• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Vs. R.o.b.

Stash23

Smash Rookie
That robotic operated bast.... -growls- I lost to one with my Pit! T_T Constant spamming with that laser and Gyro. He'd just do Laser>Gyro> Laser. Now if you think that's easy to dodge or reflect... psh... if you get in range, he does that stupid D-Smash, Side-B, or the down-A repeatedly. Coming down; he prepares his UP-Smash so you can't get to him. If not that, he'll Uair , juggling more damage. Uses the Gyro, which has decent knockback, uses it at an item; arrows can't be used too often or else they're deflected or considered spam; he'll air time off the stage to shoot projectiles and charge the Gryo. And to make the whole situation worse... ROB won't go anywhere at high percents! Like.. geez just until today I found out how heavy a char he is... >_> ROB doesn't wanna go any where when I smash him. -growling-

EDIT: And oh! Do not even mention trying to get him when he's off stage. His recov is insane... He TRIED to do the Wall of Pain! If he misses, he'll do the Nair and GEEZ does that have knockback! X_X -groans- Then there's the grabs... doing a ROB Tombstone on my poor Pit... then finishing me with a backthrow. That throw is deadly... a horizontal one, but one that sent me flying. Oh and another thing... whenever he sends me flying a laser beam comes my way! I.. just... can't... -dies-

Anyhow, any Pit players that experienced such ROB players, or know of a strategy to use against one? Much appreciated.. -sighs at defeat-

sagemoon

Smash Lord
I cant really explain too well how to win in this match up but i'll tell you I have played very good ROB players and won. Normally a rob will do a downsmash out of spotdodge, you can hit him by doing a downsmashed thats timed. Uairs **** rob... really really **** him. Forward tilts are also very useful in this matchup. A good killing move is the backair. But i suggest arrowing a ROB player if he is off the edge unless you really know what you're doing and can uair him off the edge (that normally kills him). Reflect his lazer with your mirror thingy... Its easy to predict when they are going to use it and if not than you dont get punished so oh well. Use arrows to pressure the rob at mid range, not long range. Mix up the angels you shoot the arrows. Why? For fun. It has no use whatsoever. But yeah keeping pressure on might make him do something punishable like spotdodge then you go in with a downsmash (this is why you want to be at mid range) hope this helps

Edit: Uair to forward air works effectively too.

sagemoon

Smash Lord
I disagree to the bair off stage. Its very easy to predict and is punishable due to its lack of range vs rob. Robs fair will always hit you unless they are dumb or you have hella mind games.

sagemoon

Smash Lord
he f-tilts you sit at mid range and arrow him... shot hop arrow angle down to hit his head so you get priority.

Levitas

the moon
Honestly, I camp him with arrows. You've got a viable reflector in the shield that can deal with gyros and lasers.

Dthrow > Bair seems to work against him ok at low/mid percents, but really you want to outcamp him till he's at a kill percent and then finish him off. Rob's better at edgeguarding you than vice versa.

His range/reach/priority is better than yours. If he spotdodges, start jabbing, he'll probably be downsmashing in a sec.

Try to win. If you can't, do better than you're currently doing. Then try to win.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I was gonna post one like that!
Rob slightly has more range, and that jabbing A spam is too overwhelming. Its the Neutral Air that gets me, but I'm going to change it somehow...
And the mirror shield to reflect Rob's projectiles.

sagemoon

Smash Lord
that neutral air has soo much start up lag. You can either m-shield it or wait for it to be over and punish him for it.

henrytran

Smash Apprentice
My friend plays ROB almost exclusively, and while I have trouble with my Link, my Pit is able to juggle him with ease. ROb is strong, heavy, and can literally move almost all over the place when recovering. But he's slow, and his range doesn't make up for the fact that Pit's spacing/speed is better than ROBs by far. Wall of Pain+Arrows is your best friend vs. ROB, and don't be afraid of letting him make the first mistake; you have two reflectors to screw up his gyro and reflecting back his laser with good timing is an extremely strong mind game. The start ups for both lasers and gyros is a noticeable, though not THAT slow. Watch it and have it burned into your mind and ROB will say gg no re soon enough.

Levitas

the moon
I know this doesn't help much against ROB, my apologies for that, but juggling is really good against falco. Falco's almost laughably helpless when he's above you, so dthrow to uair at low/mid percents, then usmash to uair at mid/high percents, and uthrow or usmash to arrow to uair at high percents (when it's not possible to kill right then).

Rob's fast enough that you'll only get an arrow or two before he's in your face, and his tilts are generally better than yours. He's got a fast forward air that reaches quite well, and his downsmash reaches farther than your fsmash. I try to capitalize on arrows as much as possible, then get the advantage in spacing, but it's been really rough.

ChokE

Smash Apprentice
My problem with rob in a range situation is most of my arrows don't work anymore because my friends get really good at dodge them and distinguish the attack by sound. if i just arrow, i just gave them time to charge up laser. I still don't get see how to counter or stop rob f-tilt beside just roll back because or else i just keep getting hit

sagemoon

Smash Lord
I know this doesn't help much against ROB, my apologies for that, but juggling is really good against falco. Falco's almost laughably helpless when he's above you, so dthrow to uair at low/mid percents, then usmash to uair at mid/high percents, and uthrow or usmash to arrow to uair at high percents (when it's not possible to kill right then).

Rob's fast enough that you'll only get an arrow or two before he's in your face, and his tilts are generally better than yours. He's got a fast forward air that reaches quite well, and his downsmash reaches farther than your fsmash. I try to capitalize on arrows as much as possible, then get the advantage in spacing, but it's been really rough.
yeah but your f-tilt is farther than his downsmash and your downsmash comes out faster. Know your spacing and you will hit him before he hits you

Stash23

Smash Rookie
Well good news people. I was able to handle ROB with Pit's spacing and predicting ROB's attacks. -shakes head- ROB's Nair is so deadly, but fortunately I was about to handle that and other moves by blocking, arrows, etc. But yeah, I was able to handle this ROB, but there's another ROB that this topic originally is referring to. Hopefully, I'll be able to get a rematch. Anyhow, thought on informing all that helped. :)

In addition, to add to the topic, here's a few tips. Whenever ROB's charging at you (running at you), it'll be avoid to stop him with an arrow. BUT if you try to sweespot him (dodge to go behind) HOLD that shield. Immediately he'll go into a dsmash. When that happens, shield it through into a grab. Bash him a few time and then down-throw into an Uair.

Pressure him; do running-fake outs to confuse the strategy he think he has, then arrow him. Often I find myself seeing my opponents preparing for me when I run at them, I SH backward, then arrow. Usually they get frustrated then just come running for me.

Finally to add (cause I'm busy with school work) expect ROB's alternate moves like his Fair, Nair and Bair if ROB's aerial. Air dodge or block into a smash. (It usually works for me.)

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Normally that ROB uses Neutral A just when I was going to attack him in the air. And he even pursues me when i get knocked off the edge. I will find a way to change this...
Maybe because of my aggression was the reason why i lost, but If i can beat an Ike with my aggression, that does not explain the simple defeat from a ROB.
I'll have to fight casually then.

Top Bottom