• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Vs. link around the edge

Idfection

Smash Apprentice
Hey, guys... been a member for a while, but this is the first time I felt the need to post, lol

I need help with my CF vs. a link around the edge.

I'm no great player or anything, but I do know how to pull off a fairly long wave dash most of the time unless I'm nervous or haven't practiced *sweat*

... and I can short hop everytime if I try (a recent feat I'm proud of, sadly... harder with CF than my previous main)

I can't pull off the l-cancel on the shffle every time yet, but i'm trying.

Those were just to let you know what you have to work with.

Now, aside from getting better at the basics, I need some help against my link friend. We're on the same level, pretty much, but he owns me aroung the edge.

first, when he's recovering, he FFs really low and comes up to the edge or just over it, and I can't get in past his sword to do anything, and he always makes it back.

Second, when I'm recovering... well... simply put, he up-b's. If I do catch the edge, I usually attempt to edge hop up and knee, but by then he's back far enough for me not to be able to reach him, yet still close enough so that I can't catch my footing on the edge to hop over him. Maybe I need to work harder on lengthening my edgehop knee? I don't know if it's possible for me to get that far...

Any help is appreciated,
Thanks in advance. :)

technomancer

Smash Champion
This is a pretty easy problem to solve. First of all, you can ledgehop neutral air, the second kick of which has a touch more range than the knee (or you can use a uair).

If you get hit alot, simply tap L before you reach the ledge and you'll tech it. The timing isn't hard, but it's sooner than a normal tech, so be aware.

If you can't pull off a knee in time to catch him, simply use your standard edge jump wakeup, and you'll go over boomerangs, spin attacks, and most other ideas he has, and regain the stage. Where you should be able to pwn him 'cuz CF pwnnnnnnnnnns link :D

Edgeguarding link is another matter altogether; it's usually just a matter of hitting him while he's recovering, before he up-B's or hookshots. A n-air or knee tap (followed by a uair if you can) is almost an auto-kill, because Link doesn't regain his momentum very well without his jump. If he tries a bomb-recover, just knee him out of it, or jump out there and grab his bomb with Z lol :D

As a rule of thumb, if he's recovering high he'll probably go for the hookshot, if he's going low, he'll probably opt for the up-B. My link is hookshot crazy so I'll always hookshot, but these are patterns you can pretty easily pick up on. For the up-B, as he approaches the height of his attack, you can jump just past him and B-air him into the stage for a stagespike, or just edgehog, and use your invulnerability to either land a knee or a stomp->knee, or roll up -> forward smash if you can get the timing down. You can also stomp him out of his up-B pretty easily, and U-tilt will often trade if he fails to sweetspot.

Vs. the hookshot, if he gets a sweetspot and takes it quick, there's nothing you can do until his invulnerability runs out. Don't mess around too much near the edge, as he has a pretty good edge stall and ledgehop game, so try to just avoid taking damage and knock him back off.

If he misses the sweetspot, just hop off the side and use your double-jump to B-air him, or knee him as he pulls himself up from the grapple :)

I think that about covers it. You can also knee him straight out of his up-B if he fails to sweetspot - it'll either trade or break it if you time it right.

Idfection

Smash Apprentice
Wow.. Ok.. a lot of that really helps... especially getting behind him and bair-ing, as I would have never thought of that ...and I hadn't really been putting those invincibilty frames to good use, either. The Link rarely uses his hookshot, but if he starts being more active with it, I'll know what to do now. I've never even heard of teching the ledge when you're hit... I'll have to start practicing that right away.
Where he positions himself, I usually suffer for the standard jump wakeup one way or another, but then again, I do get back on the stage if my damage isn't too high. I'll practice the nair, and see if it works in the situation soon enough.

Thanks for all the advice, it was really awesome and just what I needed... and you gave me plenty of options. Thanks again, it's really appreciated.

Top Bottom