• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

WARNING! "Smash Overload" rom hack is a scam to make money.

Uair

Banned via Warnings
WARNING, this is a semi-real rom hack(will explain later) but is illegally taking donations for a commercial project on a licensed Nintendo product. Under the fair use doctrine this is illegal but to circumvent the law they could make it "educational" however that would require them to give out documentation and in depth information on the rom hack(Redistribution of the game in rom or cartridge form would still be highly illegal). However It appeared strange how the creator refused to do so, so after further investigation I've concluded it's actually a scam. Clever modifications done to make it appear as a full fledged project or rom hack.

For anyone who doesn't know, the creator of the Falco/Bomberman characters rom hack started his own project recently. At first glance everything appears legitimate since he has previously created custom characters in SSB64 by modifying their geo layout. However after further analyzing the video it's blatantly obvious the project is not what the video shows. It appears as if he's created an entirely new character skeleton, implemented his own moves, animations and behaviors. And made all of this into one single rom hack. However none of this is the case, probably because it would be too time consuming or difficult for him to do. As things stand the reason there was no release of documentation or the modifications made is because the rom hack is not what it was presented to Kickstart donors as.

(Here is my comment on his kickstarter video explaining how and what's fake/a scam, reference this when watching their video)

LIST OF PROOF THIS IS A SCAM AND NOT EVEN A REAL "ROM HACK" (It's just clever video editing, texture editing and an already known method of editing the geolayout of character models)
1:26 - 1:28 the cursors reset positions when he "presses L", it was far fetched to begin with that he would create entirely new characters and not modify existing ones.
1:48 - 1:51 He made the star rod invisible so it appears as if he replaces the characters attack with a different attack.
Entire Video Was was replacing existing characters with new geometry data. Conker is ness, geomon is mario, rayman is luigi, and banjo was Fox holding an invisible star rod. (Damage is exactly same as star rod) Ultimately this is a "fake rom hack" or rather not what he presents it as. You cannot play as Conker and fight Ness. Nothing here is worth 10k, not even 100 dollars. IT's entirely a scam to make money. Anyone with knowledge could do this, there just has never been an incentive to do so. However illegaly taking money for a scam is not an incentive to make a SSB64 rom hack, it's called greed. You're going to get sued and I'll make damn sure of it if you recieve a single cent for this. I will notify the entire Smash Bros 64 community that this is a scam and should not be taken seriously.

I will not be linking anything related to this rom hack here. You can google it your self. I highly suggest everyone report their kickstarter (scroll to bottom of kickstarter page, click the report button and login with FB/register account) as well as all of their information to Nintendo of America. I personally wrote an IC3 report on with all the information on the creators/owners I had.

Last edited:

RPGgrenade

Smash Apprentice
it's pretty clear all he's doing is making reskins and charging an extreme amount of money.
He even has a FAQ on his video's comment section, and completely doesn't justify the amount of money he's taking for this. And doesn't even attempt to address the possibility of Nintendo destroying him if the information gets out any further. Which makes me think he either doesn't intend to make anything or is too dumb to realize that little detail.
I've done a similar amount of changes in about a month in terms of character modification and whatnot... for free... there is literally no reason for him to need this money other than for scamming reasons, even IF it were legitimate.

Uair

Banned via Warnings
it's pretty clear all he's doing is making reskins and charging an extreme amount of money.
He even has a FAQ on his video's comment section, and completely doesn't justify the amount of money he's taking for this. And doesn't even attempt to address the possibility of Nintendo destroying him if the information gets out any further. Which makes me think he either doesn't intend to make anything or is too dumb to realize that little detail.
I've done a similar amount of changes in about a month in terms of character modification and whatnot... for free... there is literally no reason for him to need this money other than for scamming reasons, even IF it were legitimate.
Modifying existing character geolayouts is the best he can do. He cannot create entirely new characters or implement new behaviors to "polygon alts" to make them replicas of their counter parts. It appears to me given everything I know and can assume that he's presenting his rom hack falsely because it would be far easier to simply pretend he's implemented features that he may intend to but hasnt done so yet. The fact he illegally begs for money is what makes this unacceptable. It's one thing to spread a false video of real rom hacks, but it's another to take money for it plus a company's licensed product. On so many levels this is ridiculous... This guy could of actually contributed to helping create a Smash 64 major rom hack project or at least documentation. Instead he chose to lie and beg to steal peoples money. It's pathetic.

If anyone wants to file legal complaints against this guy on behalf of nintendo or kickstarter I'll help just PM me. It's fairly straight forward just report exactly what's going on and with more reports he's sure to be taken down.

Last edited:

Uair

Banned via Warnings
well they did take down there vid on yt. the vid is still up on kickstarter tho lol
Update: Looked into it, im not sure if they ran with the money but they deleted their kickstarter and youtube which leads me to believe they took the money and ran.

Kickstarter has an accountability thing, the backers should report it.

Last edited:

RPGgrenade

Smash Apprentice
Update: Looked into it, im not sure if they ran with the money but they deleted their kickstarter and youtube which leads me to believe they took the money and ran.

Kickstarter has an accountability thing, the backers should report it.
I'm fairly sure you don't get ANYTHING on kickstarter unless you actually reach the goal. Which they didn't.

Uair

Banned via Warnings
I'm fairly sure you don't get ANYTHING on kickstarter unless you actually reach the goal. Which they didn't.
What? Are you 100% sure. I Really hate kickstarter because I can't contact ANYONE!!! I tried my best to contact the backers, I ended up having to DoX them and msg them on FB. They haven't responded yet but there was mainly 1 guy who donated a few thousand dollars. I just want to make sure these guys didn't get 5k then run with it.

RPGgrenade

Smash Apprentice
What? Are you 100% sure. I Really hate kickstarter because I can't contact ANYONE!!! I tried my best to contact the backers, I ended up having to DoX them and msg them on FB. They haven't responded yet but there was mainly 1 guy who donated a few thousand dollars. I just want to make sure these guys didn't get 5k then run with it.
I believe that was the main draw of Kickstarter. An all or nothing correspondence. Only getting charged upon a successful kickstart goal. I think there are other places to get the "whatever you get given no matter how successful it is" thing. But I'm fairly sure Kickstarter isn't that.

Abnormal Adept

Smash Rookie
NNID
AbnormalAdept
yea kickstarter gives u the money when u reached the goal. otherwise, the money on hold is given back to people

Uair

Banned via Warnings
Well this guy has abandoned ship. People donated to him, whether he got the money or not his actions show how far this project was going to go. I honestly hope the worst for him in his life. He could of done a lot of good but chose to be greedy.

RPGgrenade

Smash Apprentice
it could've been a much better potential if he shared his findings or was willing to share them at all.

Top Bottom