• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

VS Mario - Matchup Discussion and Analysis

A_Kae

Smash Ace
Last edited:

SPoitter

Interior Crocodile Aligator
this MU is dumb, both characters have no real means of approach. Marth generally outranges most of Mario's moves leading into trades or unfavorable positions, and Marth's grab game as well as combo game pails in comparison to Mario's, so the whole MU is just Marth really getting in quick blows and then hitting with a tipper fsmash at like 60%. Another thing I know if, Mario cannot cape Marth's Up-B as it trades, so if Mario doesn't tech that's likely a stock gone from the both of you

edit: oops, I forgot about Mario approaching with Fireball, you might wanna perfect powershielding because there is no counter to this imo, you'll be forced to jump or shield a incoming grab or setup, both are bad

Last edited:

miniada

Smash Journeyman
NNID
miniada
Mario main here IMO
:4mario:35:65:4marth: easily marios worst he can't approach get out ranged marth has more damage output and a lot more kill power
:4mario:45:55:4lucina: same mu but lucina has less range damage output and kill power than marth

DarkestSin

Smash Rookie
if he's throwing a fireball from a distance just jab the fireballs. if he's coming from above you and throws a fireball just roll and try to get some pokes in. if he's trying to down A. if you get the timing down you'll either clank or you'll hit him. since his first jab is a set distance my favorite setup is jab to fsmash. i also feel if you want stage advantage just choose a stage that has platforms. my friend that mains mario doesn't like going to battle field at all. he said marth has a huge advantage over him with platforms. but for most of mario's plans of attack you can just jab.

ARKills

Smash Cadet
NNID
sl33py1
3DS FC
0404-5541-7941
Well from playing both sides of this matchup, I think Marth's range and neutral game gives him the advantage. The matchup is pretty much all footsies and spacing for both characters. Marth doesn't have much trouble dealing with Mario's fireballs and can space him out with his superior range and disjoints. He can stop a lot of Mario's approach options and has an easier time approaching Mario than Mario does against him. His new jab and dtilt are both great at getting Mario off of him and back to tipper range. Marth also has an easier time closing off stocks with his tippers, up b OoS, and kill set ups, with rage up throw also works well. His aerials also do a good job at edge guarding Mario's recovery.

Mario has trouble getting in on Marth, a lot of his usual approach options get stopped by Marth. Instead he has to rely a lot on baits(either through the occasional fire ball or just movement) so that Marth makes spacing errors. Mario can mess with Marth's spacing with fludd, but that's something that should only use when you're in a tight spot to reset neutral.
A lot of Mario's combos work well on rack up a lot of damage for him in the few times that he can get in. Marth's recovery is edge guarded just as easily by Mario.

I'd say this is 60:40 or 55:45 for Marth. Marth is generally going to win neutral more often and he has the edge on his ability to land a ko but Mario's great combo/string game make things not too bad for him.

I'm not very good at explaining these kind of things so anyone feel free to correct anything that's wrong.

Last edited:

SherrdreamZ

Jubilant Adept Princess
NNID
SherrdreamZ
Mario main here IMO
:4mario:35:65:4marth: easily marios worst he can't approach get out ranged marth has more damage output and a lot more kill power
:4mario:45:55:4lucina: same mu but lucina has less range damage output and kill power than marth
Ithink this is just about right, however if both players are equally skilled at spacing i feel the advantage is 60:40 for :4lucina: and 70:30 for :4marth: which makes this one of Mario's hardest matchups. I could go more into depth however this MU is mostly self explanatory. ive faced Mario's that were equally capable, and once you shut down his grab game and make it all about footsies his options are very limited. +3 IMO

Last edited:
Top Bottom