash Ace
That's kind of unusual (asking for criticism from someone who's not exactly a "tourney player"), but here we go:

• Approaching with SC right away isn't really recommended because it's easy to see that coming. Not only that, the SD offers better options such as the shield cancel, the new lolcharge jump and the hop can throw some timings off as well;
  • Know your dair autocancel height. The Spring got nerfed, so keep that in mind as well;
  • Don't cancel Spring momentum with Fair: its recovery time was increased so you might miss the ledge if you do it. Go with an air dodge instead;
  • Edge guarding with HA works way differently now. I still need to study more on how the new lock on mechanic works but, as of now, I'd recommend against using it offensively when off stage (or at least don't use it as you used to in Brawl);
  • On stage bairs should be carefully and sparingly used (if used at all). The new landing lag is terribad;
  • Don't overuse dair on stage (specially when not autocancelling it);
  • Use SD more and SC less (balance it out, actually);
  • He was spamming Din's Fire when you were off stage. That was a good opportunity to use HA (and maybe even a reverse HA, which could help a lot in some situations);
I guess that's it (I only watched the Zelda matches. Were there any more?). You should probably post this on the S4nic boards for more opinions, though.

Last edited:

Smash_Of_Fate

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Babael_Of_Fate
3DS FC
1134-7601-5121
That's kind of unusual (asking for criticism from someone who's not exactly a "tourney player"), but here we go:

• Approaching with SC right away isn't really recommended because it's easy to see that coming. Not only that, the SD offers better options such as the shield cancel, the new lolcharge jump and the hop can throw some timings off as well;
  • Know your dair autocancel height. The Spring got nerfed, so keep that in mind as well;
  • Don't cancel Spring momentum with Fair: its recovery time was increased so you might miss the ledge if you do it. Go with an air dodge instead;
  • Edge guarding with HA works way differently now. I still need to study more on how the new lock on mechanic works but, as of now, I'd recommend against using it offensively when off stage (or at least don't use it as you used to in Brawl);
  • On stage bairs should be carefully and sparingly used (if used at all). The new landing lag is terribad;
  • Don't overuse dair on stage (specially when not autocancelling it);
  • Use SD more and SC less (balance it out, actually);
  • He was spamming Din's Fire when you were off stage. That was a good opportunity to use HA (and maybe even a reverse HA, which could help a lot in some situations);
I guess that's it (I only watched the Zelda matches. Were there any more?). You should probably post this on the S4nic boards for more opinions, though.
Directly after our sets I came here to look up new tech and have been using SD more as a result. I've stopped using HA near the edge as much because I accidentally SD sometimes since now HA send you flying down the pit if they air dodge/spot dodge. I'm not familiar with how a reverse HA is different in Sm4sh so I'll be sure to look it up. Thanks for your input I'll be sure to cross post this in other character threads. Side note I know you're not a tourney player but you always gave a lot to the Sonic boards even back in Brawl which is why your name stuck out in my mind. Oh and no, DarkM only used Zelda for our sets.

Last edited:

Sonic Orochi

Smash Ace
Haha, nice to know that I've somehow helped you in Brawl and was remembered for it.

The HA knockback now sends opponents in the direction Sonic's facing. Therefore, reversing it when recovering will make the opponent end up off stage, switching the edgeguarding roles (although it is incredibly risky if you don't have your second jump available, in case the lock on fails). Be sure to check the moveset thread for more info on a lot of new stuff for S4nic.

Top Bottom