• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Want Midna Back? Make Yourself Heard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yitik

Smash Cadet
[Note to mods: I certainly hope this is acceptable here, and in the right forum. If it should be on a different board, please just move it as we're short on time. If it really has no place here at Smash World PM me and let me know so I don't go ballistic ;) . If it doesn't follow a certain rule please just let me know so I can edit. Things go faster, although I understand your need to keep things clean and orderly in such a large forum. Thanks much in advance.]

FOR THOSE WHO HAVE NOT BEATEN TWILIGHT PRINCESS, SPOILERS WILL BE YOUR DOOM.

I figured I should tread lightly here seeing as I haven't exactly solidified myself as a member, but when I was passing over this forum I couldn't help but notice that it was in fact a board generally revolving around Nintendo, and that it had...three hundred members on at two thirty in the morning Mountain Time. I put two and two together.

So Midna fans, rejoice! WMB has come to SWF. Just what is this? A free-for-all discussion about Twilight Princess? Some fan club? Close, but no cigar. This thread is for all of you who felt like someone punched you in the stomach when Midna disappeared through that fading portal while the Mirror of Twilight shattered behind. In the opinions of many of its participants, WMB is that glimmer of hope through what looks to be darkness cast by Nintendo's blind eye towards the genius that's been put into this amazing character. So stop stalling and answer the question, you say? And I answer: We Want Midna Back.

We are sending a mass email to Nintendo in hopes of bringing them to their senses, to see that Midna was more than just a one-time character and perhaps, eventually, lead to a second game featuring her, and worth her brilliance.

Maybe you're a little skeptical. Chances are, you're thinking "Game companies never do anything with fan mail," or "Petitions never work." However, be relieved that this is more than a bit of fan mail, and much more than a petition. This is a seven-page long (and growing, not counting fan art) compilation of wise words and heartfelt utterances from Midna fans around the world. It is not a petition. Petitions are hollow and flat. They have no life. One can just as easily sign a petition as ask a friend to do it for them, and this is why they are useless. With effort and a little luck, WMB will punch through the customer service wall.

So now perhaps you're convinced. Or maybe not, but you still want to try and see if you can't get your thoughts to the brains of Nintendo, and you're wondering how you can contribute. It's certainly not as simple as writing your name. It does require some analysis and expression, but even with just ten minutes of your time you can help this little project on its way. Right now, unless you have other ideas, there are four main ways you can contribute:

1) Responses - This is the most common, and simple, way of helping out and getting your face out to Ninty. Just talk about Midna. How her story made you feel. Why you think she was such an affective and moving character, and thus deserving of a return. Maybe she even changed your life in one way or another (don't feel silly about it; there are people out there who felt truly changed). Only the best responses are taken, but if you contribute well with at least four or so sentences, and have some truly unique and supportive things to say, you're a shoe-in. All we ask is that you do not try to give them story ideas, that you don't directly bash any other individual characters, and that if you really want your reply to stand out you give us the right to use your signature in the email. Makes it look snazzy :p .

Trance said:
As a girl gamer, I find a lot of female leads infuriatingly weak and lack lusture, with very little to admire. What Midna brings is exceptional, and her character is something to look up to.. She is strong, able and still maintains her femininity. She's an equal to Link, the hero of the series, and they have a symbiotic relationship. Most importantly of all, she isn't a flawless character; she experiences a learning curve and develops as a person. She's a remarkable creation, and her character has a fantastic vibrancy.

It would be complete shame if her story and her character were simply left by the wayside; the affection her character has stirred within a lot of peoples hearts is amazing. So please, don't get rid of a strong woman like her, but bring her back and add another layer of depth to the saga that is LoZ.
2) Poetry - Ah, yes. If music be the food of love, play on. We have had some truly spectacular poetry come through from several different sites. It does take a bit of effort and talent on your part, but the end result really does have an impact. All we ask for this one is that you truly put your best foot forward (we're a bit more picky), and that again you provide us with a direct link to your sig banner if you have one.

Chi said:
The sunset falls upon my shadow
Pulls me to the floor
The Twilight Princess draws me in
Through an open door

All around I strain to see
Is there someone there?
Straight ahead I see her smile
Suspended in the air

Take me back
Through your door
Twilight reigns
Forever more

Twilight wraps its arms around me
Pulls me to the ground
Vision pulls me through the darkness
Making not a sound

Sun is fading never moving
Casts and eerie light
Victim of eternal sunset
Never reavching night

Stand before the throne of Midnight
Illuminated Sols
Feel the power surging through me
All that Twilight knows
3) Fan Art - We try to stray from the more lovey LinkxMidna stuff (anything beyond what we see in the game is generally passed over, just because of certain concerns by members and contributers), but anything from sketches to pastels to full-blown painted canvases are welcome here. Talent isn't even that much of an issue; it shows diversity. So if you have something to show us, and let us put into the email, it's just one more way of really showing Nintendo your fandom.

I won't post fan art here just because of bandwidth. If you want to see potential Midna fan art...heck, just head down to DeviantArt or something :p .

4) This final way of helping out is to...tell other people! Yes, as many as possible. Right now, I'm spreading the word about this to other forums (TheHylia was high on the list, but we ran into...problems, so this is a little last minute), but you don't even have to go that far (if you do, let us know the site name and we'll add it to the list; currently we've been to NSider2, Midna Fan Forum, Zelda Universe, Smash World Forums and TheHylia). Even if you're not that big of a Midna fan, you may have a friend who is. Let him/her know about this thread so they can come and show their support!

Now you know probably more than you needed to know to make your decision, but hopefully it's been a bit of inspiration to you. If you want to see the unedited text (again, no fan art in there just yet, but we do have a lot we want to put in) you can go to http://midnafanforum.com/index.php?topic=7568.msg252855#msg252855 (we don't have an official page or anything, but MFF is accessible to all viewers so it's best if you go there if you want to have a look-see). So, with that, I believe my explanation is finished. If you've got questions, positive and intelligent comments, just want to talk a bit about Midna to get the neurons buzzing or (hopefully :p ) have a contribution for the email, use this thread.

I...wait, almost forgot. Got this nasty bit.

UNSUPPORTERS: Unfortunately, on every forum (with the possible exception of the MFF; I think they have a hive mind) there are people who see a thread like this and figure the best course of action would be to spam or flame the heck out of it. Please don't. While discussion is a good thing, we want to keep this place as clean as possible, and I think the mods would agree. We're a little short for time as it is (this is being sent off in a matter of weeks), so please curb your superiority complexes and leave the fans to their own devices. Thank you :) .

Alright then. See you later.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Game companies don't take ideas from fan mail for legal reasons.

Online Petitions don't work.

To clarify: Topics like this belong in their respective game posts. We can't have topics for every character from every game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom