• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

VS. Kirby's copy ability

KokiriKory

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
kokirikory
3DS FC
2148-8224-6270
Anyone run into any trouble against Kirby's copy ability?

I heavily rely on my side special as a constant annoyance. I just played a very good player, in all regards, but in particular he completely neutralized my Olimar by throwing Pikmin right back at me. I could not approach.

Any input?

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Anyone run into any trouble against Kirby's copy ability?

I heavily rely on my side special as a constant annoyance. I just played a very good player, in all regards, but in particular he completely neutralized my Olimar by throwing Pikmin right back at me. I could not approach.

Any input?
Run in and power shield. He can't use it in the air either, once your in on him it's fair game.

Freezie KO

Smash Journeyman
Jump and throw it over his throw. Yellows also arc over his throw. You should be able to outcamp him.

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
If the Kirby starts to spam Pikmins, then is a bad Kirby and you must punish him for that.
When he realize that isn't a good tactic to spam our boys, he will recover his gameplay and you will be controlling the situation.
Just be aware of the throws he does and keep distance, thats the idea.
At least that solved the situation for me =).

moofpi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
moofpi
3DS FC
0473-8866-3506
Kirby does get a great version of our Pikmin throw though, it's like a kamikaze machine gun.

extremecoopster

Smash Cadet
NNID
kittykat2
Kirby can use the ability for gimps, right? I don't think the Pikmin latch on in Kirbys copy ability. His advantage is the fact his Pikmin are more expendable.

Like that custom special...

Last edited:

extremecoopster

Smash Cadet
NNID
kittykat2
Came across a Kirby on For Glory. By God, it was doing the same thing we are talking about on this thread. All it did after copying me was spamming the move. It was easier than expected

Last edited:

Blue Banana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
2ndDerivative
3DS FC
4038-6328-0283
I messed around a bit with Kirby's copy ability and Olimar's Tackle Pikmin Throw in Training and took down a few notes.
- Pikmin thrown by Kirby can get hit by a nonfatal attack, like a white fair or sometimes Olimar's own Tackle Pikmin Throw. In the case where Kirby's Pikmin gets hit, it will get back up, return to the spot where he threw it, and die there.
- Two reds or yellows will just pass through each other. In every other case where two Pikmin collide, it's a little difficult to tell. Most of the time, Kirby's Pikmin will beat out Olimar's Tackle Pikmin, but there were some cases when they just both hit each other and fall to the ground simultaneously.
- Kirby is limited to only 3 Pikmin on the field, like Olimar. This isn't really relevant in the matchup a lot unless Kirby's Pikmin gets hit or if Kirby is throwing them offstage. In the case where there are 3 Pikmin out, the animation still occurs but with no Pikmin projectile.
- For some reason, Kirby's Pikmin do more damage than Olimar's own Tackle Pikmin Throw. (7/6/6/5/9, in order of R/Y/B/W/P, compared to 5/5/5/3/8)
- Kirby's 3rd neutral B, Jumping Inhale, gets a copy of Sticky Pikmin Throw instead, intentionally or not. It does the exact same damage as Olimar's and is easily stopped by Olimar's Tackle Pikmin Throw.
Wrong info, see this thread.
- EDIT: Plucking in the air does nothing, but Kirby's animation doesn't cancel out when landing unlike Olimar's.

In any case, Olimar should be able to keep Kirby out, given that Kirby's most effective only closeup, but I wanted to find a few facts about worst case scenario since I see people talk about how getting the Copy Ability makes the matchup lopsided.

Last edited:

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
I messed around a bit with Kirby's copy ability and Olimar's Tackle Pikmin Throw in Training and took down a few notes.
- Pikmin thrown by Kirby can get hit by a nonfatal attack, like a white fair or sometimes Olimar's own Tackle Pikmin Throw. In the case where Kirby's Pikmin gets hit, it will get back up, return to the spot where he threw it, and die there.
- Two reds or yellows will just pass through each other. In every other case where two Pikmin collide, it's a little difficult to tell. Most of the time, Kirby's Pikmin will beat out Olimar's Tackle Pikmin, but there were some cases when they just both hit each other and fall to the ground simultaneously.
- Kirby is limited to only 3 Pikmin on the field, like Olimar. This isn't really relevant in the matchup a lot unless Kirby's Pikmin gets hit or if Kirby is throwing them offstage. In the case where there are 3 Pikmin out, the animation still occurs but with no Pikmin projectile.
- For some reason, Kirby's Pikmin do more damage than Olimar's own Tackle Pikmin Throw. (7/6/6/5/9, in order of R/Y/B/W/P, compared to 5/5/5/3/8)
- Kirby's 3rd neutral B, Jumping Inhale, gets a copy of Sticky Pikmin Throw instead, intentionally or not. It does the exact same damage as Olimar's and is easily stopped by Olimar's Tackle Pikmin Throw.
- EDIT: Plucking in the air does nothing, but Kirby's animation doesn't cancel out when landing unlike Olimar's.

In any case, Olimar should be able to keep Kirby out, given that Kirby's most effective only closeup, but I wanted to find a few facts about worst case scenario since I see people talk about how getting the Copy Ability makes the matchup lopsided.
Great research, thank you for this. I'm waiting for your information :D.

Blue Banana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
2ndDerivative
3DS FC
4038-6328-0283
Last edited:

NotAsian

Smash Journeyman
Yep trying to recover and he threw a red pikmin at me and I was killed, it had super knockback compared to my pikmin which just latch on to him and attack wtf

Top Bottom