• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wall tech Up-B against a counter

Bag'O'Nuts

PM4LIFE
Hey guys I've been trying to improve my teching lately especially the wall tech. I mostly play against my brother an ,Ike main. He normally edgeguards me with Counter (down-B), forcing me to sweet spot, which I've gotten pretty good at. However I wanted to know if you can wall tech the counter and if you can at what point should I buffer the tech? I can't seem to figure out the timing or is it just impossible? I've been practicing it quite a bit with different Di's and buffer times but I'm not sure what to do. Do I buffer as soon as the Ike begins his counter or as soon as I get hit by Ike's sword? Any help would be sincerely appreciated.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
mechanically speaking, there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to wall tech the counter. the only think i can see that would be the biggest issue is that if you are missing the sweetspot such that you are getting hit by the counter, then you might be too far up vertically to be able to SDI yourself down enough to make contact with the wall.

it might be a gruesome method, but i would recommend trying it out in debug mode. get a second controller and grind out through frame advance to see what you can pull off with certain spacings and timings and what not. just get some focus for 30 minutes and youll probably be able to discover a lot.

Bag'O'Nuts

PM4LIFE
I personally have gotta say no you can't wall tech the counter because the counter
Well I tell you the honest truth when I say I have done it before, numerous times, on PS2 and Dreamland 64. Because of the threat of counter I usually have to sweet spot recover for down low. However on the off chance I'm just a bit high I'll get hit by the counter. But right in the beginning. Roy is touching the stage and the tech is possible. I know because I have done it. I've been working on SDI to make sure that I maximize my chances of pulling it off reliably and it is slowly improving.

Last edited:

Nicko

Smash Rookie
You have to press L exactly once within the 20-frame window before you touch the wall. You'll be touching the wall as you SD nto it during the hitlag of Ike's attack. So you need to press L before his attack begins--that should be right around the time your sword strikes him.

So, assuming you're recovering from the right side of the stage:

1. as your upB begins, go ahead and hold c-stick left. This will force an ASDI movement at the end of the hitlag.
2. as your sword strikes Ike, pesss L once. This will buffer the tech.
3. during the hitlag frames of Ike's attack, tap left on the a-stick, or do a quarter-circle leftward roll from the up-left notch to the down-left notch. This, or the ASDI, will hopefully push you into the wall.
4. make sure you're not holding up on the a-stick as your tech begins, or you'll techwalljump and die anyway!

If you're so high that you can't walltech, you really missed your sweet spot badly and you deserve to fall. However, there should definitely be a range of heights at which Ike's downB will hit you but where you can still walltech.

Last edited:

Bag'O'Nuts

PM4LIFE
You have to press L exactly once within the 20-frame window before you touch the wall. You'll be touching the wall as you SD nto it during the hitlag of Ike's attack. So you need to press L before his attack begins--that should be right around the time your sword strikes him.

So, assuming you're recovering from the right side of the stage:

1. as your upB begins, go ahead and hold c-stick left. This will force an ASDI movement at the end of the hitlag.
2. as your sword strikes Ike, pesss L once. This will buffer the tech.
3. during the hitlag frames of Ike's attack, tap left on the a-stick, or do a quarter-circle leftward roll from the up-left notch to the down-left notch. This, or the ASDI, will hopefully push you into the wall.
4. make sure you're not holding up on the a-stick as your tech begins, or you'll techwalljump and die anyway!

If you're so high that you can't walltech, you really missed your sweet spot badly and you deserve to fall. However, there should definitely be a range of heights at which Ike's downB will hit you but where you can still walltech.
Thanks for the explanation. I feel that I normally hold left on a-stick after upB while i hold left on the c-stick left. Do I need to reset the a-stick to neutral or can I hold left continuously a-stick?

Top Bottom