• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

VS UpB-abusing Link

Knickknacks

Smash Journeyman
(as of 12/22/06) A few hours ago, i brought my cube to school and played with my fellow classmates, Then i faced this guy who uses a nasty link. So far, this guy's Link doesnt abuse the boomerang but has a very good approach game. He just eats up the fireball i throw to him.
He combos by starting with an upthrow and if this guy is startled by my attacks or cant figure out what i will do , he starts to do an upB which he does most of the entire match.
He ledgeguards with an upB and hits before my Mario can touch the ledge. So my problem is what can i do in order to approach his link before he starts/or while in hes' upBing? Thnx.

nitro-blazer

Smash Lord
I'm not a Mario player, but if you were to waveshield into his Up B, you would be free to attack even if the attack was still going on. The ground spin attack (Adult Link) can only hit each player once each use, so if it hits a shield, it will be nullified.

As for the edgeguard... I'm not sure what options Mario has, seeing as I never play Mario. If you're high enough you could airdodge, but this could sitll get you hit.

maelstrom218

Smash Lord
The majority of the time, players who tend to spam or rely on up-b with Link do so in a specified pattern. Unless they're complete idiots (which may very well be the case here, who knows), they'll do it under certain situations. Your job is to figure out what triggers the up-b, and when you do, don't trigger it.

For example, if rolling behind him causes the Link to use up-b, stop rolling. If every time you try to jump in he uses up-b, then alternate your approach by dashdancing or wavedashing, or empty short hops to try and bait the up-b. If you're throwing out random jabs/attacks when he shields and he likes to up-b out of shield, then don't attack or pressure him too much when he's shielding; just jump the hell out of there.

Up-b is VERY easy to get around, mostly because scrubs don't use it correctly. When you figure out how the guy uses up-b, be sure to take advantage of the lag. Grab him into a combo, or go straight into a jump-cancelled u-smash or dash-cancelled d-smash. And in any case, up-b is vulnerable from above. Falling d-airs into grabs/u-tilts work nicely.

If you're approaching Link, just be evasive. Don't rush in blindly, because that's probably what's getting you killed. Again, a combination of dashdancing, wavedashing, and empty short hops (combined with some rolling or spot dodging if you're into that) should keep you outside sword range until you find an opening. Link is like a tank; he's hard to land a hit or grab on because his sword range is pretty decent and his projectiles are like a friggin' wall, but provided that you're patient and poke him here and there (figuratively and literally; with fireballs, baiting, f-tilts, wavedashing forward into jabs/tilts) you should do fine.

Link's up-b edgeguarding should NOT hit you if you sweetspot the ledge properly. And if fireballs don't work, then don't spam them anymore, just use them sparingly when you have the space and the chance. Trying to out-spam a Link is quite possibly the stupidest thing any Mario could decide to do. :ohwell:

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Whenever i'm link i spam up+b because its effective as an attack,edgeguarded etc.
I suggest that if you're mario, you try to convince him to use up+b and then you shield and then you can either grab him or hit him after he misses. I wouldnt say that mario is the best against link so i'd suggest marth being a link counter in my opinion.

technomancer

Smash Champion
Blarg, Up-B spam is so bad... I mean, bad practice. It's Link's laggiest attack and one of the laggiest attacks in the game.

Quick tips:
Always tech away from Link, and not in place. He can chase this with a boomerang, but whatever.
If you're slow in following up, just use a grab (jump-cancelled preferrably). Mario's grab is quick, so even if he has time to pull out a spot-dodge, you're probably still safe, and Link doesn't have any hyperfast moves that he can pull out to counter this. You can also dash in and downsmash pretty easily.

Off the edge, just fall until you can barely grab, then up-B to sweetspot - you shouldn't have much trouble avoiding the spin attack. Don't venture too close when falling by.

Irons K. Jillican

Smash Rookie
Basically, you need to trick him. Use Mind games. Wd all around, in and out, then when he UpBs or whiffs a grab, go in, and grab and Uair combo his ***.

^_^

FireBomb

Smash Lord
Interesting, I started abusing upB a short while ago...
If you're in the air and he's waiting for you, you could try getting close, then when he uses upB, try using your cape to stall. If you time it right, you may be able to outlast the UpB then safely get back to the stage. You could also DownB stall with Mario, but not everyone can do that effetively. Learning to sweetspot the ledge from below standing ground would be beneficial, as maelstrom says.

Xx swift xX

Smash Apprentice
On the Ground: Triangle jump to mait it, then WD in and combo the **** outta him

Edgeguarding: Definately a lot trickier. I don't remember if the UpB is ledge-techable, but if it is you should try that (ledgeteching it). If not, vary your timing and strategies for getting back to the stage. If you're already close to the edge, try to stall a little with the cape. Make sure you sweetspot ledge, unless it'll still hit you.
Does it hit below the edge? Maybe you can walljump up and up over him?

Return_to_Sender

Smash Cadet
against an upb spammer use your shield cause links upB only lets him hit you once then after that just go up and punish him just start with a grab maybe down throw to chain.
then you can up throw into uair combos
against someone who edgeguards with it the best thing is to sweet spot if i remember mario can sweetspot under the attack hitbox (i forget who can and who can't but most can)
but most of all mindgames should be used making your opponent think your going to do something and him in a mad frienzy will do the upB where after that punish him for it
i'd know for being a link main

Top Bottom