• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Vs. Fox

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
I feel like this matchup deserves a specific thread; this is absolutely THE hardest matchup for my Palutena, and I imagine it's definitely up there in the top 5 hardest matchups for any other Palu main. It feels like, no matter how well I play, if the Fox player is at the same skill level as me it will be impossible to win. The match will go on and on, and while I won't suck, it's obvious that I'm taking more damage over time than Fox is, until eventually I'm KO'd. You can even see this happening in Aerolink's matches with good Fox players; the match will go on for a long time because a good Palutena player is adept at spacing out their opponent and surviving, but a competent Fox player is fast enough to weave through her defenses.

Is there any way to win? Is it maybe better to just pick up a secondary character?

TastyCarcass

Smash Apprentice
dash attack. kill with a dthrow up air. Always go after him when he's recovering. Your tilts are disjointed. Your jab is a much larger range than his. If he's going to nair you, side b and punish. You are just as fast as fox is.

LyonelNoale

Smash Cadet
If you can time it right, your Up Smash can decimate Fox's side B, especially when they're trying to recover. It's extremely difficult to pull it off, but if you notice that your opponent has a tendency to use their Side B often or for recovery, then try it out.

(**this is simply from experience - since this is how I managed to beat a fox player recently on For Glory)

Also, when you do lose, make sure to save the replay - as much as it hurts to watch yourself lose, it can be an extremely effective learning experience. Look for situations where you could have countered, and analyze what moves were predictable or situations where you got punished.

Palutena's Side B (Reflect) will be extremely useful, I found, since some Fox's really do like being trigger happy, and being able to reflect their lasers can rack up damage pretty quickly. Also, it can help you figure out which of YOUR moves are the most effective, and which are not.

...this is all just me brainstorming random things... sorry if they're kind of obvious, just trying to help. Hope I did. :)

EDIT: also, don't forget your handy counter! It can help change momentum~

Last edited:

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
As we all know, Fox is an incredibly strong character. Fast moves with low lag, good KO power between up-smash and bair, and decent combos with dash attack, nair, and u-tilt. His one weakness is that he lacks range. This may not seem like an issue (and to be honest it doesn't really afford you any major advantages over him). But the fact that he has to commit whenever he attacks. Any time he nairs, dash attacks, etc., his moves are associated with some risk because his lack of range means he can't really space moves safely. He has to commit to reads and reaction to movement.

Fox has two major threats on the ground: dash attack and dash grab. If I tell you to shield, you will likely respond "then I get grabbed", and if I tell you to move around, your riposte is certainly "then I get dash attacked". The secret to avoiding both of these situations consistently is to MOVE and SHIELD simultaneously. Dash to shield one way, dash to shield the other way. All the while, watch Fox's movement like a hawk. If he lands near you with a nair, dash attack. If he whiffs something laggy, go for a grab. Note that you will have to have quite good reactions to execute this kind of neutral game, because it depends on your observation of your opponent.

(Added note: the key here is to have unpredictable movement with relative safety. Always be moving to the opposite of where Fox thinks you will go and utilize shield to ward off the wayward hitbox)

Mix in spaced fair/bair occasionally to be less predictable (or if it is more optimal for approach angles). Counter can indeed be useful if you find yourself pressured by hitboxes. Always prioritize good stage position, and teleport to center stage if need be.

Last edited:

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
Is it just me or does D-throw -> F-air seem to not work on Fox (or Falco for that matter) ... they fall too fast usually

Top Bottom